Sympathy for the Devil

I apologise iff this has already been discussed...ignore me if it  has;)

I have just listened to Sympathy for the Devil and feel excited about it, I love it!  It is just so great to hear Axle's voice from way back when (1996 I think) singing something 'new' (it is for me) and wow what a voice with such energy and then the electricity of Slash's guitar playing.  It must have been amazing to have been around back then and seeing them in concert.  

Did you hear this single in 1990s and if so did you like it?  Also did you know Guns was splitting up at the time or were you expecting to see them again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Did you hear this single in 1990s and if so did you like it?  Also did you know Guns was splitting up at the time or were you expecting to see them again?

Yeah, I remember I read on a magazine article about the movie that the song was there, so I surely watched the movie the day it got released. Felt pretty excited and thought that would be indication of a soon to be released new album. lol

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I have just listened to Sympathy for the Devil and feel excited about it, I love it!  It is just so great to hear Axle's voice from way back when (1996 I think) singing something 'new' (it is for me) and wow what a voice with such energy and then the electricity of Slash's guitar playing.  It must have been amazing to have been around back then and seeing them in concert.  

First single I ever bought - 1994 I think. At that time I’d guess most folk didn’t know what was going to happen - no internet!!

• Like 1

That song was the 'sound of a band breaking up'.

“If you’ve ever wondered what the sound of a band breaking up sounds like,” Slash wrote, “listen to Guns N’ Roses’ cover of ‘Sympathy for the Devil.’ If there is one Guns track I’d like to never hear again, it’s that one.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/flashback-guns-n-roses-cover-sympathy-for-the-devil-99403/

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

You might like this info:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4924-02-global-index

• Thanks 1

It totally passed me by at the time. No internet of course, and there was seemingly little attention or hype to it. It was like the band were done and people had moved on. I don't think I even owned a copy of it until 1999. 

I'd say by the time this came out GNR were becoming quite an embarrassing thing to a lot of people. The music world was moving on, and they suddenly seemed left-behind and deeply uncool as other bands took over. Music fans would laugh at you by this point if you said you liked them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It totally passed me by at the time. No internet of course, and there was seemingly little attention or hype to it. It was like the band were done and people had moved on. I don't think I even owned a copy of it until 1999. 

I'd say by the time this came out GNR were becoming quite an embarrassing thing to a lot of people. The music world was moving on, and they suddenly seemed left-behind and deeply uncool as other bands took over. Music fans would laugh at you by this point if you said you liked them. 

Yeah - I was pretty uncool for liking GNR as opposed to the grunge bands....specifically Nirvana .

I remember getting into an argument with someone at school about music styles that stemmed from t-shirts...I had a GNR one and someone in my class had a ‘Rezurrection’ one (Rave/Dance thing).....that argument ran and ran for ages....😂. 

Edited by DTJ80
  • Haha 1

Publicly, Guns were clearly a band in transition. One of the main songwriters had left, grunge was huge with hard rock fading from the spotlight, and they had already release a covers album that didn't exactly light the world on fire. Personally, I think their take on STFD is pretty weak compared to what they did with LALD or KOHD. They really made those songs their own. 

Like others said, it was a bit of a let down because it was yet ANOTHER cover following Spaghetti. You could tell there was something wrong. Bought the CD single, there wasn't even a second Guns song on it, just something from the score.

As for the cover itself, I think it's ok. They pretty much play it just like the Stones so it's a bit pointless. And, the sinister vibe of Mick's performance is totally absent which makes the Stones version so much better, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I bought the single when it came out. Loved the song. Still do.

Yeah me too. It was nice when it came out at the time with it being approx 7 min. More GNR to listen to! :)

I remember the B-side listing as "Escape to Paris" and thought it was another GNR song-until I heard it:)

• Like 3

Its a while since I heard the Stones version shall have a listen.  Gosh it sounds as if things were going terribly wrong for the guns then not just 'musical differences'.  How sad they had become a 'joke' did they know this do you think?  And yet thousands of fans world wide are still  in existence and 'new' fans like myself (due to finding their old stuff on the web as nothing new) keep popping up.  Some interesting pyschology here but obviously great music.

I really like the vocal breakdown with Axl whisper-singing "All cops are criminals and all the sinners, saints..." part. Its the So Fine ad lib voice out to much better use. At that point I fully believe Axl is inhabiting the song and makes it his own - its perfect for him on every level.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

You are totally right, the music world had passed GNR by at that time.  I remember buying it on CD at a store called The Wall which was a chain in the Northeast United States.  There was no hype around it.  In hindsight it was really weird that they had just released a covers album the year before and then they released a one-off single that was also a cover.  I remember listening to it and just feeling like "oh... that's it?".  I didn't know at the time how much turmoil was swirling around the band.  I will always say I'd prefer to have something rather than nothing I feel like that single did more damage to the perception of the band at that time than it did good.   I know the movie asked for it specifically, but they really should have either released a b-side original track (Ain't Going Down was on the pinball machine, why not include that?) with it or just insisted on providing the movie with an original song.  

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I was pretty uncool for liking GNR as opposed to the grunge bands....specifically Nirvana .

I remember getting into an argument with someone at school about music styles that stemmed from t-shirts...I had a GNR one and someone in my class had a ‘Rezurrection’ one (Rave/Dance thing).....that argument ran and ran for ages....😂. 

Fantazia rave tapes in a massive box! Those were the days! 

Yep, GNR went from being cool to utterly uncool.....I kept up my liking of course, but kept a little quieter about it! Not that we heard anything again anyway until 2001. 

39 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

You are totally right, the music world had passed GNR by at that time.  I remember buying it on CD at a store called The Wall which was a chain in the Northeast United States.  There was no hype around it.  In hindsight it was really weird that they had just released a covers album the year before and then they released a one-off single that was also a cover.  I remember listening to it and just feeling like "oh... that's it?".  I didn't know at the time how much turmoil was swirling around the band.  I will always say I'd prefer to have something rather than nothing I feel like that single did more damage to the perception of the band at that time than it did good.   I know the movie asked for it specifically, but they really should have either released a b-side original track (Ain't Going Down was on the pinball machine, why not include that?) with it or just insisted on providing the movie with an original song.  

Definitely. It was just a weird time. Felt like a last gasp before.....years and years of nothing. Without the internet it was just like they'd vanished and you know what? No-one seemed to miss them.