Sympathy for the Devil

As the last Guns n' Roses release for about 6 years (and for the general public 14 years), I can understand why someone would see it as a let-down. As a toss off track for a movie soundtrack, it works fine to me. Axl sounds spirited and (unpopular opinion) I actually like the guitar "call and response" between Slash and Paul Tobias. That being said, it's not a track I actively seek out. I only heard/hear it when I used to listen to the Greatest Hits album, or when it pops up on Pandora. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

It's amazing the amount of material this new "Axle" fan seems to still be hearing for the first time.

Its not amazing its normal when one comes across something new.  You come across one song and then little by little (depending on time) you come across other stuff and with this band a bucket full of history to plough through (I am a historian so this adds to my fondness of research).  Its then interesting to find out what others think.

Interesting you describe me as an axl fan as opposed to Guns n Roses, I shall have to think about this.

Your right I did add an e, thats because I was using plural rather than singular and confusion reighned:blink:

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Its not amazing its normal when one comes across something new.  You come across one song and then little by little (depending on time) you come across other stuff and with this band a bucket full of history to plough through (I am a historian so this adds to my fondness of research).  Its then interesting to find out what others think.

Interesting you describe me as an axl fan as opposed to Guns n Roses, I shall have to think about this.

Your right I did add an e, thats because I was using plural rather than singular and confusion reighned:blink:

A bucket full of history? The band has 4 1/2 albums of studio material, then two songs that were on soundtracks but not on albums. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Have a read of SoulMonster's and Black Star's excellent history of the band...there is a LOT of stuff I assure you.  Oh and the music, I havent listened to lies, spaghetti and some tracks like 'aint it fun'...believe me lots to listen to and read  yet,  and I am enjoying it:axl92::axl::slash:

:lol: I assume / hope you're just trolling now. 

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

A band on its last legs and a fairly pointless cover of a Stones classic. It's not something I ever revisit from the Guns catalogue, really.

Find it bizarre that it's on the Greatest Hits.

I actually really like their version.  Axl sounds great.  They were "on their last legs" because they were drugged out idiots

42 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Have a read of SoulMonster's and Black Star's excellent history of the band...there is a LOT of stuff I assure you.  Oh and the music, I havent listened to lies, spaghetti and some tracks like 'aint it fun'...believe me lots to listen to and read  yet,  and I am enjoying it:axl92::axl::slash:

How on earth have you not listened to two of their 4/5 albums?!?! 

Not wanting to appear harsh here, it just boggles my mind that someone would be posting on a fan forum of a band with SUCH a small back catalogue and not even listened once to the albums! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I apologise iff this has already been discussed...ignore me if it  has;)

I have just listened to Sympathy for the Devil and feel excited about it, I love it!  It is just so great to hear Axle's voice from way back when (1996 I think) singing something 'new' (it is for me) and wow what a voice with such energy and then the electricity of Slash's guitar playing.  It must have been amazing to have been around back then and seeing them in concert.  

Did you hear this single in 1990s and if so did you like it?  Also did you know Guns was splitting up at the time or were you expecting to see them again?

It is also on GNR greatest hits too.

Love the GNR version. Did hear it first when I saw Interview with a Vampire. Was excited to hear GNR. Love the Stones version too. The Stones had so many problems singing this song in the beginning and didn't perform it for a while.

Anyway, love the GNR version. GNR rocks every cover they've ever done.

The really 'evil' tone that Axl musters for the line ".. And lay your soul to waste" kinda seems like foreshadowing in a way. This lead into the OMG and Silk Worms era. That 2001 intro video with the whole "I like rat poop. I like soiled undies. I like earthworms" or whatever it said :lol:

Like demon era Guns. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

How on earth have you not listened to two of their 4/5 albums?!?! 

Not wanting to appear harsh here, it just boggles my mind that someone would be posting on a fan forum of a band with SUCH a small back catalogue and not even listened once to the albums! 

Yep its true...hey no need to get cross with me...I am taking my time amongst the other other stuff I do in my life.

To Russ...no I am not a Troll we obviously just disagree on some things, thats all. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Yep its true...hey no need to get cross with me...I am taking my time amongst the other other stuff I do in my life.

To Russ...no I am not a Troll we obviously just disagree on some things, thats all. 

Im glad you found Guns. And that you are working through the catalogue at a pace that allows you to read up and start discussions about what you are currently discovering, is an approach that makes sense to me. Im like that with Star Wars.

That said, I would really suggest consuming the UYIs in proper album form, if you havent already. Maybe you have! :headbang:

I can’t enjoy it because of how much Slash hates it and hates Paul!

In my head I hear Huge’s distant little guitar parts I just imagine Slash looking around pissed off... “the fuck is that?!”... and Huge is hiding behind some boxes or something... sucks 🙂

Edited by Ant

10 hours ago, Original said:

That song was the 'sound of a band breaking up'.

“If you’ve ever wondered what the sound of a band breaking up sounds like,” Slash wrote, “listen to Guns N’ Roses’ cover of ‘Sympathy for the Devil.’ If there is one Guns track I’d like to never hear again, it’s that one.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/flashback-guns-n-roses-cover-sympathy-for-the-devil-99403/

Well it sounded pretty good to me. :lol: