"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Has Axl ever explained his thought process behind the 3 guitar era? As far as I can tell, he's always wanted an Izzy (Tobias/Fortus), a Slash (Finck/Ashba), and then added the technical guitarist slot (Bucket/BF) for the NuGuns era. But I wasn't sure if his approach was as linear as it appears.

21 hours ago, bmus1 said:

Has Axl ever explained his thought process behind the 3 guitar era? As far as I can tell, he's always wanted an Izzy (Tobias/Fortus), a Slash (Finck/Ashba), and then added the technical guitarist slot (Bucket/BF) for the NuGuns era. But I wasn't sure if his approach was as linear as it appears.

"It is still very new for them to play together as band, with Robin (Finck) and Buckethead. That was a surprise. Obviously, that was the correct decision to make, but it was not originally planned to have three guitarists." (Axl, Rock & Pop FM, 01/22/01)

"Originally it was gonna be a two-guitar player group. I split forever so I thought and went back to Nine Inch Nails. In my absence they were looking to replace me and Josh Freese, the drummer at the time, had brought Buckethead in to essentially fill the slot I had left. They really liked him but he's kind of a stunt guitar player. He does a very specific thing and he has a real genius sensibility about him. But he rarely plays the same thing twice ever and when you're trying to cruise through "Nightrain" that just makes it a little (laughs) too different. So they needed someone to anchor the songs. They kept Buckethead to do what Buckethead does and they needed someone else to play alongside. ...  I think especially with Guns, I was more of a soul player than a soundscape artist." (Robin, Ultimate Guitar, 01/17/14)

"This band did not come together by a bunch of guys meeting each other in a bar or down on a corner in their old neighborhood, so it's taken a long time to pull these guys together and then have them develop a chemistry with themselves. When we did our first show in Vegas, Robin and Buckethead didn't know each other at all. You've got two lead guitar players trying to kill each other with their abilities. [...] I think they can be cordial to each other, that whole kind of thing, but when they're actually playing, it gets that kind of alpha male thing going, like 'Who's the real lead guitar player?'" (Axl, WRIF, 11/21/02)

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3531

• Like 2

Frank's additions to CD seemed to be the ones that stood out the most. In a pointless sort of way. It's surprising how quick Axl decided to feature him after playing half the summer 2006 tour and getting him in the studio just after.

Despite all that effort in having Brain redo the drums multiple times, the big room sound, spending years trying to get the Smells Like Teen Spirit snare sound on the title track only to get Frank in with a pretty bland drum sound. Especially on IRS where his parts total under a minute. 

4 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Frank's additions to CD seemed to be the ones that stood out the most. In a pointless sort of way. It's surprising how quick Axl decided to feature him after playing half the summer 2006 tour and getting him in the studio just after.

Despite all that effort in having Brain redo the drums multiple times, the big room sound, spending years trying to get the Smells Like Teen Spirit snare sound on the title track only to get Frank in with a pretty bland drum sound. Especially on IRS where his parts total under a minute. 

A lot of people have complained about Frank's drumming. In a Reddit post way back in 2016, posts were predicting that Frank would be GONE from Guns N'Roses by the end of 2016. They like you, mentioned how bland his drumming is.  7 years later, he's still there. So even 7 years ago, People were thinking Frank would be gone, which shows how he's not all that liked as a drummer. 

18 minutes ago, Karice said:

A lot of people have complained about Frank's drumming. In a Reddit post way back in 2016, posts were predicting that Frank would be GONE from Guns N'Roses by the end of 2016. They like you, mentioned how bland his drumming is.  7 years later, he's still there. So even 7 years ago, People were thinking Frank would be gone, which shows how he's not all that liked as a drummer. 

It was more the drum sound on the album that I thought was bland, particularly on the title track. Compare to the 'new Brain drums' cd from the locker discs. Now we're talking. They knocked all the life out of that song in particular. 

Brain is a beast. best GNR drummer.

I'd love to praise Frank, he seems to be a cool guy, but I don't know, he's doing the job, but there's not much to say. he's pretty transparent, and he's very far away from the fans too, like typical studio hired musician. not a fan of his style. but hey, good for him he has a really good gig and he's here until the end of the band. 

I don't mind Frank. He does his job and never moans. Compare to Bumble. Reading the excellent a-4-d history of the band, by the time you get to the 2011 chapter through 2014 it's essentially just endless Bumblefoot posts whining and moaning. About he he shouldn't have gone on tour, feeling the fans frustration, not putting out new music, how the cd material was just leftovers from a band that doesn't exist, frustration with management and so on. Happy to stay and get paid though 'ey. 

While Frank might not be the most talented drummer they've had, he's given stability to the band and is professional when it comes to interviews. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

I don't mind Frank. He does his job and never moans. Compare to Bumble. Reading the excellent a-4-d history of the band, by the time you get to the 2011 chapter through 2014 it's essentially just endless Bumblefoot posts whining and moaning. About he he shouldn't have gone on tour, feeling the fans frustration, not putting out new music, how the cd material was just leftovers from a band that doesn't exist, frustration with management and so on. Happy to stay and get paid though 'ey. 

