Face Reality - There Will Never Be Another GN’R Album

17 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, because let's face it we can't go back to 1988 when GNR was young and new.

I think a lot of fans would want the GNR music to sound like they did back then, but you know people change and nothing stays the same.

I am curious as to what anything new from GNR would sound like and I still think with Slash and Duff Axl could write and record some great new stuff, but what would they write about?

Axl seems happy now, so there goes that. I would hate GNR to write anything political. I loved Linkin Park until they got political and now with Chester gone, I doubt they'll recover from that. He was one of a kind.

I just think a lot of fans want the old GNR back, but that's never going to happen. And also some people are never happy with anything GNR does or even in their personal lives. lol

I want a live cd/blue ray of this past tour. I know re-releasing AFD was a good move, but this reunion with Slash and Duff needs to be recorded too.

16 hours ago, bojan said:

Unfortunately, dontdamnmeuyi2015 is correct, nothing they come up with would sound like the old days...

But, damn it, they should know by now that the only way to produce some seriously cool and heartfelt shit is to be a BAND again, even if just for the preproduction and recording...they should "lock" themselves in a mansion or something (remember making of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik by RHCP) for a few weeks and write off of each other, like a fuckin' r'n'r band should be doing, not some copy-paste nonsense. And build the songs the way they used to, with those mentioned bridges and codas that we all love...I don't know if it is an Izzy thing or what, but with Izzy in the equation it would be pretty close to the "organic" classic GN'R sound...wishfull thinking I'm afraid. Just "lose" a month of your life, put aside your comfort zones and give us and yourselves one last bitchin' GN'R record!

15 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Not me, im interested to know where they are "now". Though would like them to have the same rockin tunes from the illusions era. Im hoping they work on any of those songs from the 94-96 time frame. 

In reply to the posts above: I like when artists evolve and progress, so I certainly hope GN'R never ever try to re-do AFD. I'd much rather hear them continue the progress of their sound that was made on UYI, then CD.

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

I don't like threads like this that try to state opinions as fact. Don't tell me to face "reality" and then give me your opinion why there will never be new another GNR record. 

I don't sit here every day eagerly anticipating word of a new single or album. However, when or if that day comes, I will rejoice. According to the band, Slash and Duff returning was only ever going to be a few dates and then "see what happens." They ended up getting along and they're touring every nook and cranny of this wide world.

We don't know what they're doing in their downtime. 

Maybe Bumble was shut down because Axl didn't care for his songwriting ideas. Ditto for Ashba. Nothing either of those two ever wrote has really interested me. So I'm glad they weren't given carte blanche on anything GNR. 

The type of opinions in this thread are coming from 25+ years of history. Before Ashba & Ron were around, Axl and the rest of GN'R were going around telling everyone that they had over 40 amazing songs yet nothing ever came of it. The fact seems to be that Axl just has no interest in releasing music.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

the very strange think is that 80 % of us told that there is not even one chance to see Slash and Axl together. Now nobody remember that period. So again same story about the Album

I would LOVE to be wrong about never seeing an album. 

• Like 2

I did like CD but it really didn't feel like a GNR album to me, but there are some amazing songs on it. Glad Axl kept them in the set list and Slash rocks the guitar solos very well. Love how in tune Slash is with Richard too.

Guess time will tell. The band seems to be getting along well, so maybe they will decide to see what new stuff they can come up with in the near future.

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I would LOVE to be wrong about never seeing an album. 

I agree with you. I would love to be wrong too. :lol:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

How many of us thought CD would never see the light of day? I'm hoping we will get an album in the next 18-24 months.

So far in the history of this band..2010-2018 this decade is the only one without new music.

But... but... what about the SOYL single the NITL lineup recorded?

[Insert X-Files meme here]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edward Nigma said:

How many of us thought CD would never see the light of day? I'm hoping we will get an album in the next 18-24 months.

So far in the history of this band..2010-2018 this decade is the only one without new music.

I got a little worried that CD might never be released when it didn't come out in 2006. Other than that, I always felt positive it would come out at some point. 

