Any rumours regarding 2018?!

I wonder why Axl/Angus are so optimistic regarding this whole Axl/DC thing - I mean the last tour has been great in that regard that a lot of people went to see them because they thought it's a one off thing and the only chance to see these two on stage together.

I don't think the demand would be that high if a new album or a new tour would be announced - I guess a lot of AC/DC fans turned their backs on the band since there is only one original member left - and I don't think that many GNR fans will come again just to see Axl sing AC/DC songs (again I think this is seen by most of the music fans as a one time sensation and that's it) so everything Axl AC/DC related in the future just seems like a big waste of time for me...

• Like 1

I'm not sure I can stay excited much longer to the point of buying tickets to see GNR if we don't get some new music from Axl.

Didn't we hear about all of this music he had recorded but unreleased back when CD was coming out?

22 hours ago, EvanG said:

There are so many huge festivals in Europe, even if they don't play at any of the ones you mentioned, it's still possible.

Everything is possible. But its not at all probable. These are the biggest in their genre; hardrock/metal. Thats why they are all in June, so its interesting for large acts to travel to Europe and be able to do a bunch of festivals in a row.

And sure, there are a lot of large festivals here, some of them are in July or even later; Roskilde, Rock Werchter, Glastonbury, Reading/Leeds. But out of those I think maybe Werchter and Reading would be a fit for the band. 
There's only so much festivals that are able (and willing) to pay the fee GnR desires. And with the whole circus surrounding GnR doing one or two festivals isnt really an option. So thats why IF they are doing festivals there's a 99% possibly they are on a few of those festivals I said earlier. And sure, maybe they'll extend into July and do Werchter and even Roskilde and something like Open'er. But its really REALLY unlikely that they would skip all the June festivals and come over for a few fests in July or August.

One of my favourite things about Axl is his range of voices.  I do love the rasp, and theres a huge spectrum of voices he does with it.  A full AC/DC album of either full on rasp or that dirty deeds deeper thing doesnt do it for me.  If GNR wont do a least one single with a role out worthy of this legendary band I will be left feeling empty, maybe even duped.  Like in a story where the reluctant hero had fled their 'heros calling' but finally stepped to their destiny and the story has brought many people into it to make it all happen... but then instead of giving a rallying speech as dictated by the form, the hero just leaves again and everyone is left just standing there.  (at least I think thats how that troupe works - I just know it from Star Wars pod casts, haha)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LovelessNL said:

Everything is possible. But its not at all probable. These are the biggest in their genre; hardrock/metal. Thats why they are all in June, so its interesting for large acts to travel to Europe and be able to do a bunch of festivals in a row.

And sure, there are a lot of large festivals here, some of them are in July or even later; Roskilde, Rock Werchter, Glastonbury, Reading/Leeds. But out of those I think maybe Werchter and Reading would be a fit for the band. 
There's only so much festivals that are able (and willing) to pay the fee GnR desires. And with the whole circus surrounding GnR doing one or two festivals isnt really an option. So thats why IF they are doing festivals there's a 99% possibly they are on a few of those festivals I said earlier. And sure, maybe they'll extend into July and do Werchter and even Roskilde and something like Open'er. But its really REALLY unlikely that they would skip all the June festivals and come over for a few fests in July or August.

There's no Glastonbury next year, so that's definitely out. 

6 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

As much as i'd like to believe that Axl could be like Steven Tyler: 70 years old at Rock In Rio, HD stream, sounding like he's still 40, I kinda feel that's not gonna be the case. He keeps coming back with insane vocals but an extended 12-18 month tour with Angus would surely fuck his shit up. But then, presumably his vocal coach who toured with him and Angus last year discusses this stuff with him. 

I look forward to Axl's tour in 20 years time, where he takes the stage in a wheelchair and resorts to performing his songs on the piano and with his lower register. 

2 hours ago, LovelessNL said:

Maybe, but perhaps they will combine a few bigger festivals with gigs on their own. It just doesn't add up that, IF there's interest from festivals to book the band (and I don't know if there is, but let's say there is hypothetically speaking), that they would refrain from coming here because a) it's a shitload of money, and b) there's still a big market in Europe because they've only been here once. And about the genre thing... that's not how it is anymore... nowadays you have Beyoncé next to Metallica on the same stage.

