"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

2 hours ago, Imissthecornrows said:

Anyone else ever go on Youtube late on a Friday night and watch mid to late 2000s performances of Chinese Democracy songs?

If you mean when it's close to 3:00 AM and I come home still drunk and trip and fall all over my keyboard and the impact of my head types the right sequence of letters into the searchbar with the mouse also falling on the ground clicking play when it lands on the resulting video while I unconciously lay on the ground the rest of the night: yeah all the time

Otherwise I don't believe I've ever done that no

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up here somewhere (unless I missed it with the format change): https://rock101fm.iheart.com/featured/lend-a-helping-can/content/2024-04-05-zak-starkey-heads-up-superstar-project/

This would be the first Axl vocals recorded since Rock the Rock, correct?

EDIT: Nevermind; didn't know the project had a name - I now see the thread.  Should have known better.

Edited by Bluefish18

janrichmond
This post was recognized by janrichmond!

"You've won a badge"

jamillos was awarded the badge 'ASHBA™️Badge of Shame'

Did you guys always know that the round (UYI) logo is a view of a bullet from below? Been a fan since 1992, yet I only learned this in 2016 when they came up with the somewhat polished version of the logo... :facepalm:

gnr_lo10.jpg

Edited by jamillos
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jamillos said:

Did you guys always know that the round (UYI) logo is a view of a bullet from below? Been a fan since 1992, yet I only learned this in 2016 when they came up with the somewhat polished version of the logo... :facepalm:

gnr_lo10.jpg

Sorry, but yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't remember if that was brought up in this thread before, but why the actual fck it's so difficult for this band and that thing its called TB do some stuff to keep peoples interest in the band? Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Motley Crue are doing this vault thing were they upload stuff from their archives (photos, documents, tour stuff, contracts etc) and it's great, you see stuff that you never thought you'll ever see. I'm sure Axl has almost everything from 1985 till this day just getting dusty in his garage. Also it would be a great chance for all the AFD guys to work together even if it's not music but to celebrate in a way the bands legacy. The 40th anniversary of GN'R is on the way and it would be great for such thing to happen.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

I can't remember if that was brought up in this thread before, but why the actual fck it's so difficult for this band and that thing its called TB do some stuff to keep peoples interest in the band? 

Because people are interested even when they don't. You mentioned Bon Jovi and this reminded me of a quite from Jon Bon Jovi regarding Axl back in the early 2000s when Axl did nothing at all still was hugely popular: 

uten_273.jpg

So we can complain however much we want to, whether his strategy is deliberate or not, he has managed to keep GN'R popular and interesting despite doing very little to please the fans. Maybe because he is inaccessible and mysterious.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

I can't remember if that was brought up in this thread before, but why the actual fck it's so difficult for this band and that thing its called TB do some stuff to keep peoples interest in the band? Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Motley Crue are doing this vault thing were they upload stuff from their archives (photos, documents, tour stuff, contracts etc) and it's great, you see stuff that you never thought you'll ever see. I'm sure Axl has almost everything from 1985 till this day just getting dusty in his garage. Also it would be a great chance for all the AFD guys to work together even if it's not music but to celebrate in a way the bands legacy. The 40th anniversary of GN'R is on the way and it would be great for such thing to happen.

You’re absolutely right, of course. They are terrible at this. But I was gonna say "mind you, you should expect the local forum police coming at you soon with such stuff as they don’t owe us anything, people just keep complaining, move on, etc." – and voila, there you go. 

There’s undoubtedly loads of material that could be released, even if in some inferior Youtube quality, but Axl just won’t release old stuff, and TB - the so-called management team - are living the golden life, so why would they rock the boat by nagging him about anything. 
At least we have bootlegs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Because people are interested even when they don't. You mentioned Bon Jovi and this reminded me of a quite from Jon Bon Jovi regarding Axl back in the early 2000s when Axl did nothing at all still was hugely popular: 

uten_273.jpg

So we can complain however much we want to, whether his strategy is deliberate or not, he has managed to keep GN'R popular and interesting despite doing very little to please the fans. Maybe because he is inaccessible and mysterious.

Off course they're still popular but that doesn't mean that they can rely on that forever, it's getting silly. You don't do the vault thing to regain popularity but to keep the interest of your fanbase and the average rock/metal while you're not touring/recording/releasing music. 

Edited by Stiven.DxN.10
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You’re absolutely right, of course. They are terrible at this. But I was gonna say "mind you, you should expect the local forum police coming at you soon with such stuff as they don’t owe us anything, people just keep complaining, move on, etc." – and voila, there you go. 

There’s undoubtedly loads of material that could be released, even if in some inferior Youtube quality, but Axl just won’t release old stuff, and TB - the so-called management team - are living the golden life, so why would they rock the boat by nagging him about anything. 
At least we have bootlegs...

Lucky us! I was listening last summer's Paris show IEM sound on youtube and it's pretty cool. And that Whiskey '86 show...what a treat! I wish that Axl could see that the band needs a real manager or a management team and let's hope when CD era comes to an end TB is going home for good.

5 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

Lucky us! I was listening last summer's Paris show IEM sound on youtube and it's pretty cool. And that Whiskey '86 show...what a treat! I wish that Axl could see that the band needs a real manager or a management team and let's hope when CD era comes to an end TB is going home for good.

I think Axl is pretty happy with Team Brazil, they seem to facilitate everything he wants to do. I don't see them leaving anytime soon unless Fernando needs to go because of the lawsuit.

4 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

Would be great, but I don't see that as a real option. Beta is basically Axl's surrogate mother, and Nando is, well, her son. They've lived with him in his own house - they're not going anywhere. The only hope I'd see in this would be if Slash/Duff interfered a little bit and tried suggesting something to Axl every now and then. Some incentive on their part could set at least some things in motion. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

Off course they're still popular but that doesn't mean that they can relly on that forever, it's getting silly. You don't do the vault thing to regain popularity but to keep the interest of your fanbase and the average rock/metal while you're not touring/recording/releasing music. 

6 minutes ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

you seem to be under the impression that TB can influence Axl into releasing music. I don't think anyone can tell Axl what to do, especially when it comes to new music. in a way, they are just a reflection of what Axl wants. it's like this cause this is how Axl prefers it to be.

Gn'R sells nostalgia, and as long as they play SCOM and the hits, they're pretty much good to go. they don't need to release new music, though I would love it if they do of course. it's not the main product they are selling and hasn't been for quite a while now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

you seem to be under the impression that TB can influence Axl into releasing music. I don't think anyone can tell Axl what to do, especially when it comes to new music. in a way, they are just a reflection of what Axl wants. it's like this cause this is how Axl prefers it to be.

Gn'R sells nostalgia, and as long as they play SCOM and the hits, they're pretty much good to go. they don't need to release new music, though I would love it if they do of course. it's not the main product they are selling and hasn't been for quite a while now.

I never thought that TB can convince or influence Axl to release new music, but as a management team they can convince him to do such small thing for the fans it's the bare minimum

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Would be great, but I don't see that as a real option. Beta is basically Axl's surrogate mother, and Nando is, well, her son. They've lived with him in his own house - they're not going anywhere. The only hope I'd see in this would be if Slash/Duff interfered a little bit and tried suggesting something to Axl every now and then. Some incentive on their part could set at least some things in motion. 

I think you consider she you surrogate mothe not would allow she hold the umbrella.. .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

I never thought that TB can convince or influence Axl to release new music, but as a management team they can convince him to do such small thing for the fans it's the bare minimum

you're already getting what Axl is willing to share, on his terms. if he wanted to hurry the fuck up about it and release all the Chinese era stuff, quickly work on a new album with Slash and Duff and release it, then that's what would have happened or at least an attempt.

what is the small thing for the fans that you think TB can convince him to do? is TB there to convince Axl to do stuff or is it to lighten the load and help him live and function the way he wants to do it? these are questions that I think are relevant here.

There's a new Tommy Stinson interview conducted by a friend of mine for a Brazilian website. There's no real news, he repeated what he said before about his thoughts on CD, the different personas in the band and so and so. He did say that TWAT was his favorite song, and Catcher had "interesting lyrics". 

If people want, I can translate the exact quote. Or you can just use Google Translator:

https://screamyell.com.br/site/2024/04/17/entrevista-tommy-stinson-fala-sobre-novo-disco-solo-os-anos-com-o-guns-n-roses-e-o-legado-do-replacements/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:42 PM, SoulMonster said:

I think Axl is pretty happy with Team Brazil, they seem to facilitate everything he wants to do. I don't see them leaving anytime soon unless Fernando needs to go because of the lawsuit.

No offence to Nandos life..

But the lawsuit going south for him, could certainly make our fortunes go NORTH! Every rockstar slags them to shit but there's a reason credible management get shit done....mild competence 

11 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

No offence to Nandos life..

But the lawsuit going south for him, could certainly make our fortunes go NORTH! Every rockstar slags them to shit but there's a reason credible management get shit done....mild competence 

It's not happening. He's seemingly off the hook in the lawsuit.

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's not happening. He's seemingly off the hook in the lawsuit.

For now at least....

Is he....I've not checked in on that one for weeks...is this fairly recent? 

Edited by colonizedmind

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

For now at least....

Is he....I've not checked in on that one for weeks...is this fairly recent? 

It was about 6 weeks ago. I tried to explain it in the lawsuit thread here (and since then everything has pointed to the answer to both 1) and 2) being yes):

• Like 1