• Like 1

I think there will be another album, possibly soon.  The main reason CD took so long is because all eyes were on Axl.  All the pressure of the album, etc was on him.  It was 90% his music/his ideas, etc.

That isn't the case with a new album now.  The pressure is distributed between Axl, Slash, Duff, etc.  So all eyes aren't on Axl and everything isn't on his shoulders.  Plus, with the amount of ideas they all have and the amount of music Axl has already recorded, it's a no-brainer. 

It'll probably happen pretty fast after they get in the studio...and it will also give them another reason to tour.  And if it's a success, they shouldn't have problems selling out stadiums.  Even if it's not a huge success, they'll still sell out arenas with this lineup...so in reality, they have nothing to lose.

On 13/10/2018 at 8:54 AM, bojan said:

Unfortunately, dontdamnmeuyi2015 is correct, nothing they come up with would sound like the old days...

But, damn it, they should know by now that the only way to produce some seriously cool and heartfelt shit is to be a BAND again, even if just for the preproduction and recording...they should "lock" themselves in a mansion or something (remember making of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik by RHCP) for a few weeks and write off of each other, like a fuckin' r'n'r band should be doing, not some copy-paste nonsense. And build the songs the way they used to, with those mentioned bridges and codas that we all love...I don't know if it is an Izzy thing or what, but with Izzy in the equation it would be pretty close to the "organic" classic GN'R sound...wishfull thinking I'm afraid. Just "lose" a month of your life, put aside your comfort zones and give us and yourselves one last bitchin' GN'R record!

I think theres a section in flashs autobiography where he says as a way of giving advice to young bands, record together. That was based on the way VR recorded their albums and i think the way slash likes to record having the rest of the band with him. Im hoping if we get a new gnr album the band record together. When guns started rehearsing again in 96 the band were so disjointed they were in different patterns. Slash and duff would come in during the day but axl wouldnt shown up till either night or early hours of the morning. You cant develop a band chemistry if everyones in a different time zone.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

the very strange think is that 80 % of us told that there is not even one chance to see Slash and Axl together. Now nobody remember that period. So again same story about the Album

Same. I think a lot of what was true in the past (during the CD era or whatever) no longer applies, and that extends to new music.

Slash and Duff will bring back the sound GNR are known for and some of the songwriting that will steady the nerves of the rec comp, Axl, everyone. 

But now it doesn’t matter, they already made it, and it’s not going to sell like the 90s. 

It’s a pure artistic statement. It’s success will be on if they can do it with the music. 

It’s so hard to live up to the hype so I don’t mind the idea of it growing organically out of CD or being just a huge record scope wise you can’t pin it on anyone person. Pooling all eras and writers and making a self titled album that has songs from Slash, Duff, Izzy, Bucket, Axl, Fortus, Huge, Finck, Dizzy, whoever seems like a decent final album/project. Even getting friends like Angus, May on and doing some cool covers. Just make it a big whopperdelic sandwich with extra mayo and chili sauce. Make every casual fan and Izzy cultist to metal fan to guitar nerd take an interest. Let Lars play drums on a track if it gets Metalica fans on board. Cover One by U2. May solos on Atlas Shrugged. Call it Guns N Fuckin’ Roses. 

• Like 1

On 13.10.2018 at 9:00 PM, RussTCB said:

I got a little worried that CD might never be released when it didn't come out in 2006. Other than that, I always felt positive it would come out at some point. 

Just out of curiosity, why are you so skeptical this time around? This time releasing an album should be MUCH easier for Axl, when the pressure isn't solely on him. No one's gonna blame him for ruining GNR if the next album isn't as great as the first albums were. This time Axl has a band that most people consider GNR. Everyone in the band seems to want to release new music, so what exactly is the reason why you're so much more skeptical now?

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you so skeptical this time around? This time releasing an album should be MUCH easier for Axl, when the pressure isn't solely on him. No one's gonna blame him for ruining GNR if the next album isn't as great as the first albums were. This time Axl has a band that most people consider GNR. Everyone in the band seems to want to release new music, so what exactly is the reason why you're so much more skeptical now?

