The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

41 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Okay, SCOM was featured in a 1990 movie called State of Grace:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100685/soundtrack/

Well, I guess that's it, we can all go home now. It was fun in the few days it lasted.

Wonder if Guns N' Roses pop up, if you search for "Days of Thunder" or "The Dead Pool"? :book:

38 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Okay, SCOM was featured in a 1990 movie called State of Grace:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100685/soundtrack/

Well, I guess that's it, we can all go home now. It was fun in the few days it lasted.

This doesn’t make any sense. Wouldn’t that mean that searching Body of Lies, or even Thor: Love and Thunder would also bring up GN’R?

I tried both, not a sight of GN’R. While "State of Grace" brings Guns up immediately, also showing several official GN’R-playlists.

In my opinion there is a MUCH bigger correlation between songs being uploaded to the Spotify database and showing the artist prematurely by searching the song title, rather than an algorithmic miracle correlating an obscure 90s movie with GN’R.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

An idea: let's make a song title up, and then we start to search for it on Spotify.  Then we can see if the results show anything about gnr. 

Search for "Bitter adult of mine" and let's see if we get anything. 

That could cause GN'R to return because it could associate "of mine" with the most popular GN'R song. Maybe just "bitter adult"?

2 minutes ago, kruelty said:

This doesn’t make any sense. Wouldn’t that mean that searching Body of Lies, or even Thor: Love and Thunder would also bring up GN’R?

I tried both, not a sight of GN’R. While "State of Grace" brings Guns up immediately, also showing several official GN’R-playlists.

In my opinion there is a MUCH bigger correlation between songs being uploaded to the Spotify database and showing the artist prematurely by searching the song title, rather than an algorithmic miracle correlating an obscure 90s movie with GN’R.

There are a couple of versions of SCOM that associate it with the movie, so maybe that's what causes it (although if you search "state of grace guns n' roses" these versions don't appear).

spotif16.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

There are a couple of versions of SCOM that associate it with the movie, so maybe that's what causes it (although if you search "state of grace guns n' roses" these versions don't appear).

spotif16.jpg

It's also an alternate title for SCOM on ASCAP (along with a bunch of other titles). To be fair, that is a service Spotify potentially would connect to as a source of data for their search.

Thing is... why is it spotlighting GN'R for this track ahead of artists like Taylor Swift who actually has multiple tracks on their platform with this title. Like why on earth is the Chinese Democracy album the "Top Result" in the UK when I search "state of grace" now?

Even if there is this tenuous connection to SCOM... a company like Spotify surely isn't going to have a search that's this bad and broken to prioriitise that over all the artists named "State of Grace", all the songs already on the platform called "State of Grace" and all the albums and EPs on the platform titled "State of Grace".

Found an interesting article on Spotify's engineering blog. https://engineering.atspotify.com/2022/03/introducing-natural-language-search-for-podcast-episodes/

It's specifically about their search functionality for podcast episodes which due to the nature of those might require a search functionality that's a lot more open ended i.e. needs to understand searches for topics, questions and themes. Hence there's a lot more NLP work involved.

However one tidbit does probably apply to what we've been looking at.

• From our past search logs, we take successful podcast searches and create (query, episode) pairs. Those successes mostly come from previous queries and their returned results through Elasticsearch.
  • Also from our past search logs, we examined user sessions to find successful attempts at search queries after an initial search came up unsuccessful. We used those query reformulations to create (query_prior_to_successful_reformulation, episode) pairs.
    With this data source, we hope to capture in our training set more “semantic” (query, episode) pairs with no exact word matching between the query and the episode metadata.

They do train the model's that power their search functionality by looking at successful search attempts for user sessions.

Example

I search "The General"
I get no results
I next type in "Guns N' Roses"
I click through to the artist page for GN'R.

I've created a pair between an unsuccessful search query and a successful search query.

The catch to all of this is...  A LOT of users would need to be having user sessions like that over a long period of time to steer these results to be at the top for these search terms.

Edited by Axl S
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

An idea: let's make a song title up, and then we start to search for it on Spotify.  Then we can see if the results show anything about gnr. 

Search for "Bitter adult of mine" and let's see if we get anything. 

I suggested this earlier with the words "Red Panda". Feel free to search for those words as well. Let's see how much we can mess with the algorithm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Axl S said:

It's also an alternate title for SCOM on ASCAP (along with a bunch of other titles). To be fair, that is a service Spotify potentially would connect to as a source of data for their search.

Thing is... why is it spotlighting GN'R for this track ahead of artists like Taylor Swift who actually has multiple tracks on their platform with this title. Like why on earth is the Chinese Democracy album the "Top Result" in the UK when I search "state of grace" now?

Even if there is this tenuous connection to SCOM... a company like Spotify surely isn't going to have a search that's this bad and broken to prioriitise that over all the artists named "State of Grace", all the songs already on the platform called "State of Grace" and all the albums and EPs on the platform titled "State of Grace".

Yeah, the ASCAP thing was brought up in the previous page, and that's how we found out about the movie.

I don't know, I guess anything is possible, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm leaning more towards it being this wicked algorithm :lol:

16 minutes ago, Axl S said:

Is it possible to find out when these were registered?

Judging from the ISWC codes, they were registered along with Hard Skool. Hard Skool didn't appear on ASCAP until a few months ago, however it could have been registered upon release but it wasn't made public.

56 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

Why would this put an end to this? Are you guys being tonge in cheek and I don't get it? Sorry if this is a dumb question. 

Cause that would explain the mysterious algorithm. 

13 minutes ago, ryanf23 said:

It’s simple to figure out if ot is an algorithm… everyone in the forum start searching something stupid like “bear and bird” and see if after enough people search, they start to get gnr results. By most opinions, you should start seeing it. 

Someone's pointed out that the service has millions of users and a few forum nutters shouldn't be able to affect the algorithm this quick / this much (or at all). 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Someone's pointed out that the service has millions of users and a few forum nutters shouldn't be able to affect the algorithm this quick / this much (or at all). 

That makes sense. Hope it’s right because I have my hopes up now for these songs lol

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Never underestimate the MYGNR forum nutters 🤣

• Like 2

I searched for "red panda", "bitter adult" and "bitter adult of mine," then for "guns n roses" after each search, and then "red panda guns n roses" and so on. So let's all start doing this and see what happens :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure this is nonsense so don't anyone jump down my throat or anything but I found this on reddit posted 11 months ago.

i4hau6dvihu71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

BS i assume, especially the tracklist, however the date is next Friday which seems like it could link up (if there is anything to the spotify thing)

The comments mentioned this came from here on Mygnr but despite people asking it wasn't mentioned who posted it originally.

Who posted this originally?

What was there reason for picking next Friday as a release date for new music?

Edited by Guest