"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Google for YEARS used Axl's 2006 MTV Music Awards picture as his main picture (He still had CORNROWS in that picture, so you know that's REALLY dated, 😱😬Google JUST recently updated his picture to a much more recent picture, one that was taken in like 2016. 😀

Edited by Karice

On 10/22/2023 at 6:19 PM, Blackstar said:

Interesting article/interview on the late '80s/early '90s LA band Little Ceasar. There are some GN'R related bits: The singer, Ron Young, was going to be the singer in Snakepit I, but Geffen disagreed:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/little-caesar-rock-band-story

Great band. And their cover of Chain of Fools is fantastic, I don't know why the Louder guys play the rockier-than-thou and criticize it for being the (fairly) successful single.

I wonder if GNR could pull off a Live Era '16-'23 release? I feel like there's several live versions they do today that I'd love to get a proper release of if they found the right version. Better, Bad Obsession, and Locomotive all come to mind. But I don't know if that's something that 90% of the general population would care about.

• Like 1

With The General (and quite possibly Soulmonster) now out in the open, my new holy grail has undoubtedly become Seven. The sheer brilliance of Marco Beltrami's orchestrations is awe-inspiring, and considering that Seven was his personal favorite among the songs he contributed to, it must hold something truly exceptional.

Come to think of it, are we sure that we haven't heard a tiny bit of Seven within that orchestral intro as well? I'm referring to the extended version of the intro, you know, the longest one. I believe there was a segment in there that doesn't appear on either The General or Monsters. Weren't there some horn arrangements at the conclusion of that extended intro? Could that be Seven?

26 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

With The General (and quite possibly Soulmonster) now out in the open, my new holy grail has undoubtedly become Seven. The sheer brilliance of Marco Beltrami's orchestrations is awe-inspiring, and considering that Seven was his personal favorite among the songs he contributed to, it must hold something truly exceptional.

Come to think of it, are we sure that we haven't heard a tiny bit of Seven within that orchestral intro as well? I'm referring to the extended version of the intro, you know, the longest one. I believe there was a segment in there that doesn't appear on either The General or Monsters. Weren't there some horn arrangements at the conclusion of that extended intro? Could that be Seven?

I was listening to the General on low volume, and the intro for the general and the horns section sounds somewhat similar in tune

12 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

I was listening to the General on low volume, and the intro for the general and the horns section sounds somewhat similar in tune

Not sure what you mean. Obviously the orchestral intro was used on both The General and Monsters, but at what part of The General did you hear the horns section? I haven't heard that part on either of these songs. But it could be very buried under the mix of course.

2 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Not sure what you mean. Obviously the orchestral intro was used on both The General and Monsters, but at what part of The General did you hear the horns section? I haven't heard that part on either of these songs. But it could be very buried under the mix of course.

The very start. They didn't use the horns, but the synth at the start and the horns sound a bit similar.

I saw someone mention Newgnr.com earlier today on another thread and I decided to take a trip down memory lane on web archives, I checked out Nov/Dec 2008 (exciting time) and came across a “Axl Speaks” post on Dec 14th. Was a enjoyable read but one thing that stood out to me was Axl talking about not doing a solo record and sticking with the GNR name but as he says here.. 

There’s been a lot of pressure to go with using my name (all external) but that never felt right to me for this band and the parameters in regard to this music have lots more to do with the mindset of Guns than something else. The instrumental I wrote for End of Days that’s more a solo effort at least presently.

We all know “Oh My God” and we know that ain’t no instrumental. So what exactly is he referring to? Did he create a song for the score album? I searched the End Of Days score album on discogs.com and can’t find any information regarding Axl there. Am I just misinterpreting what Axl said and he is actually referring to Oh My God? 

@Blackstar You are the gnr encyclopaedia, any ideas? :question:

2 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

I saw someone mention Newgnr.com earlier today on another thread and I decided to take a trip down memory lane on web archives, I checked out Nov/Dec 2008 (exciting time) and came across a “Axl Speaks” post on Dec 14th. Was a enjoyable read but one thing that stood out to me was Axl talking about not doing a solo record and sticking with the GNR name but as he says here.. 

There’s been a lot of pressure to go with using my name (all external) but that never felt right to me for this band and the parameters in regard to this music have lots more to do with the mindset of Guns than something else. The instrumental I wrote for End of Days that’s more a solo effort at least presently.

We all know “Oh My God” and we know that ain’t no instrumental. So what exactly is he referring to? Did he create a song for the score album? I searched the End Of Days score album on discogs.com and can’t find any information regarding Axl there. Am I just misinterpreting what Axl said and he is actually referring to Oh My God? 

That was "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?" He said he wrote it inspired by some segments from the movie that he saw:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5025p30-21-september-1997-november-1999-josh-and-tommy-joins-robin-leaves-live-era-is-released#21281

I guess it was something that he wrote for himself and didn't submit it to be included in the film score.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That was "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?" He said he wrote it inspired by some segments from the movie that he saw:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5025p30-21-september-1997-november-1999-josh-and-tommy-joins-robin-leaves-live-era-is-released#21281

I guess it was something that he wrote for himself and didn't submit it to be included in the film score.

