How does your current life compare to your life one year ago?

Gibson87

With New Years and all that, I've had the question in my head for a couple of days now. For me personally it's like night and day. At the end of 2016 I had just come back from college and was burnt out, depressed, 80lbs overweight, and directionless. Now, at the end of 2017, I'm down 60 lbs, I have my depression under control, I have a general idea of what I want to do with school, and I'm living on my own. 

So, how do your current lives compare to your lives from one year ago? 

• Like 3

Wayyyyy worse. My mental issues have spiraled this year, I’ve figuratively lost the most important person in my life, binge ate a shit ton over the summer (dieted and worked out to get back to healthy) and not much really went my way this year. I’m ready for 2018 for sure. Plus I started my ‘17 by throwing up (I don’t even drink so it wasn’t by that!) so that wasn’t a good way to start the year :P 

• Like 1

I'm a year older, my hair's longer and my eyesight got worse. That's probably all the physical change. Well I did lose weight for no reason and I'm on the edge of anorexia.

Mentally I'm more balanced, or probably just really fucking bipolar :lol: I don't know, I just don't have the genuine happiness and positivity I had at the beginning of this year.

Actually my head is even more of a fucking mess because I keep getting involved with situations that include drugs and assault (without participating, I'm just way too fucking involved)

At least the places and people I've found myself messing around with have contributed to good music, which reminds me, I'm better at guitar than a year ago!

I'm single again, after my girl for almost two years lost her mind and fucked my neighbour.

All in all I can barely sleep anymore, I constantly feel like shit and as if I have responsibility to stop my junkie friends from fucking their future up even more.

I'm angry at them, some other people and myself :lol: 

Don't fucking do drugs 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I finally caught on to the whole podcast thing recently and am loving the Comedy Bang Bang.  I've also really built on some skills in medicine in the form of pops, nutrition, essential oils and tinctures over this year.  I did give up a stream of income when I had to confront the ethics of the situation, which I feel really good about other then I really wanna move and could use that money.  My neighbour is a dick.  They got worse over the year, when family moved in with them.  The year was shit in the broader sense, but I feel good about everything that I could control and am feeling poised to make moves this coning year that I wouldn't have in 17'. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

28 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

But most of all, the reason 2017 was  fruitful was because my 11 year old autistic son made incredible progress during the past 12 months.   He has full conversations now, can read and write full sentences, paragraphs, etc and is basically on a 5th grade level in terms of education.  He is now considered high functioning, so I'm extremely grateful.  :)

My son (who also has ASD) has made some progress this year. Schooling is still an issue but on a personal level he has really made some strides. Really pleased your son has too. :heart:

• Like 4

2017 had ups and downs for me.....lost my sweet cat Sadie of 12 years this past May but at work gained a new teacher assistant who I absolutely love working with.

It makes all the difference when you can work with someone you can gel with, laugh and just shoot the breeze with. Makes the days so much damn better! :)

Was also happy this year to be able to see Guns again at the Alamodome and was so much closer to the stage this time and was a concert I wont soon forget. rock3

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

It makes all the difference when you can work with someone you can gel with, laugh and just shoot the breeze with. Makes the days so much damn better! :)

I relate to this on a spiritual level. My co-workers and bosses can tell when I'm depressed and always try their best to make it better. It doesn't go away completely but it takes my mind off of the bullshit for a while. 

• Like 1

I love this year in all honesty.  My favorite band played the 2nd most amount of shows they have ever done in a year and that included playing in Rock in Rio, playing a fair amount of headlining shows in the US, and they played with an orchestra at Royal Albert Hall incorporating some deeper cut songs and they are in process of releasing a DVD.

For me, personally, I got a job that has steady pay. I moved to Garden Grove, California in the OC where I'm about 10-20 minutes away from concert venues like the Anaheim House of Blues, the City National Grove of Anaheim, and the Honda Center (hate that place due to hockey reasons, but if there's a band I like playing there, I may consider going there).  I went to see two concerts at the House of Blues in three days, Halestorm and Breaking Benjamin, and in all honesty, those might have been the most enjoyable concerts and the best crowds I have ever been in. 

Also, after a nine year hiatus, I'm back to playing World of Warcraft and I'm enjoying the content a lot and looking forward to where the game goes next year with their new expansion.

So, my life is pretty good in comparison to 2016 and looking forward to see what's to come in 2018.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Anguyen92 said:

I love this year in all honesty.  My favorite band played the 2nd most amount of shows they have ever done in a year and that included playing in Rock in Rio, playing a fair amount of headlining shows in the US, and they played with an orchestra at Royal Albert Hall incorporating some deeper cut songs and they are in process of releasing a DVD.

I'm gonna take a stab here and say your favorite band is Alter Bridge? 

It's a strange mixed bag. On one hand, I accomplished a lot of personal financial goals, mostly because I got a new position at my job which certainly provided me better stability. On the other hand, shit really hit the fan in my private/family life and I found myself as a single father. Not necessarily where I thought I'd be at 25, but not all bad either. It was plenty of big changes and adjustments but I'm at a much better place currently than I was a few months ago.

• Like 1

My year ends with mixed feelings but most of them good. The good is doing ok health wise, loving my work, loving my bloke and our kids/grandkids, and doing ok financially. The not good stuff, my daughter still having problems with her ex and some health problems for my father in law. On the whole though not a bad year.

Happy New Year to you all :hug:

• Like 3

I've learned a lot, both in terms of my research and general life experience. I've travelled to some amazing places and seen some beautiful things (mostly volcanoes, but other things too). I've bonded with some incredible people from lots of different places and been fortunate enough to share a lot of fun times with them. I can now speak Spanish, which is awesome, I never thought I'd learn a second language.

My Gran died in the Spring, she was one of the people I loved most in the world. I visited her once a week usually, she was a friend, a confidant and someone who always supported me 100%. I went to Mexico in February and we knew she was quite ill at that point, so saying goodbye was devastating. She gave me her wedding ring and I cried for the whole train journey home. I got the news she'd had a stroke and was going to die in April. I crossed land and sea to be there with her and my family and I'm really glad I did, to see the look in her eyes when I walked into the hospital ward and to have been there for and with my family at the end.

In the past I lacked confidence when it came to my love life (or lack thereof), this year's done a lot to give me confidence in myself, but I've realised the difference between deceiving yourself about someone's flaws because they're very physically attractive, letting lust drag you into a situation in which you're unlikely to ever be emotionally happy and meeting someone who blows you away, mind body and soul. Sadly I lost that person due to circumstances out of our control, but I think after two months I'm beginning to heal and see it as a positive experience. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Last year was a overall feeling of self-doubt but there was some things that were great. I have 2 wonderful sons that are almost adults who I can look dead in the eye. I can remember all of those years ago when I could hold them in my arms and propel around the room and freak out my now ex-wife doing airplanes spins with them. To see them turn from infants to the fine levelheaded boys makes me feel good that I made it and dropped every bad habit I had. I did it more for their sake than my own. It honestly blows my mind.

Now the self-doubt was in creating me art. There was so much going on that I feared that I would never finish my surrealist horror web series "Hearts Are Always Killed" Yes it has taken me two years to get to the point of completion but I had my small but rough and tumble crew who never gave up on the project and on me. They helped me because they saw how important it was to me and not once ever ask for some sort of compensation. This is the first film project, of this magnitude, I ever did. 60 minutes stretched over 6 episodes. It was new ground for me but I learned it as I went along. I did not make this project in the editing room and from the few people, here and IRL, have really dug what I've done. Now I don't feel that doubt that I might fail or not know what I was doing. I even have sequels that I've began to write to expand on this universe I have created. Not only have horror fans liked it but so have stoners LOL

• Like 1

Got a job this year, started getting my own life back, slowly since I have to take care of my elderly mother, but starting to feel like myself again after being stuck in an unhappy marriage for years. Hope to finalize my divorce in 2018 and put all that baggage behind me. Have a feeling something wonderful is just around the corner....looking forward to 2018 😆

• GNFNR 1

I'm on more medicines now. And it sucks!

Nothing really has changed for me all that much.

Same shit different day.

I'm hoping to pay off some more bills, but who knows?

I just feel so down after the holidays. I've lost so many family members and pets, the holidays just get me down. Thank God for my daughter and my parents and brother and my boyfriend. Otherwise I'd be depressed all the time. Life is just so hard sometimes. I know we all feel like this, but the way the world is going, I worry more and more these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Same shit different day.

I just feel so down after the holidays. I've lost so many family members and pets, the holidays just get me down. Thank God for my daughter and my parents and brother and my boyfriend. Otherwise I'd be depressed all the time. Life is just so hard sometimes. I know we all feel like this, but the way the world is going, I worry more and more these days.

Life is indeed a bitch. I've found it helps to appreciate the smaller things. It's kind of a cliche but it really does help 

15 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Same shit different day.

Stop worrying about the world. Focus on things close to you.

17 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Same shit different day.

Sorry to hear of your losses.  It really does tend to come to the surface on the holidays.  So glad you have all those people too.  Hopefully after the holiday blues lift you will enjoy all the potential of the new year.