"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

7 hours ago, bmus1 said:

This I Love has been going crazy on Spotify lately. It's up to over 70,000,000 streams, and last I checked a year ago it hadn't cracked 60.

I've given it another chance myself, I used to really dislike it, but it's grown on me lately. I wonder what the huge sudden interest is in it though? 

57 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Not surprised. It's the 20th century N. Rain for sure. It's a shame many won't here The Blues demo, spectacular. My gnr fantasies came true with locker leaks and msl/quiet leaks. My fears came true with the first 3 hybrid singles 😂 

I have a feeling that there’s a Blues-like demo of TIL with the additional drums they play live, but are missing from the album version. I don’t know why they did that to the drums on both of those songs.

The Blues also benefits a ton from the drums before verse 1.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bmus1 said:

This I Love has been going crazy on Spotify lately. It's up to over 70,000,000 streams, and last I checked a year ago it hadn't cracked 60.

Maybe it was used in some TV show or something? Those things tend to have a huge impact on streams.

TIL is one of those songs that really benefits from a raspier delivery by Axl. The album version does nothing for me, and never has; but his live vocals in 2010 really made it soar. And obviously the ridiculously raspy vocals from the remix version.

• Like 2

A new version of TIL with the complete drum take, 2010 vocals, and Slash and Duff parts that compliment the original would probably be the *best sounding* thing the band could put out today.

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

2 hours ago, bmus1 said:

A new version of TIL with the complete drum take, 2010 vocals, and Slash and Duff parts that compliment the original would probably be the *best sounding* thing the band could put out today.

Hell yeah.

I'd love to hear that remix with the raspy vocals. The clean vocals are a bit challenging.

20 hours ago, bmus1 said:

And replacing Robin's excellent solo? I'd rather not have it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

And replacing Robin's excellent solo? I'd rather not have it.

That is some of Robin's best work, as is Better. Better and TIL are my favorite CD songs. (Not including the Village leaks, I love Robin's work on Zodiac 13, Perhaps, and Hardschool as well) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That is some of Robin's best work, as is Better. Better and TIL are my favorite CD songs. (Not including the Village leaks, I love Robin's work on Zodiac 13, Perhaps, and Hardschool as well) 

I don't really care at all for TIL besides the solo. Robin elevated it from mediocre to excellent. 

It's a shame that he often doesn't get the recognition for his work on CD. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't really care at all for TIL besides the solo. Robin elevated it from mediocre to excellent. 

I couldn't agree more! It is further saddening that his work on the follow-up album has not been realized officially, save for a few seconds in Perhaps, but that's a different story. 

I'm still holding out hope we get to hear the older mixes of "newer" songs with Robin and Buckethead on them, whether by leaks or ideally, in some official box set as bonus content. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I think his TIL solo is a bit overrated. Not that it’s bad but I like his work on Better and TWAT more.

57 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think his TIL solo is a bit overrated. Not that it’s bad but I like his work on Better and TWAT more.

I also prefer his work on Better, but TWAT is just good to me. I love his solo on SOD, tho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I'm with this too. To me what makes the TIL solo great is more of a vibe thing, than the actual solo. There's live versions Slash has done that serve no justice to the song (London 2017), but there's others where he gets into the right feel (Fenway 2023) and it's as good as the studio version.

The Better solo though is as important as Bucket's TWAT solo imo, and it's a shame Slash didn't learn that one closer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I'm with this too. To me what makes the TIL solo great is more of a vibe thing, than the actual solo. There's live versions Slash has done that serve no justice to the song (London 2017), but there's others where he gets into the right feel (Fenway 2023) and it's as good as the studio version.

The Better solo though is as important as Bucket's TWAT solo imo, and it's a shame Slash didn't learn that one closer.

The Better solo by Slash has grown on me but Finck’s has really class. Good job!

On 3/6/2024 at 12:07 PM, bmus1 said:

I wonder what earlier versions sounded like, I believe it was significantly different from what we have heard. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder what earlier versions sounded like, I believe it was significantly different from what we have heard. 

I imagine it's super similar to The Blues vs Street of Dreams. No orchestra, more drums, less double tracked vocals maybe?

I don't know what about the final couple years of Chinese Democracy's production led them to cut out so many drum parts, even though a lot were retained for live shows.

8 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I imagine it's super similar to The Blues vs Street of Dreams. No orchestra, more drums, less double tracked vocals maybe?

I don't know what about the final couple years of Chinese Democracy's production led them to cut out so many drum parts, even though a lot were retained for live shows.

Probably. Yes, some of the life of the songs was sucked away from the 2000-2003 (or whatever) demos to the 2008 final mixes. 

Now, it's even worse with the CD2 stuff, as a lot of it is from the same period as the 2008 album, and on top of already being bloated and overproduced by 2008, the NITL re-working and shit production adds an even more fucked element to them. 

• Like 2

I noticed the tour for SMKC ends in April. Is Slash touring  behind the blues album? If so, for how long?

It seems like the tour for the blues album might be short. I'm curious as to when GNR will reconvene. I know there were rumors about a 40th anniversary tour starting next year. 

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

I noticed the tour for SMKC ends in April. Is Slash touring  behind the blues album? If so, for how long?

It seems like the tour for the blues album might be short. I'm curious as to when GNR will reconvene. I know there were rumors about a 40th anniversary tour starting next year. 

Somewhere it was written that it’s a world tour planned but I guess he could tour the world within 6 months easily.