Learn something new every day! Maybe Axl can give it to Slash to use in one of his horror movies in the future, Axl has said he’d like to score a movie, Slash may be his way in :awesomeface:

• Like 1

I've often wondered about how perfect it all seems that we had 19 discs of stuff leak then start getting finished versions of the songs with vocals from those discs. Stuff seemingly finished by Slash n Duff after they leaked... Or because they leaked?

The current General and Monsters leak seems... I dunno, suspect? 

Edited by rumandraisin

10 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I've often wondered about how perfect it all seems that we had 19 discs of stuff leak then start getting finished versions of the songs with vocals from those discs. Stuff seemingly finished by Slash n Duff after they leaked... Or because they leaked?

Not sure I follow, How do you mean? Neither The General or Monsters are on those discs

11 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

They definitely started reworking CD era material before the locker leaks. Slash went to record in Axl's studio in April 2019 and the leaks started happening in the summer of that year.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, D4NNY said:

This is taken from something i worked on years ago and maybe will one day finish. Can you link the newgnr page you saw please? I want to see if any of my old posts are there

Daddy, Can the Devil Do Mommy and Me?  

An unused instrumental Score for the End Of Days film. More an Axl solo track than a GNR song. 
“I saw segments of the movie which were good. As a whole later not so much but it wasn't ready yet then. I did write an experimental piece inspired by the bits I'd seen called "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?"(Axl chinesedemocracy.com, December 13, 2008)

“I didn't make a solo record. A solo record would be completely different than this and probably much more instrumental. The instrumental I wrote for End of Days that's more a solo effort at least presently.” he also later in the same piece mentioned his solo efforts. were much more experimental and instrumental.”(Axl)
https://web.archive.org/web/20090107092946/http://gunsnroses.com/

The same year he was supposed to have a song on another movie

Voivod, whose singer Eric Forrest is recuperating well from injuries sustained in a van accident last summer, is finishing up mixes on a live album and will be supplying the musical score for the animated movie Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2, a sequel to Heavy Metal . Other artists slated to contribute to the soundtrack include Billy Idol, Axl Rose, and Monster Magnet.(MTV Online 25th of May 1999)

The legendary animated feature "Heavy Metal," which spawned one of the most revered soundtracks of the AOR era, is being followed up with what looks to be a worthy successor. "Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2," produced by Kevin Eastman, is about to wrap up production and should be out later this year.
Music supervisor Bruce Berman confirms that he is in talks with Axl Rose to include a new Guns N' Roses song in the movie, although it's not expected to appear on the soundtrack album. A source close to Rose says the singer is into the project, but he may or may not be able to work out a schedule that will allow him to participate.(Metal Edge Magazine Online May 14th 1999)

An animated video in the style of Heavy Metal would later appear at the bands returning shows. I wonder if these were made by people responsible for the Kevin Eastman produced film as a sort of sweetener to help close a deal that never materialized. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little post-nut tour clarity quiz!

The upcoming hiatus:
(a)    will be fruitful and the band will actually prepare an album within a year or so 
(b)    will generate another couple of old demos only 
(c)    stuff will be made but we won’t see anything (bar the upcoming vinyl) for another year or two 
(d)    same as (b) but Merchnando will make a brief, 5-minute appearance on Reddit with the good ole yes/no/maybe shtick

Melissa being absent recently:
(a)    she really was sick as said by Axl
(b)    she got impregnated by one of the band members and had to vomit a lot 
(c)    she was involved in a hair-dyeing experiment gone wrong and didn’t wanna be seen / had to wear a wig, so opted out completely 
(d)    sued Axl for not having been paid in months and went back to Brain 

Axl:
(a)    is fine the way he looks
(b)    should have kept his hair long 
(c)    should have grown a beard 
(d)    go touch some grass, mate 

As of now we’re:
(a)    all burned down 
(b)    all burned out 
(c)    over now 
(d)    fine in general 

The best one so far:
(a)    Absurd 
(b)    Hard Skool 
(c)    Perhaps 
(d)    The General 
(e)    Monsters 

Write down your answers, call a random unknown number and inform that person about the results. You’re guaranteed to get some mighty interesting conversation. 
Good luck! 

• Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

49 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

The upcoming hiatus: 

(b)    will generate another couple of old demos only 

Melissa being absent recently:

(a)    she really was sick as said by Axl

The best one so far:

(e)    Monsters 

I think Melissa really is sick too. The other choices, especially the one where Melissa got morning sickness after being impregnated by one of the Bandmates were just absurd, pun intended. I couldn't see Melissa having sex with any Guns N'Roses Members. They are all old enough to be her Father, especially Axl who is about 30 years older than her. 

10 minutes ago, Karice said:

I think Melissa really is sick too. The other choices, especially the one where Melissa got morning sickness after being impregnated by one of the Bandmates were just absurd, pun intended. I couldn't see Melissa having sex with any Guns N'Roses Members. They are all old enough to be her Father, especially Axl who is about 30 years older than her. 

She was in a relationship with Brain wasnt she? And he travelled with them.

3 hours ago, vloors said:

She was in a relationship with Brain wasnt she? And he travelled with them.

Hmm. I'm still learning about Guns N'Roses. If she is pregnant with one of their babies, she'd give birth to a new generation of Guns N'Roses, literally. 🤔😀