The easiest way I can explain it is that Axl has made me this way. The guy just doesn't want to release new music. It would've been way more beneficial to him to have released a lot of new music between 1998 and 2014, then it would be now. 

He could've had the chance to prove everyone wrong but he just never released enough music to do so. 

If anything, a largely successful album now would do even more to damage the publics opinion of how he's handled GNR for the last two decades while the others were gone. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The easiest way I can explain it is that Axl has made me this way. The guy just doesn't want to relapse new music. 

Just because a lot of fans chose not to like any particular line up, doesn't mean Axl didn't. It would've been way more beneficial to him to have released a lot of new music between 1998 and 2014, then it would be now. 

He could've had the chance to prove everyone wrong but he just never released enough music to do so. 

If anything, a largely successful album now would do even more to damage the publics opinion of how he's handled GNR for the last two decades while the others were gone. 

Fans aside, I don't think Axl was madly in love with any particular new GN'R line up either. He wanted Slash, Duff and Izzy. They didn't like the 90s Axl for many reasons well known to everyone. They have different ideas among themselves. CD is very different compared to the kind of solo albums Slash, Duff and Izzy made. Only VR albums could be somewhat closer to GN'R. But I'm not sure if Axl was willing to make and album like Contraband back in 94 or 95. We also have to take into considerations how the music industry has been operating over the last 25 years. Is there any room for rock bands like GN'R? I don't see how millenials (in massive numbers) can be persuaded to enjoy 70s or 80s music 

I'm curious how well a new GNR album will do in terms of charts, take a look at the Greatest Hits album, that thing has sold a mother load since it came out honestly think it hasn't dropped out of hardly any charts since 2004, hardly a week goes by without it not charting in the billboard 200. Yes it contains some of bands best tracks from the heyday of the band, but would a new gnr album have to better this?

Edited by Edward Nigma

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The guy just doesn't want to release new music.

You don't know that though. I understand that it may seem like Axl doesn't want to release new music, but then again it didn't seem like he wanted to release new music before CD was released either. Well it didn't seem like that for the general public. I don't even remember how many times it seemed like CD might be released, but it never happened. Again and again and again and again the release was cancelled. So why did you believe that CD would be released back then, when most people doubted it would ever be released because of all the delays?

I know why I personally believed that CD would be released. Because based on all the interviews, Axl genuinely seemed to want to release it despite all the delays. Same thing this time too, except this time Axl's been wise enough to not build too much hype around the next album too early. But we've seen interviews of Axl where you can clearly see that he wants to release new material at some point. So despite of not releasing music in a long time, I do believe he wants to release new stuff at some point. They've been touring and they just released the AFD boxset, so they're working much more like a normal band now, compared to the times before CD release.

It would've been way more beneficial to him to have released a lot of new music between 1998 and 2014, then it would be now. 

Maybe... Who knows. At the end of the day Axl has always wanted to (at least paint the picture that) he's doing what's best for GNR. He always tried to make it clear that when Slash and Duff quit GNR, he wanted to keep the band alive FOR THE FANS. But the majority of fans never truly accepted GNR without Slash. People hated Buckethead. Sure, many hadcore fans liked him, but for the majority of GNR fans he was a joke. People hated DJ Ashba even more, so is it really a wonder that Axl didn't have a lot of motivation to release new music with that band. He has always painted the picture that he wants to do what's best for GNR, so finally he called Slash. Now he has a band that the majority of fans love.

Would it have been more beneficial for Axl to release a lot of music between 1998 and  2014, instead of now? That's a hypothetical question and we'll never know the answer for sure. There's a chance that the majority of fans would have NEVER accepted new GNR, no matter what Axl did and how much music Axl would have released. It could have hurt GNR and Axl's reputation much more than the fact that Axl only released one album without much promotion. If Axl would have promoted new GNR like crazy and released a lot of music, there's a chance that the backlash would have been infinitely much stronger than it was. There's a chance that GNR could have become the biggest laughing stock on the planet. So it could be a good thing for his reputation that he didn't release any more music then. Now he has a lot of unreleased material that he can release with a band that the majority of fans actually love, so there's a much bigger chance that those songs will actually be successful when they'll be released. Sure, there's also a chance that many more people would have become fans of new GNR, if Axl would have released more music with the old band but we don't really know what would have happened. It's all speculation. All I know is that I understand 100% why Axl was so hesitant to release music between 1998 and 2014. The stakes were so incredibly high.