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I look forward to Axl's tour in 20 years time, where he takes the stage in a wheelchair and resorts to performing his songs on the piano and with his lower register. 

I wouldn't mind a stripped-back acoustic 'Old Man's Tour', to be honest.

A lot of GNR songs would sound pretty neat acoustically.

4 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I wouldn't mind a stripped-back acoustic 'Old Man's Tour', to be honest.

A lot of GNR songs would sound pretty neat acoustically.

It would be really cool.  I imagine it would be in theatres though?  If thats the case, to pay em 3 million per show, tickets would have to be sold as mortgages!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I think an acoustic set would expose Axl's poor vocal state even more, I'm afraid.

Agreed, just look at the Bridge School show from 2012...in my opinion the worst show any carnation of Guns n' Roses have played.

5 hours ago, Bigtater said:

When Brian Johnson "retired" from Touring they said that recording music would be fine and his hearing has apparently improved dramatically. I am pretty sure Axl/DC won't be doing any albums. I think Brian is still technically in that band.

They didn't say that. Brian's own official statement said that. Different tone from wishing him well in his future ventures that was posted on the ACDC website 

28 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I never saw it, was it worse than the Golden Gods show? I didn't think that was possible..

Lol, you have no idea. 

But Axl was in much, much, much worse vocal shape in that show than he is now. He was sick tbh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I think an acoustic set would expose Axl's poor vocal state even more, I'm afraid.

Hence why i joked about Axl doing his songs on the piano and singing in a lower register. If he tries singing some of his songs on the higher register while playing the piano, let alone at 70 and in a wheelchair, god help us! :axl:

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

14 hours ago, Towelie said:

To be fair, the idea of Axl doing an album with AC/DC is purely fan projection and Axl has never expressed any intention that this is on the cards.

He has actually, a reporter asked him and AC/DC what was next and if it's more touring or a record. Axl basically said he's there for whatever they want to do, obviously he mentioned guns obligations. To my ears, that's a pretty solid statement of his intentions.

As for next year, I think the betting man or woman is going with Europe, download festival etc and arena shows... Kicking off in April/May (dates could start any time though for all I know). Anything else seems a little unlikely because of the amount of cash they can get for headlining these eurofests and their own seperate gigs.

14 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I honestly don't know more than the rumored info I passed on above but the implication seemed to be that Axl's cut also took care of just TB and the rest of the band. The 100% divided between Slash, Duff and Axl would be after all other costs are accounted for, I assume. 

People hear 1-3 million a show and assume that is the amount divided up amongst the band. The reality is that right off the top of the gross managers get their cut of 10-15%, then the booking agent 10-15%. Then all the crew. I think during the stadium tour they had two stages moving at anytime given the enormous set up. So even if the 3 million a show rumor is right and that Axl gets 50% 300K at minimum goes to management and booking agents. Then you've got all the crew which I can only imagine is like 60 people a stage. Sound techs, monitors, lighting, chartering planes, tour managers, photographer etc etc

I bet Axl barely clears 200K a show, maybe even less before the tax man. Not chump change by any means but not as much as people think.

Now merch on the other hand.... I can't imagine the bling they pulling in off that!! $45 bucks for a 2 dollar tee shirt lol

Edited by tkarmy
  • Like 1

If Axl has plans locked in for an AC/DC Album in 2018, you can basically kiss whatever chance there is left of GNR releasing a new album with this line up goodbye.  

Time is definitely against him. I wouldn't say that, if he had a good history of releasing stuff but If AC/DC is the priority and they do an album then tour it, that takes any start date for GNR work out to 2020 imo. Then, with his history you couldn't see him banging an album out in 12 months?? 

As far as I'm concerned, with axl's age, work history, and other factors , it's pretty much now or never as far as an album is concerned. 

For the record, if axl does do an album with Angus, I won't be buying it! AC/DC just doesn't interest me with or without axl. 

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 3