10/08/17 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center

gunsguy

Cool - good to see them doing anything different. Another encouraging sign is that the encore only had 1 cover and not 3. 

TWAT sounded good with Slash - he stays close to the original solos which is fine. 

Madagascar - meh. I like parts of the song, but I never liked the guitar solos - there's one main one which is really annoying along with Axl's "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...." which is even more annoying. That and the pointless samples bring it down. Would have been the perfect song for Duff and Slash to overhaul but they didn't really change anything. Maybe it's a personal song for Axl and he wasn't comfortable with them adding changes?

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Axl's voice is seriously damaged, and it's appalling that people don't realize that. I don't remember any previous version of TWAT where Axl simply doesn't bother going anywhere near the high raspy notes after the solo. Even Axl knows something is wrong and is staying within very conservative limits, with is cause for worry at his age.

This high raspy voice was the one he used during his AC/DC tenure and it's either gone or cracking all over the place since 2016.

• Like 1

I saw some clips and holy hell that was bad. Lately, the vocals have either been spot on or just fuck awful. That's just how I feel about it. I'm seriously reconsidering if I even wanna go see them live myself. I'd rather not sully the image I have of gnr as live performers by risking a bad show. On top of that, I was planning going to the second show and I know Axl's voice will be shot after giving his all for the Sunday show. TWAT made me cringe jfc.

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

x1000

Seriously.. I was starting to get excited about my show coming up... This has me thinking about trying to sell my tickets but I would end up losing hundreds of dollars..

Nah, don't do that.  I'll never understand those that sell their GNR tickets.  

C'mon, we all know it's different when you're there.  The atmosphere will be great, the crowd will be on their feet singing their hearts out, Axl will mysteriously sound OK, and it's always, always awesome to see Slash live.  Never fails to be completely mesmerising.  Ditto Axl and Duff.  Go. Do not even contemplate selling tickets. ;)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, gorillaz said:

I saw some clips and holy hell that was bad. Lately, the vocals have either been spot on or just fuck awful. That's just how I feel about it. I'm seriously reconsidering if I even wanna go see them live myself. I'd rather not sully the image I have of gnr as live performers by risking a bad show. On top of that, I was planning going to the second show and I know Axl's voice will be shot after giving his all for the Sunday show. TWAT made me cringe jfc.

Go to the show. Live is a different thing. The mix is good, so you can't tell the details of the voice. You'll have a good time... just dont listen the first part of this i love and also go out before paradise city :D

23 minutes ago, soon said:

@MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle I agree with others that Slash kept very close to Robins There Was A Time solo.  Not as much to Bucketheads.  Since the two solos kinda just go into each other as the leads keep going through the brief vocals between them, maybe it would help to clarify if you mean both Robins and Buckets solos?  Of course you could jut not enjoy them and thats fair, but he plays Robins lines as closely as possible imo?

Well, for me, it's not about how accurately he plays the solo or not; I don't mind at all if he puts his own stamp on it - that's what I was hoping for.  What I don't like about it is the tone.  Just an awful, awful tone.  Parts of it sounded close to Robin's but then parts sounded like some weird thing Slash's guitar threw up.  And the lack of feeling, lack of emotion.  What little personal stamp I detected didn't make sense in the context of the song?  Look, it's really hard to describe. LOL  I just didn't like it.  

I've read through the thread now and seems I'm in the minority.  But you know, never mind.  I'm happy that they changed the set list at least.  I'm surprised there was no mention of Tom Petty though.  

I think this is one of the best versions of TWAT theyve done. Sure Axl doesnt go as high as he has previously, but it was a consistent performance and the verses where he typically struggles he did better bringing in those lower register parts. Mads was good, suits Axls current voice.

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Well, for me, it's not about how accurately he plays the solo or not; I don't mind at all if he puts his own stamp on it - that's what I was hoping for.  What I don't like about it is the tone.  Just an awful, awful tone.  Parts of it sounded close to Robin's but then parts sounded like some weird thing Slash's guitar threw up.  And the lack of feeling, lack of emotion.  What little personal stamp I detected didn't make sense in the context of the song?  Look, it's really hard to describe. LOL  I just didn't like it.  