Now, pretty much the whole world has forgiven Axl and the majority of people who like rock music want to hear new music from this band and most of all they want to like it. There's people who didn't even want to like Chinese Democracy cause they hated the whole idea of GNR without Slash. But now Axl's been forgiven.

I think, what he managed to do with Chinese Democracy is more than enough for him. The stakes were so ridiculously high, that he could have easily become the biggest joke of all times, but that didn't happen. Instead there's many people who consider CD just as good as the old GNR albums and CD can often be seen on lists about underrated albums. The fact that many people consider it worthy of the GNR name is probably enough for him. They still play CD songs on the tour even though Slash and Duff are back in the band, and Slash and Duff seem to be interested in working on the CD2 songs too. All in all things have gone pretty well for Axl considering that he could have easily become the biggest joke of all times.

Instead they're now selling out stadiums all over the world and there's a lot of demand for new GNR music. Most people don't give a crap about the past war between Axl and Slash. Nobody cares about who needs each other more to be successful Slash or Axl. People are just happy that they are in the same band again and people want new music from this band.

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I disagree! I'm pretty sure that the next album will have a lot of CD2 songs on it, so if it's a successful album, nobody can say that it's only because of Slash and Duff. You can't love the next album without giving a little credit to Axl's past version of GNR too. And that's the funny thing about it. People want to love it because it's the first GNR album with Slash in such a long time. But just like the hugely successful NITL tour, it will be partly nuGNR. So what's going on here is that the lines between nuGNR and old GNR are getting blurred. At the end of the day most people won't care about the lines any more. People will just enjoy new GNR music, no matter if it was written by Buckehead or Slash.

And if Axl will ever release his autobiography, it should clear many things up. From Axl's point of view it's a good thing that he can honestly say that he truly tried to do what's best for GNR. He did call Slash even after all those nasty misunderstandings between them. He can easily paint himself as the good guy now. 

Obviously I'm not saying that I know what's going to happen. This is just how I see things. Of course some people will always speculate about the things that happened between Axl and Slash and who did the right thing and who did the wrong thing. But personally I believe that the majority won't care. And of course there will be people who will hate the next GNR album cause it sounds too modern or whatever. But that's besides the point anyway. I still don't see why you had faith that CD would be released, but you're now so skeptical that new GNR music will be released. I really don't understand your skepticism, but thanks for trying to explain your point of view anyway.

4 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

I'm curious how well a new GNR album will do in terms of charts, take a look at the Greatest Hits album, that thing has sold a mother load since it came out honestly think it hasn't dropped out of hardly any charts since 2004, hardly a week goes by without it not charting in the billboard 200. Yes it contains some of bands best tracks from the heyday of the band, but would a new gnr album have to better this?

A new GN'R album would sell about the same as any other legacy act: It would go to #1 initially, then quickly lose steam. There would probably be one single that got a lot of play upon release, then also quickly falls off and doesn't get played much after the first couple of months.

That's just how it goes with legacy acts and I'm sure that's part of the problem we're facing now: there's really no money or history to be earned from releasing a new GN'R album now.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Padme said:

I don't see how millenials (in massive numbers) can be persuaded to enjoy 70s or 80s music 

I don't think you know what the term millennial means. Millennials are people born between 1980-2000. Well according to some sources it's the generation born between 1980-1995. My point is that a really big portion of millennials were growing up when GNR was at it's peak. Of all the generations millennials and generation X are probably the biggest GNR fans.

Anyway, I don't think that the next GNR album will sound like 70s or 80s music. It'll probably sound more like a mix of Velver Revolver and Chinese Democracy.

