AFD Locked & Loaded Discounts: Now $399

35 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

TB are REALLY bad

Anyways, I'm most excited for the 5.1 AfD. Ive heard good things

I was trying to be kind...😂

I haven’t heard the 5.1 yet as had to dismantle my set-up so will need to wait and listen at my parents. It is supposed to be properly amazing though. 👍

On the QuadraphonicQuad site it has a rating of 9.19/10 and that site is all about the surround sound.

Edited by DTJ80
Additional information

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I know what you mean. The difference between the bands in that regard is HUGE. Lars ain’t daft - he knows what the fan wants and is still in tune with the fan base at a grass roots level.

Plus, having Q-Prime as your management company helps...as opposed to TB. Not saying TB are bad but no-one is better than Q-Prime.

Considering how fan friendly duff and slash are, maybe they would love all of the recordings and videos released but maybe axl just isnt interested. As much as im critical of TB as management at the end of the day if axl isnt interested what can gnr management do?.

5 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Which is why they should ‘do it right’ this time. Not overpriced or laden with stuff most folk wouldn’t look at more than once. As I said, I have the four MetallicA boxes and they are absolutely spot-on. The only thing that they miss is the 5.1 disc that Appetite had.

I fear it's already too late. I imagine they looked at the sales and the fan reception and made up their mind that it isn't worth it to pursue another box set. 

Didn't that other thread with the box set designer say that the band didn't want all the do-dads but the label did? Could be misremembering... wouldn't want to see the band to get bashed more than necessary :D.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ant said:

Didn't that other thread with the box set designer say that the band didn't want all the do-dads but the label did? Could be misremembering... wouldn't want to see the band to get bashed more than necessary :D.

Yes, true, but even then people cast doubt on the story, if I'm not mistaken. Which seems crazy, as the guy in question wasn't even a fan, and had nothing to win by saying that and he said it straight to a poster on here. It's not often we have a straight source who doesn't have any agenda at all. But sometimes people like to believe their own fantasy. It's always TB's fault, or Axl's. Has to be.

• Like 1

I feel like doing a big UYI release is justified just as a promotional thing for the NITL tour if they’re going to continue it without new music. 

I’d be stoked with like a big Spotify rollout... at this point I don’t care about any of the physical stuff. 

• Like 2

I don’t need any remasterd version of the UYI albums. 

The boxset should be:

- demos 

- instrumentals 

- alternative / rough mixes 

- unreleased songs (eg Ain‘t goin down)

- blu ray: perfect crime documentary (uncensored) 

- blu rays: three unreleased complete gigs; one of 91, 92 and 93 each

- maybe a photobook, but definitely no tshirts or replica bullshit

- no reissues of the UYI singles 

The music should be included on vinyl and CD. 

The price should be 250€/$ max.

5 hours ago, Ant said:

I feel like doing a big UYI release is justified just as a promotional thing for the NITL tour if they’re going to continue it without new music. 

I’d be stoked with like a big Spotify rollout... at this point I don’t care about any of the physical stuff. 

Prince’s estate did something similar recently, right? Release a bunch of new stuff all at once exclusively on Spotify, I mean.

10 hours ago, History2010 said:

I fear it's already too late. I imagine they looked at the sales and the fan reception and made up their mind that it isn't worth it to pursue another box set. 

Which would be utterly ridiculous if they were as short sighted as that. Look at the mistakes, feedback and learn from them so as to hit a ‘home run’ next time. It’s quite something where you have a fan base who has pockets full of cash to spend and yet.......

Anyone from the UK purchased this at a heavily discounted price yet? Still well over £500 most sites I've seen. I was thinking of ordering from Merchbar, but they've got negative reviews from people based in UK with being unresponsive to emails regarding shipment details etc.

52 minutes ago, Dean said:

Anyone from the UK purchased this at a heavily discounted price yet? Still well over £500 most sites I've seen. I was thinking of ordering from Merchbar, but they've got negative reviews from people based in UK with being unresponsive to emails regarding shipment details etc.

I got it from Amazon.com. $499 with $100 tax but p&p only $6. So was about £475. I got money off too as one of the vinyl covers was marked ($50). Delivery was rapid and as it’s Amazon - you can be sure you will get it. Plus, if you have vouchers....

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Which would be utterly ridiculous if they were as short sighted as that. Look at the mistakes, feedback and learn from them so as to hit a ‘home run’ next time. It’s quite something where you have a fan base who has pockets full of cash to spend and yet.......

that tends to be how corporations think these days unfortunately. I am pretty sure Fernando said somewhere when asked about a UYI set that it all depends on if the AFD box sells. 

If they lost money on the first set, they won't be very enthusiastic about doing another one. 