While Frank might not be the most talented drummer they've had, he's given stability to the band and is professional when it comes to interviews. 

Okay, so at least Frank is cool and a Professional. 😀 It's a shame his drumming isn't REALLY good. Unike Matt or Steven who were REALLY good drummers. 🥺

Edited by Karice

Was thinking about Catcher today. Before May added his solo, did Finck have a take? After Finck rejoined the band, did he or Bucket ever lay any other solos? Or did the May solo stay until Bumble added his? It's weird that Bucket doesn't have any credits on it, did he never touch it? If they had played it live in 2006, who would've played the solo, and what solo?

16 minutes ago, Amir said:

Was thinking about Catcher today. Before May added his solo, did Finck have a take? After Finck rejoined the band, did he or Bucket ever lay any other solos? Or did the May solo stay until Bumble added his? It's weird that Bucket doesn't have any credits on it, did he never touch it? If they had played it live in 2006, who would've played the solo, and what solo?

But Axl was feeling he
that was in a difficult place because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album had, sort of,
replaced Slash, because they fell out, sadly. I think that is sad actually because they're both brilliant
talents and great with each other. But the guitarist that'd done most of the tracks had departed and Axl
had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet he didn't want him on the album, I hope I'm
not saying too much here, he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd disappeared, you
know. So, he's sort of feeling a kind of divided loyalty and he said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which
I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I
played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. (Brian May) https://web.archive.org/web/20110704184258/http://qfg2.info/gnrnews_old.html

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I seem to recall May told Mary Anne Hobs on Radio 1 years ago that Axl had asked him to replace parts by a player who had left, timeline wise that would have to mean Fink i guess

Yeah I remember these quotes

"Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected [...] but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. [...] Robin's guitar will stay on some [of the re-recorded AFD tracks], but not all." (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

"Axl was feeling he that was in a difficult place, because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album, [...] that'd done most of the tracks, had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet [...] he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd disappeared, you know." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

But I still wonder, what did that original Finck guitar track sound like? Did he do another take once Axl decided he didn't like May's solo? Did Buckethead take a stab? Or did it go straight from May to Bumble? :shrugs:

1 minute ago, Amir said:

Yeah I remember these quotes

But I still wonder, what did that original Finck guitar track sound like? Did he do another take once Axl decided he didn't like May's solo? Did Buckethead take a stab? Or did it go straight from May to Bumble? :shrugs:

The amount of players there were there's probably multiple takes of solo's from all of them on every song. As far as CITR goes I think when Fink came back they probably just put his previously recorded solo back in, then had BBF replace it later (but who knows)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

34 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

The amount of players there were there's probably multiple takes of solo's from all of them on every song. As far as CITR goes I think when Fink came back they probably just put his previously recorded solo back in, then had BBF replace it later (but who knows)

From what Axl said about the support for May only coming after they'd moved on, so going around the time of first leak, it was probably Robin doing the solo by then. Bumble recorded his solo either after the euro 2006 tour or early 2007, the two lots of sessions he did with Guns. 

Bucket probably tried a solo too. It's likely every track had attempts from every guitarist. 

• Like 1

I just noticed that the first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 was rumoured to be released on October 26th and now the rumoured release date is December 7th.

The Perhaps vinyl with The General and Monsters was supposed to be released on October 27th and then it was delayed to December 8th.

Imagine if there's a connection? Imagine if they're actually going to use Monsters or The General on the GTA 6 trailer. I've always said that the best possible promotion for new GNR music would be to put it on GTA 6. Putting it on the first trailer of the most anticipated game of all times, would be the best promotion that they could ever have.

At the same time, if they really want to make the first trailer of GTA 6 as epic as it can be and use some brand new music to promote it, there probably is no new music as epic as Monsters out there.

Brand new GNR music in the GTA 6 trailer. It's probably not going to happen, but damn it would be beautiful if it did happen.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I just noticed that the first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 was rumoured to be released on October 26th and now the rumoured release date is December 7th.

The Perhaps vinyl with The General and Monsters was supposed to be released on October 27th and then it was delayed to December 8th.

Imagine if there's a connection? Imagine if they're actually going to use Monsters or The General on the GTA 6 trailer. I've always said that the best possible promotion for new GNR music would be to put it on GTA 6. Putting it on the first trailer of the most anticipated game of all times, would be the best promotion that they could ever have.

At the same time, if they really want to make the first trailer of GTA 6 as epic as it can be and use some brand new music to promote it, there probably is no new music as epic as Monsters out there.

Brand new GNR music in the GTA 6 trailer. It's probably not going to happen, but damn it would be beautiful if it did happen.

That would be amazing! It's probably not going to happen, but that would be the best promotion they could ask for if it did