Sweet child- first time ever played leaked

Hopefully this means we will get Aint Goin Down from the same gig too.

SCOM sounds pretty good, but are we sure it's the very first time they played it in front of a live audience? Setlist.com has the first premiere at Music Machine a few months earlier (March 1986), but also mentions Whiskey being the first (even though it qas at August). Anyone know for sure?

9 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

I don't know how to find it.

look on TouYube. Type Swwet Child O ' Mine and sort by upload time. Alot of covers but you will find it by sort by uploadtime

Aint going down at whisky is already on TouYube

Edited by t-p-d-a

About the “where did we go now” part. I remember reading in Slash’s book that it was added later on. Maybe during recording, I can’t remember. I love slash but it seems like he doesn’t get all the facts right. I don’t know if that is intentional or not, but it’s kind of hard to know what’s true and what isn’t true.  I remember Axl talking about his meeting with Slash in 2015 and one of the first things they addressed was his book. Axl said that so much of what was in the book never happened.

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

About the “where did we go now” part. I remember reading in Slash’s book that it was added later on. Maybe during recording, I can’t remember. I love slash but it seems like he doesn’t get all the facts right. I don’t know if that is intentional or not, but it’s kind of hard to know what’s true and what isn’t true.  I remember Axl talking about his meeting with Slash in 2015 and one of the first things they addressed was his book. Axl said that so much of what was in the book never happened.

He was high as a kite 100% of the time. I’m gonna go ahead and say he definitely doesn’t remember all of his facts from the band’s early days. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Birdman said:

Where/when did Axl say that? 

But yeah I chalked up a good chunk of Slash's book as lies. I remember he talked about St. Louis in it, said after Axl walked off they kept playing the riff for a while, all the while he was conversing with a tech or something asking where Axl went and if he was coming back (I'm paraphrasing, I haven't read that book in a good 10 years). But like, it's on YouTube. That didn't happen lol. 

From memory they said the ‘where do we go part came about in the studio’. They didn’t say when recording Appetite. I had always assumed it was when they were recording the demo of it at Spence Proffers studio. (Ie didn’t have that part when first written/rehearsed but the demo recorded before it was played live, so the part was already there for the first live performance)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Euchre said:

From memory they said the ‘where do we go part came about in the studio’. They didn’t say when recording Appetite. I had always assumed it was when they were recording the demo of it at Spence Proffers studio. (Ie didn’t have that part when first written/rehearsed but the demo recorded before it was played live, so the part was already there for the first live performance)

Yes, according to Slash's book the part came about when they were recording with Spencer Proffer at Pasha Studios:

Slash: At our next session, we worked our new song into a complete movement: we wrote a bridge, added a guitar solo, and so it became 'Sweet Child O' Mine.' (...) Spencer [Proffer, a producer] was a great guy; he was actually the one who suggested that the song needed a dramatic breakdown before its ultimate finale. He was right...but we had no idea what we wanted to do there. All of us sat around the control room, listening to it over and over, devoid of a clue. "Where do we go?" Axl said, more to himself than the rest of us. "Where do we go now?...Where do we go?" "Hey," Spencer said, turning the music down. "Why don't you just try singing that?" And so became that dramatic breakdown [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 155-156]

https://www.a-4-d.com/t80-sweet-child-o-mine

The part is there in the Pasha SCOM demo. It's not completely clear when exactly the Pasha sessions took place, but it was more likely in August 1986, which aligns with the date it was debuted live. Now, whether "Where do we go" came about in the way Slash says, who knows...

On 12/30/2020 at 4:59 PM, t-p-d-a said:

look on TouYube. Type Swwet Child O ' Mine and sort by upload time. Alot of covers but you will find it by sort by uploadtime

Aint going down at whisky is already on TouYube

Uploader has some great pictures and uploads in his batch. 4th GN'R's rehearsal with Rob Gardner and Tracii Guns seems interesting - has this been around before?