19 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Quadraphonic

jT_6UtiEitw-GP5ruVFKDAOsWyI-WXFZ7mB7G-Wj

I don't have a 5.1 setup but I use the discrete tracks for learning guitar... it's pretty amazing how much musical depth there is to the album. Like channel 1 is all Izzy and channel 2 is all Slash, and the rest an interesting combo... hearing Izzy's falsetto in random places I never knew! 

Edited by Ant

1 hour ago, History2010 said:

that tends to be how corporations think these days unfortunately. I am pretty sure Fernando said somewhere when asked about a UYI set that it all depends on if the AFD box sells. 

If they lost money on the first set, they won't be very enthusiastic about doing another one. 

Which would be pretty amateurish - if they look at the sales vs pricing cuts of both LnL and the SDE, they will see exactly when the sales started to take off and should get an idea of where to set the bar.

It just crazy how much the management shoot themselves in the foot with this stuff.

39 minutes ago, Ant said:

jT_6UtiEitw-GP5ruVFKDAOsWyI-WXFZ7mB7G-Wj

I don't have a 5.1 setup but I use the discrete tracks for learning guitar... it's pretty amazing how much musical depth there is to the album. Like channel 1 is all Izzy and channel 2 is all Slash, and the rest an interesting combo... hearing Izzy's falsetto in random places I never knew! 

Ha ha. Yep - can’t wait to hear the 5.1 mix as it’s so weird how much extra you hear. I have a few Rush 5.1 discs and they were very good.

16 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I don’t need any remasterd version of the UYI albums. 

The boxset should be:

- demos 

- instrumentals 

- alternative / rough mixes 

- unreleased songs (eg Ain‘t goin down)

- blu ray: perfect crime documentary (uncensored) 

- blu rays: three unreleased complete gigs; one of 91, 92 and 93 each

- maybe a photobook, but definitely no tshirts or replica bullshit

- no reissues of the UYI singles 

The music should be included on vinyl and CD. 

The price should be 250€/$ max.

I would be interested if there were many demos and remixes during this period, as the band were on a tight recording schedule.

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I opened up my Super Deluxe today. Cannot believe this thing retailed for $200 last year. Still, I feel like $40 is fair and it completes the Locked and Loaded set @RussTCB gave me :headbang:

I bought it just for completion sake back in July last year but I agree, it not at all worth $200! I would say that $100 is the most I would pay for something like that but in GN’R’s case I’m such a completionist that I pulled the trigger anyway... 

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I opened up my Super Deluxe today. Cannot believe this thing retailed for $200 last year. Still, I feel like $40 is fair and it completes the Locked and Loaded set @RussTCB gave me :headbang:

That's exactly how I felt about L&L overall. The box is cool as hell, right? And of course I wanted the vinyl really badly. However, the whole time I was unboxing the set I kept thinking "HOW DID THEY EXPECT TO GET $1000 FOR THIS???"

I'm SO glad I was able to get it for $500, with the turntable included. The turntable alone was a $400 value and I gifted that to a friend who REALLY needed an upgraded deck. Then I get the vinyl I wanted and gifted the SDE to another friend. Then I got to give you the box itself with what was left.

All in all, the whole outcome was worth way more than $500 to me. I would have felt sooooooooooooo ripped off had I paid $1000 for the set itself back when it launched. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's exactly how I felt about L&L overall. The box is cool as hell, right? And of course I wanted the vinyl really badly. However, the whole time I was unboxing the set I kept thinking "HOW DID THEY EXPECT TO GET $1000 FOR THIS???"

I'm SO glad I was able to get it for $500, with the turntable included. The turntable alone was a $400 value and I gifted that to a friend who REALLY needed an upgraded deck. Then I get the vinyl I wanted and gifted the SDE to another friend. Then I got to give you the box itself with what was left.

All in all, the whole outcome was worth way more than $500 to me. I would have felt sooooooooooooo ripped off had I paid $1000 for the set itself back when it launched. 

Yup

Both products suck value wise for their original retail price. $1000 for L&L and even $200 for the Super Deluxe are just unbelievably over priced, especially now that I have them and can see what you get.

They are actually cool sets. The L&L's presentation is awesome and it looks great with my GNR stuff. The music included with both editions is solid (although the lack of live shows Is beyond questionable) and the packaging of both is quite good. That being said, wtf were they thinking with the original price? L&L should have been $500 and the Super Deluxe $100 TOPS. 

I'm glad both are now getting discounted so much. It sucks for those that bit at full price, but many of us assumed they would drop immensely for those who were patient. Turntable deal was really good too

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Mighta been answered already but does anyone know how many L&L sets sold? 

Nobody knows, but I cant imagine a ton of the 10,000. Thats a huge number for a $1000 set.

Listening to the 5.1 BluRay now. Pretty Damn good