"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:16 AM, rumandraisin said:

I think the general consensus seems to be the earlier versions of the tracks were far superior. Maybe aside from If The World. 

Look at the title track. My god that bass. Twangy and fat and just so upfront. The double snare hits. The shorter intro. Buckets solo is nice though so maybe the ideal version is the 2007 leak, although it doesn't have the slap of the 2001 mixes. 

I think bumbles fretless riff made the title track so much better, definitely gave it some swagger which the others didn't have.

Dave Abbruzzese interview where he talks about his time in Gn'R and Axl. not sure if this is new and the audio quality is not very good, but found it interesting (Gn'R part starts at the 51:13 mark)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Eric Carmen has passed away

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2024/03/cleveland-native-eric-carmen-who-had-hits-with-raspberries-and-as-solo-artist-dies-at-age-74.html

I wonder if Axl tweets something, since he's been a big fan (and played Everything by Eric Carmen as an intro to November Rain in 1993)

Wow! I really like the song "Make Me Lose Control". It was such a great 80s tune. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, Rovim said:

Dave Abbruzzese interview where he talks about his time in Gn'R and Axl. not sure if this is new and the audio quality is not very good, but found it interesting (Gn'R part starts at the 51:13 mark)

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

Dave Abbruzzese. It says he talks about GN'R, haven't seen it yet, could be interesting.

https://youtu.be/hJH63OLD0Z0?si=N4vK1rMniWHQa8lU 

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

There seems to be an interview on yt with Dave Abbruzze talking about GnR, might wanna check out! 

Yeah, @Rovim posted this 3 days ago. :lol:

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Excluding solo spots (but not excluding The Godfather theme), Slither is currently GN'R's 33rd most-played song – beating the likes of Yesterdays, Shadow of Your Love, Reckless Life, Pretty Tied Up, and So Fine.

Imagine thinking that 10 years ago...

Not in a million years. When they first played it I was bumped as hell, especially when we learned it was Axl's request. People do really change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stiven.DxN.10 said:

Not in a million years. When they first played it I was bumped as hell, especially when we learned it was Axl's request. People do really change.

Honestly it's so cool they play it.  I hope it's a setlist staple til they retire. Unless they swap it out for fall to pieces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Honestly it's so cool they play it.  I hope it's a setlist staple til they retire. Unless they swap it out for fall to pieces.

I'd love that! Also if Axl gets his voice in a better shape they should try Dirty Little Thing and Dizzy can add some kick-ass keys on that.

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Fall To Pieces in Axl's lower register would sound great, I reckon. He'd no doubt use his clean voice if GN'R ever did that song, but we can dream, right?

• Like 1

Managed to pick up one of my holy grails. I’ve been after this for literally decades and after a couple of blows when I was working in the Middle East late last year, where two appeared for sale that were bought, never worn and boxed away for 23 years, I thought I’d missed my chance.

As absurd as it may seem to some, that 2001 incarnation of the band is probably my favourite, with them largely responsible for the groundwork for the entirety of the Chinese era.

image.thumb.jpeg.0ffeeb53890855eae67cacc4947656c6.jpeg

Edited by Dean
  • GNFNR 3

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

Managed to pick up one of my holy grails. I’ve been after this for literally decades and after a couple of blows when I was working in the Middle East late last year, where two appeared for sale that were bought, never worn and boxed away for 23 years, I thought I’d missed my chance.

As absurd as it may seem to some, that 2001 incarnation of the band is probably my favourite, with them largely responsible for the groundwork for the entirety of the Chinese era.

image.thumb.jpeg.0ffeeb53890855eae67cacc4947656c6.jpeg

Yeah, that seems even more absurd than Absurd :lol:

• ABSUЯD 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:46 PM, DoMw94 said:

Fall To Pieces in Axl's lower register would sound great, I reckon. He'd no doubt use his clean voice if GN'R ever did that song, but we can dream, right?

Most GNR songs would sound great with gus lower register!  I hope he eventually makes the transition 

20 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Was there an official band photographer during the 2002 tour? 

@Blackstar :D

The pictures from that tour were by George Chin, who was also one of the photographers during the UYI tour (besides Robert John and Gene Kirkland). George Chin was also the photographer on the 2006 tour.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

the Perhaps music video is really well made and editing is also great. really makes a more emotional connection with the tune. I feel like they went for it with the ballad and it reminds me of the PC music video so it's a cool thing Gn'R did imo also representing the curent lineup in a proper way.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

On 3/25/2024 at 3:39 PM, Rovim said:

the Perhaps music video is really well made and editing is also great. really makes a more emotional connection with the tune. I feel like they went for it with the ballad and it reminds me of the PC music video so it's a cool thing Gn'R did imo also representing the curent lineup in a proper way.

Absolutely, now imagine they would do a "watch us inside the studio creating" video like Slash did for Killing Floor, which is a hell of a video,  instead of that horrendous The General video (or preferably for a different song anyway). Now that would be something! 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 8:21 AM, Spoon87 said:

Absolutely, now imagine they would do a "watch us inside the studio creating" video like Slash did for Killing Floor, which is a hell of a video,  instead of that horrendous The General video (or preferably for a different song anyway). Now that would be something! 

Studio? You mean Slash and Duff individually recording their parts in their homes after Carem sends an email with the MP3 attached for them to record to. 

58 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Studio? You mean Slash and Duff individually recording their parts in their homes after Carem sends an email with the MP3 attached for them to record to. 

Yeah, that's what I was aiming at to be honest.