"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, bmus1 said:

What an F'n solo.

It's great... but we can't say that because it's not note-for-note what's on the record so it can only be described as "butchered" 🙄

But seriously, I like this interpretation. I enjoyed Slash's take on this song most nights, and this was one of his best

Edited by DoMw94

It's been a while....but pulled this one out for a run!

The first scream is InSANE....the 2nd, as he transitions without breath, almost even more intense! Axl on the chair, was a total beast!

After 2010 and the Rio debacle, we thought we'd never get levels such as pre 2011 again...he proved us wrong...we've been in a similar position last few years...

Can he sound as good as 2016 again? No

Can he sound as good as 2010 again? Certainly not...

Those are the stupid questions we ask each other, of course he can't, he's 14 and 8 years older...

Can he sound quite a bit better for the the current times? YES! (provided there's no progressive issue/damage) 

I think we can healthily link Axl's best performances to his motivation and when something's happening that gets him truly up in the morning....CD out relief, touring the album, Reunion honeymoon, fronting one of his childhood band heroes...

So, new album is our best hope to get him going again! This year at times has been a positive, he sang Perhaps & The big G pretty well on select dates and even with rasp...

The long screams ain't coming back I suspect but he can do better and I believe an extended (not ages tho) break will really help...as long as there's motivation on return....if not...it's ok LIVE N LET DIE MUTHA F'er

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

I think this guy really nailed Bucket's solo in Better. I've never seen anyone doing it with such precision, and IMO it's miles better than what I did. Sure it's weird that he's playing a strat and the final note doesn't sound really like what Bucket plays, but overall, I def think this guy deserves way more views. I don't know him, BTW.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think this guy really nailed Bucket's solo in Better. I've never seen anyone doing it with such precision, and IMO it's miles better than what I did. Sure it's weird that he's playing a strat and the final note doesn't sound really like what Bucket plays, but overall, I def think this guy deserves way more views. I don't know him, BTW.

That final note of the solo is badass! Awesome playing 👏🏼

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Interesting to see it on a strat.

Just ended up watching a load of your videos as well Voodoo, some amazing stuff on your channel especially the split screen Sorry. Solo was spot on. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Interesting to see it on a strat.

Just ended up watching a load of your videos as well Voodoo, some amazing stuff on your channel especially the split screen Sorry. Solo was spot on. 

Thanks! I'm proud of how close to Bucket's tone I got in the intro too (I used a leslie-like effect, which is the same as used by Hendrix in the song Angel). :book:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Not directly GN'R related, but I wonder if Axl's vocal issues could be of a similar nature (likely not, because Bon Jovi couldn't sing at all, whereas Axl's lower register voice is still strong and relatively intact):

https://loudwire.com/jon-bon-jovi-vocal-issues-touring-future/

Very interesting. As a novice singer who's been taking lessons for a while (but I'm still not great at that lol), I understand that Axl's issues are more related to the abusive nature of his singing style. It's natural to lose some of the mid/high register as you grow old, but in Axl's case it seems that he just can't force it out the mids as he did before because his vocal chords would be less rigid. He still puts a lot of strain in the high notes and those will suffer too. 

I do wonder if Axl could try a similar medical approach to regain some of his power back. I'm not sure what is possible to do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i just realized the lyrics to Bumblefoot's song "glad to be here" really sound like he was talking about GNR, especially the part where he sings "When the whole world looks at me they see some other guy" which obviously seems to mean Slash. but of course it could mean a million other things too. the song was released in 2008.

I'm so glad to be here I could slit my fucking wrist
This chaos is just what I need to keep me nice and pissed
My chest fills up with acid till the veins pop in my head
I wake up every morning wishing God would strike me dead
But...

When the whole world looks at me they see some other guy
Doesn't matter what I say, they all made up their minds
I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now
But I find the strength to smile somehow
And say...

I'm so glad to be here I could jump off every bridge
But everybody's got a rope around one of my limbs
Tryin' to get their piece they keep on tearing me apart
They wanna get inside me so they can kick around my heart
'Coz...

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

4 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

i just realized the lyrics to Bumblefoot's song "glad to be here" really sound like he was talking about GNR, especially the part where he sings "When the whole world looks at me they see some other guy" which obviously seems to mean Slash. but of course it could mean a million other things too.

But...

And say...

'Coz...

in a 2012 Gn'R gig I've attended, Bumble performed this song during his solo spot. just looking at his face while he played and sang it, I'd say my guess is that it is totally about his time in Gn'R, but as you said, could be about something else.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rovim said:

in a 2012 Gn'R gig I've attended, Bumble performed this song during his solo spot. just looking at his face while he played and sang it, I'd say my guess is that it is totally about his time in Gn'R, but as you said, could be about something else.

I had the same feeling back in 2012 when I saw them in Mönchengladbach, but I really liked that song. Same with Tommy's "Motivation", I always like that song and his Village Gorilla Head album.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

i just realized the lyrics to Bumblefoot's song "glad to be here" really sound like he was talking about GNR, especially the part where he sings "When the whole world looks at me they see some other guy" which obviously seems to mean Slash. but of course it could mean a million other things too. the song was released in 2008.

But...

And say...

'Coz...

I think it is clear not only the songs themselves (Glad To Be Here and Objectify) and the fact that he decided to play these at GN'R shows, tell a lot about his feelings at the time. That he was uncomfortable in GN'R is also clear from a bunch of other things.

MAY AND NOVEMBER 2012: BUMBLEFOOT STARTS PLAYING 'GLAD TO BE HERE' AND 'OBJECTIFY' AS HIS SOLO SONGS

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bmus1 said:

This I Love has been going crazy on Spotify lately. It's up to over 70,000,000 streams, and last I checked a year ago it hadn't cracked 60.

Not surprised. It's the 20th century N. Rain for sure. It's a shame many won't here The Blues demo, spectacular. My gnr fantasies came true with locker leaks and msl/quiet leaks. My fears came true with the first 3 hybrid singles 😂