Edited by Lies They Tell

@RussTCB, why are you so pessimistic about a new GnR album? You're writing as though GnR is just another band from the '80's. I do know that how people buy and listen to music is very different today but I'm not so quick to think that they're a "Legacy" act. I think anything new is going to be further development from CD and UYI.  However, I'm not one that thinks a new LP is coming quickly. I do think we might get some reworked material from the vault which is fine with me either way. Hell, I'm just happy that Axl and Slash have worked out their differences and Axl genuinely seems happy.  

33 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't think you know what the term millennial means. Millennials are people born between 1980-2000. Well according to some sources it's the generation born between 1980-1995. My point is that a really big portion of millennials were growing up when GNR was at it's peak. Of all the generations millennials and generation X are probably the biggest GNR fans.

Anyway, I don't think that the next GNR album will sound like 70s or 80s music. It'll probably sound more like a mix of Velver Revolver and Chinese Democracy.

AFD came out in 1987. Those into GN'R music were ages 12 and older. Not many five year old kid attended their shows or bought their albums. Millenials were growing up with Nirvana or Pearl Jam and everything that came after them

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

AFD came out in 1987. Those into GN'R music were ages 12 and older. Not many five year old kid attended their shows or bought their albums. Millenials were growing up with Nirvana or Pearl Jam and everything that came after them

I think GnR is unique fans range in age from 70+ to teenagers but I would say that  Millenials are a large part of their fan base. Whether they learned of GnR from their parents, older siblings, YouTube, radio or however.  

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

Some preferred Nirvana or stuff like that for sure, but a huge portion listened to both GNR and grunge and industrial etc... What I'm saying is that next to generation X, millennials probably listen to GNR the most. At least to my knowledge GNR is a little too modern for most of the Baby Boomer -generation. Generation Z that came after the millennials is probably the generation that you're actually talking about. For them 70s and 80s music sounds ancient. For millennials 70s and especially 80s music was a big part of the music they grew up with, along with 90s music.

25 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Some preferred Nirvana or stuff like that for sure, but a huge portion listened to both GNR and grunge and industrial etc... What I'm saying is that next to generation X, millennials probably listen to GNR the most. At least to my knowledge GNR is a little too modern for most of the Baby Boomer -generation. Generation Z that came after the millennials is probably the generation that you're actually talking about. For them 70s and 80s music sounds ancient. For millennials 70s and especially 80s music was a big part of the music they grew up with, along with 90s music.

I was born in the 80's, 85 to be more precise. When I was 17/18, the music scene was the new metal stuff, Maintstream Punk Rock, some industrial and some Pop Rock too.

Bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Static X, The Offspring, SUM 41, Green Day, Oasis, Rage Against The Machine, Rammstein, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Drowning Pool, Saliva, Bush, Incubus (Fucking Incubus! I hate that crap!), P.O.D, Kid Rock, Nine inch Nails were on MTV all the time, and were considered the new breed of rock music.

I got into that but I shifted to the bands of the 80's, then 70's and early 90's. Mostly the bands I like the most were the 80's and the 70's... Van Halen, GNR, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Motley Crue and so on... I even liked Poison! Obviously the quality of the music played by this bands is much superior, then the ones listed above.

With the Grunge scene, my likeness of the grunge bands has been declining. I mean I like Alice in Chains, Nirvana and Soundgarden, but I don't see them as the kind of bands would dethrone a band like GNR or a band like Van Halen. I think they're inferior to the 80's bands, but somewhat interesting. I find it hard to believe that this bands generated a movement that ended with the bands of the 80's...

I just refuse to see a band like Nirvana dethroning bands like GNR, Van Halen... these 2 bands are far more superior... even with Hagar on it...

Anyways it's my taste! I kinda hold a grudge to the whole grunge scene. because I think most of the bands were crap, except the big ones, and the big ones to me were inferior to the great bands of the 80's or 70's in my opinion.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

I just refuse to see a band like Nirvana dethroning bands like GNR, Van Halen... these 2 bands are far more superior... even with Hagar on it...

I agree. GN'R was still massively popular when grunge was at its peak. They were at the point in their careers where they would have been able to survive any shift/movement in what the public was listening to.

• Like 2