The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 minutes ago, Axl S said:

People are suggesting BoD turning up in results means that these results are just "the algorithm" and it's just users searching for stuff or their playlists. I'm suggesting maybe it's appearing because it's on an official Guns N' Roses release.

Same with Wichita. GN'R published a live performance of that on YouTube. Hell, their listed as a performer for it on ASCAP. Those associations make sense.

These unreleased and never performed tracks don't make anywhere near as much sense.

So are you saying that GnR has uploaded Ballad of Death on Spotify or are you saying that the algorithm is associating GNR with Ballad of Death because of these associations that you mentioned? 

5 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Irony, sarcasm….

Doesn't seem to be

Yeah I was being sarcastic about there being no logical reason for BoD to be associated with GN'R besides "magic algorithm". There is a reasonable explanation, the artist was their guitarist for 5 years and this particular track was on a GN'R release. 

I would expect some of Spotify's associated metadata for artists is pulled from record industry systems. Ballad of Death is listed on ASCAP with some of the publishing rights belonging to a subsidiary of Warner Music Group. A large record label whose systems I expect Spotify do interface with in some way. It's also performed on an official GN'R release, released by UMG. It's association with GN'R in search results makes some sense.

Why Bumblefoot's songs don't get results? No clue. Why these unreleased clues, get results? Couldn't say definitively. Spotify associating the metadata for GN'R with some related tracks and search terms for artists related to them or for songs they've been mistaken for before.... i can see why that happens.

For completely never released, never published, some never leaked songs. I can't see how that happens.

Folk keep trying to experiment with other artists unreleased tracks or related GN'R artists tracks. Instead try experimenting with random words and phrases, see if anything turns up in results that makes no logical sense. That would be a better test.

I am typing in random shit just now: "electric soda can", "walrus fucking", "love bastard", "engaged", "fried salad", "fearless", "central park". All the results that show... make sense. No random big name artists that their "algorithm" has built an association with.

So why does it associate GN'R strongly with basic words like "thyme" and "perhaps" without some related entry in their system for that?

Edited by Axl S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Idk about a new album but some new live cut of Mama Kin from back in the day just got included on some various artists album, it seems:

yeah I just found this right now. Anyone know where it's from or what the context is?

also, it looks like Heaven's Door was added to the playlist: 

Edited by Chris 55
more info
  • Wow 1

41 minutes ago, Axl S said:

Truly impossible to imagine how this recording on an audio and video product released by UMG that, will include a writing credit for Mr Ashba and a performing credit for Guns N' Roses could ever lead to this track being associated with Guns N' Roses. It must be an ambiguous algorithm.

I forgot how truly terrible this is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

yeah I just found this right now. Anyone know where it's from or what the context is?

Don’t think we’ve ever heard that KOHD before either. I would think it’s just a bootleg but it sounds too high-quality for that.

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Idk about a new album but some new live cut of Mama Kin from back in the day just got included on some various artists album, it seems:

9 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

It looks like another bootleg release.

• Sad 1

Just now, Chris 55 said:

It gives off that cheap vibe but both tracks are from the official channels and sound really good. Heaven's Door ends in a fight. 

There are also bootlegs appearing in the official channel. Youtube auto-generates playlists from releases by bootleg labels and puts them on the Guns N' Roses "topic", so they appear in the band's channel.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Funnily enough - It started with a kiss was on the radio at the weekend. Any time I hear it I think of I’m Alan Partridge as he sings it at the end of an episode. Good singer was Errol Brown.

You don't remember me, do you?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Ah, so you're just calling a normal algorithm a "magic algorithm". I see!

I think what he is trying to say that it makes sense that Ballad of Death is being associated with GNR because it was released oficially by the band, it's composed by DJ and performed by GNR, so having both GNR and DJ Ashba as suggestions make total sense. That's exactly how algorithms are supposed to work.

What doesn't make sense is having GNR being suggested on obscure random demo names like Thyme, Soul Monster, Perhaps, etc. It's very hard to find a reason why the algorhitm would make that suggestion without having it registered somewhere.

To add fuel to the fire, I've now bumped into the community section of GnR youtube channel (kinda like a facebook/twitter/instagram timeline, with much less users). They used another picture for the recente "what should we add" post:
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx_P-Z136GYCxGg-ICvFSn_wFBMA7Rm9wk

Their goal could still be to boost engagement, but not in the obvious way of hiding a popular song so people can "guess" is

1 minute ago, Manfisman said:

I think what he is trying to say that it makes sense that Ballad of Death is being associated with GNR because it was released oficially by the band, it's composed by DJ and performed by GNR, so having both GNR and DJ Ashba as suggestions make total sense. That's exactly how algorithms are supposed to work.

What doesn't make sense is having GNR being suggested on obscure random demo names like Thyme, Soul Monster, Perhaps, etc. It's very hard to find a reason why the algorhitm would make that suggestion without having it registered somewhere.

This ^.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

it's still seems odd that this would also work for songs that are not in the database.

I think this is the easiest conclusion we can draw, that "all of this was very odd" :mellow:

(For me, Ballad of Death is in a similar category as Wichita or Back in Black)

Edited by metalavenger99
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Axl S said:

Truly impossible to imagine how this recording on an audio and video product released by UMG that, will include a writing credit for Mr Ashba and a performing credit for Guns N' Roses could ever lead to this track being associated with Guns N' Roses. It must be an ambiguous algorithm.

What a fucking douchebag entrance.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Manfisman said:

But algorithms learn from what people search for too. That's how normal algorithms work. It's complicated but there's nothing magical about it.

People have been searching for these songs for three years now. During that time the algorithm has had time to make some connections between the listening habits of all these people who search for stuff like The General, Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace. And when all of a sudden all hardcore GNR fans start searching for these songs at the same time, I just don't see how it's so implausible that stuff like this would happen.

And we don't even know exactly how the algorithm works. It's entirely possible that the demos that GNR fans have in their GNR playlists as local files could affect the algorithm in some ways as well.

There's so many associations that these algorithms use, but just because it's complicated and difficult to understand doesn't mean that it's magic.

It's just weird to me that Ballad of Death just confirmed that these are not songs that are about to be released, but people still can't accept that the algorithm is doing this.

• Like 1