Sympathy for the Devil

Bought it in 95 I think on cassette tape when it first came out. Was expected to be the catalyst to get them moving again and their were countless snippets already in magazines about them starting to work on a new album. Was a pretty underwhelming and meh track I thought from the off. Certainly a low point of their recording careers bar a few UYI and TSI turkeys... 

Edited by jimmythegent

12 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I apologise iff this has already been discussed...ignore me if it  has;)

I have just listened to Sympathy for the Devil and feel excited about it, I love it!  It is just so great to hear Axle's voice from way back when (1996 I think) singing something 'new' (it is for me) and wow what a voice with such energy and then the electricity of Slash's guitar playing.  It must have been amazing to have been around back then and seeing them in concert.  

Did you hear this single in 1990s and if so did you like it?  Also did you know Guns was splitting up at the time or were you expecting to see them again?

I did like axls voice and thought this was the vehicle for working on a new album, so was extremely hopeful for new music. Little did we know....

The backup vocals during the "ohh oh" sound cringy, and think maybe they should have done something different. Maybe tracey and roberta....

8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I don't think Estranged charted though in UK or US, so isn't a "hit" in the context of a greatest hits album. And I imagine the length also dissuaded it's inclusion even if it did qualify.

You can certainly argue whether it can be classed as a hit but it's an abomination that the band's Magnum Opus isn't included, yet 'Ain't It Fun' and 'Sympathy' are. Although both were singles, or 'hits', they add very little to GN'R's legacy.

22 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

You can certainly argue whether it can be classed as a hit but it's an abomination that the band's Magnum Opus isn't included, yet 'Ain't It Fun' and 'Sympathy' are. Although both were singles, or 'hits', they add very little to GN'R's legacy.

Agree with this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Sympathy and Ain't it fun were certainly not hits in any way. Estranged was all over MTV. And it's not another cover version.

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Agree with this.

Bingo - I’ve said this before....no GNR collection/compilation should ever, EVER, be without Estranged.

Whats defined as a hit anyways - there is no absolute criteria so the fact that Estranged was a single and hot airplay......get it included!!!!!

17 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

It's very weird that Estranged wasn't a single in the US or UK. Especially considering they made the outrageously expensive video for it.

For some reason it was only released in Europe and Australia / NZ.

It's a lengthy, complex song. Probably more so than November Rain, but I like both.

On 19.8.2020 at 10:35 AM, DurhamGirl said:

I didnt realise Paul Tobias played on it...that must have been difficult for Slash.

I don't know if "difficult" is the right word... that situation was probably the coffin nail, the very end, for guns, as they used to be...

There was a post on Reddit a year ago from an account called u/ghostwhoknows 

The gentleman with Axl in this video is Dave Lank, truly Axl's oldest friend. Dave, Paul and Axl all grew up together in Lafayette.
Fun fact - Paul Tobias was present when Slash auditioned for GNR. Paul said that Slash was the guy and Axl agreed. There is so much more to the Paul, Axl, Slash story that you all will never know. So much speculation that the truth would settle once and for all. But truth is also silencing so you all wouldn't have anything to talk about. 

Dave Lank is a genius writer. Paul is extremely talented as well. They teamed up once before. Hopefully they will again sometime in the future.

I’m not Dave. I just know. I have facts

It was the account’s only post! A little... mysterious 🧐

6 minutes ago, Ant said:

There was a post on Reddit a year ago from an account called u/ghostwhoknows 

The gentleman with Axl in this video is Dave Lank, truly Axl's oldest friend. Dave, Paul and Axl all grew up together in Lafayette.
Fun fact - Paul Tobias was present when Slash auditioned for GNR. Paul said that Slash was the guy and Axl agreed. There is so much more to the Paul, Axl, Slash story that you all will never know. So much speculation that the truth would settle once and for all. But truth is also silencing so you all wouldn't have anything to talk about. 

Dave Lank is a genius writer. Paul is extremely talented as well. They teamed up once before. Hopefully they will again sometime in the future.

I’m not Dave. I just know. I have facts

It was the account’s only post! A little... mysterious 🧐

😁 fernandont's early attempt to communicate with fans... or AXL himself. 😂 Reminds me to  "i know whats goin on, i know the internet!" 

On 18.8.2020 at 11:39 PM, DurhamGirl said:

Yep its true...hey no need to get cross with me...I am taking my time amongst the other other stuff I do in my life.

To Russ...no I am not a Troll we obviously just disagree on some things, thats all. 

Huh. You are a "new" fan, but joined 8 months ago, with 360 Posts already, but have not managed to listen to 6 albums, which are all just a click away?

As for the question, yes, I bought the single, as it was the first "new" song in what seemed ages (and I don't think I new the Stones Version) at the time. It was alright, I guess. Didn't set my world on fire. And no, I wasn't aware the band was breaking up at the time.

Edited by PatrickS77

8 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Huh. You are a "new" fan, but joined 8 months ago, with 360 Posts already, but have not managed to listen to 6 albums, which are all just a click away?

Not everyone listens to new artists/music the same way. Got into them back in 2016 and listened to Appetite alone for the first three months I'd say and then ventured out from there. Didn't listen to CD for 1/2 years after I'd already considered GNR my favorite artist.

Doing the same thing with Marilyn Manson atm actually, really got into them and been listening since March but still haven't listen to at least 4/5 of the albums(although a bit different situation when he actually consistently releases music, and I've read that those albums aren't great).

On 19.8.2020 at 9:20 AM, ToonGuns said:

I don't think Estranged charted though in UK or US, so isn't a "hit" in the context of a greatest hits album. And I imagine the length also dissuaded it's inclusion even if it did qualify.

Who cares if it didn't chart in the UK/US? It had a video and it was competing for the top spot on Dial MTV for weeks/months. So yes, it was a hit. But you might have a point with the length of the song. It has the length of 2 regular songs.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 minutes ago, registra said:

Not everyone listens to new artists/music the same way. Got into them back in 2016 and listened to Appetite alone for the first three months I'd say and then ventured out from there. Didn't listen to CD for 1/2 years after I'd already considered GNR my favorite artist.

Doing the same thing with Marilyn Manson atm actually, really got into them and been listening since March but still haven't listen to at least 4/5 of the albums(although a bit different situation when he actually consistently releases music, and I've read that those albums aren't great).

Doesn't make much sense, especially in this day and age, when you don't even have to leave the house (or pay) to listen to "new" music, but it's a reality, I guess.

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Who cares if it didn't chart in the UK/US? It had a video and it was competing for the top spot on Dial MTV for weeks/months. So yes, it was a hit. But you might have a point with the length of the song. It has the length of 2 regular songs.

I don't disagree with you. Just trying to surmise reasons as to why it might be excluded. I'm pretty sure there are (or were) rules around greatest hits. If it were a Best Of as opposed to a Greatest Hits I'm sure it would be included. In general (not just Guns) I never buy Greatest Hits as I typically prefer album tracks / non-singles anyway - they give a much better overview about the band in question. Locomotive, Breakdown, Coma, Rocket Queen etc in this case.

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I don't disagree with you. Just trying to surmise reasons as to why it might be excluded. I'm pretty sure there are (or were) rules around greatest hits. If it were a Best Of as opposed to a Greatest Hits I'm sure it would be included. In general (not just Guns) I never buy Greatest Hits as I typically prefer album tracks / non-singles anyway - they give a much better overview about the band in question. Locomotive, Breakdown, Coma, Rocket Queen etc in this case.

8 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Yeah. Greatest Hits albums usually are boring with overplayed songs. The meat of an artist is missing, so to say. Especially, when it's just a single disc.