I've read through the thread now and seems I'm in the minority.  But you know, never mind.  I'm happy that they changed the set list at least.  I'm surprised there was no mention of Tom Petty though.  

Fair enough.  I agree that when it comes to Slash we'd love to hear his stamp.  Just was confused how you could dislike it so much given the similarities.  For me Robins solo always sounded robotic - and I liked it.  I swear I can see Slash physically restraining himself to let the notes hang and and to let the weird 'robotic' bends sit.  I feel like he totally just goes into lost territory on the Buckethead solo (which when we saw it rehearsed at start of tour - from the VIP early entry peoples periscopes) that he had stronger lines.  That solo i think I agree with you on.

Truly sorry you didnt dig it.  That must be a huge let down!

Yeah, totally about the no Petty mention.  Maybe it was felt that given history it would have to be Free Falling and that it had to be shrieked and obviously he 'cant ' do that currently.  I Dunno?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, totally about the no Petty mention.  Maybe it was felt that given history it would have to be Free Falling and that it had to be shrieked and obviously he 'cant ' do that currently.  I Dunno?

I get that he can't sing it but he could have mentioned Tom or had a little musical bit added, like the Sweet Melissa section:shrugs: Maybe American Girl?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I get that he can't sing it but he could have mentioned Tom or had a little musical bit added, like the Sweet Melissa section:shrugs: Maybe American Girl?

Definitely.  I guess I misspoke.  Even if they didn't do a whole song, some mention of reference would've been warranted.  Im a Petty fan and would've liked to see that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soon said:

Definitely.  I guess I misspoke.  Even if they didn't do a whole song, some mention of reference would've been warranted.  Im a Petty fan and would've liked to see that.

There were many of us watching the live streams last night waiting for it and disappointed it never came. :(

• Sad 1

So i got print 221 put of 300 for those Rocky/GNR mashup so I'm happy as a clam. I had a great time. My highlight was to be honest "I feel good" And TWAT and Madagascar purely on the fact that I feel like they were given to us as a city as all still sort of making up for the riot in 2002. Were they perfect? Nah but could they be now that they got it out of the gate? Definitely.

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

As much as your creepy selfie? It kind of looks like you are touching yourself to it..

Oooh! I'm so glad I touched a nerve! Now excuse me whilst I go back to whacking myself off whilst playing Madagascar from last night on repeat. Off you pop back to your safe space!

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is not going to happen. If 2001-14 has taught us anything it is that Appetite (and Chinese 2009 onward) will always form the basis of the 'GN'R setlist''. People here all agree with you on ''more Illusion deep cuts'', but these will not be put in place at the expense of Appetite material.

Yeah, I know, and I don't really mean that. But when people shitpost like "Madagascar and Twat are absolute garbage, boring fakeguns songs and should never ever be played again" I can't help countering with the opposite sentiment just to piss them off. I'm a Chinese fan who never anted a reunion or Slash back and yet i'm enjoying this way more than many people who begged for it and trashed NewGuns for years. 

6 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Fuck that crap song. Hopefully that never gets played again. Ever. The only song from Appetite that could be dropped is My Michelle.

It's funny how back in '92 Axl said that to just come out every night and play Appetite would be like jacking off. Obviously circumstances have dictated that it be a huge part of the set since 2001 and there's no way around that. But with all the shows you've seen yourself since 1992, are you really saying that if you could tailor your own set to your tastes that you'd waste slots on these songs, no matter how great and well crafted and part of your life they are, that have been played at every single show ever? 

Gotta say, inbetween working on his voice during the hiatus, he's clearly been working on KFC too :P

Jokes aside, he seemed super fucking happy the whole show. His hair's looking thicker than any time since he lost the braids and he's not wearing the glasses at all. 

I think it's worth reflecting on the fact that 18 months into the reunion there hasn't been one single hint of any discord or tension or even irritation within the camp. They're going on fucking EARLY a lot of the time and have only been late like once due to Dubai traffic. Axl is clearly happier than any time probably in his adult life. They haven't had to cancel a single show. I believe the chance of a new album is higher than at any point in years. With any luck Slash and Duff will be covering even more Bucket/Robin/Brain songs within a year or two :D 

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Gotta say, inbetween working on his voice during the hiatus, he's clearly been working on KFC too :P

Jokes aside, he seemed super fucking happy the whole show. His hair's looking thicker than any time since he lost the braids and he's not wearing the glasses at all. 

I think it's worth reflecting on the fact that 18 months into the reunion there hasn't been one single hint of any discord or tension or even irritation within the camp. They're going on fucking EARLY a lot of the time and have only been late like once due to Dubai traffic. Axl is clearly happier than any time probably in his adult life. They haven't had to cancel a single show. I believe the chance of a new album is higher than at any point in years. With any luck Slash and Duff will be covering even more Bucket/Robin/Brain songs within a year or two :D 

At the kimmel interview he said that the last 5 or 6 years were being the happiest he's ever been... His head should be in even more peace now that he left all the bad shit behind and things are cool with old friends, the ac/dc gig... Now i just hope that he recovers his voice and release new things so WE can be happy too :P

Just now, rendestroi95 said:

At the kimmel interview he said that the last 5 or 6 years were being the happiest he's ever been... His head should be in even more peace now that he left all the bad shit behind and things are cool with old friends, the ac/dc gig... Now i just hope that he recovers his voice and release new things so WE can be happy too :P

He doesn't even need to get his old voice back tbh. The falsetto/mickey is not Axl's voice, is the way he currently finds to hit the notes he created back when he had the voice. I'm sure he can record stuff that fits better into his current vocal capabilities and sound awesome on it. He has like 10 different voices he switches between.

3 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Axl's voice is seriously damaged, and it's appalling that people don't realize that. I don't remember any previous version of TWAT where Axl simply doesn't bother going anywhere near the high raspy notes after the solo. Even Axl knows something is wrong and is staying within very conservative limits, with is cause for worry at his age.

This high raspy voice was the one he used during his AC/DC tenure and it's either gone or cracking all over the place since 2016.

3 hours ago, gorillaz said:

I swear to god all you people writing off his voice as permanently damaged need to chill. If you think the high parts of Twat last night were bad and indicative of some great decline then please listen to the worst ever Madagascar from Madrid ELEVEN years ago. I've set it to the high parts after the solo. It makes last night sound like fucking Pavarotti.

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

He doesn't even need to get his old voice back tbh. The falsetto/mickey is not Axl's voice, is the way he currently finds to hit the notes he created back when he had the voice. I'm sure he can record stuff that fits better into his current vocal capabilities and sound awesome on it. He has like 10 different voices he switches between.

Yeah, but when we talk about adapting to current vocal capabilities, we're talking about present and future, and GNR also has a past, and the songs from the past sound like crap with the current voice :/

26 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

It's funny how back in '92 Axl said that to just come out every night and play Appetite would be like jacking off. Obviously circumstances have dictated that it be a huge part of the set since 2001 and there's no way around that. But with all the shows you've seen yourself since 1992, are you really saying that if you could tailor your own set to your tastes that you'd waste slots on these songs, no matter how great and well crafted and part of your life they are, that have been played at every single show ever? 

Yes. I would. If I would pick songs to go, it would be the covers and the CD songs. I do not ever want to see a show without ISE, Mr. B, WTTJ, RQ and Nightrain. SCOM and PC are givens, that need to be played for the masses (even though I probably could do without).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asia said:

This. I've always thought Skash could turn this one into a real gem and dreamed of hearing his Slash-style, Estranged-style guitar solos on it. And he did precisely... nothing :wacko:

Yeah I've probably watched various videos 20x today and it definitely seems like Slash is just trying to stay out of the way. The end result is a flat and boring rendition of the song. During the solo part it's almost like everyone expects the other guy to do the solo. Slash should take over that part. 

• Like 1