General Chat / Random Musings - 2021

downzy

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

Why?  Too much consumption or other health issues?

I have been off and on treatment for major depression and anxiety since I was sixteen. 

Doctor was a straight shooter. Either take the meds, quit drinking and have a decent chance of normalcy, or keep drinking and stay miserable. 

My current doctor doesn't know this, but I've had alcohol related health issues in the past. This isn't the first time I was told to quit. But it was the first time a doctor was so rudely blunt about it. 

On 2/14/2021 at 12:43 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Snow has come to Texas!  So damn happy!

got my food and water and staying inside today. The roads are a mess so can't go very far. Texas doesn't have enough sand trucks to do the whole city, so it's best to stay inside.

It does looks so pretty!

This post didn't age well!  :rofl-lol:

How did you make out during the blackouts?

• Haha 1

OK this is more of a rant than anything else. I work at a nursing home as a housekeeper. I won't mention the name of the home because of HIPPA. What pisses me off more than anything is the general lack of regard some of the RN's and CNA's have towards our residents (ie patients)

If you are going to go into a medical profession of any sorts, you should have empathy towards people who you swore to take care of. Don't bitch, moan and complain about people who are dependent on you. Don't be mean, aggressive, and talk shit about them behind their backs.

An example. There is a patient up there who I'm very fond of, like a mother figure. The woman came down with COVID and was away in a hospital for over 2 weeks. When she came back, I so wanted to give her a hug but I'm not allowed to touch any patients. The day she came back I told her I missed her she said she missed me too. I get goofy around her just so I can make her laugh too.

Fast forward just one day. We had terrible ice storms here in VA. So I volunteered to stay just in case nobody else from housekeeping could make it. That night I was talking to the 2nd shift nurses and told them how happy I was that she had returned and they looked at me like I was crazy. I asked why? "She's a pain because she rings her call bell" and was calling her a big bed ridden buffalo butt. Yeah she deserves that type of treatment because the poor woman wants some water and tissues. I got pissed about that but since my department is subcontracted I'd get in trouble if I said anything or reported them.

These triffling ass workers get the chance to leave. These residents don't have a choice. So my thing is if you hate the job that much that much, then find another profession and go the fuck on home. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to stay.

OK, now let me put my soapbox away.

• Like 4

On 2/28/2021 at 9:59 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Hopefully I never have to put my mum or stepdad in a nursing home but if I do I hope their carers are good honourable folks like yourself. The coworkers you're describing sound like horrible anti-social personalities tbh.

I wouldn't put any of my loved ones in that place I'm at. I don't think they're anti-social because I see most of them at the different nurses station just flapping their gums. There's been a few times I've been by myself in my hall cleaning rooms and hearing my residents yell out "Help I'm sliding out of my chair" and had to do the homebase baseball slide and catch them before they fall and hurt themselves. That's how I found out about the "don't touch the patients" rule. But I mean what was I supposed to do? Let them fall and crack their heads open or something?

• Like 2

Most doctors and health departments as well as parents, teachers and service workers still want to wear masks and continue to do what the CDC says despite what the moron Gov. Abbott says.

CNN's Anderson Cooper talked to Beto last night and this is what he said:

More people will get the virus

More people will be hospitalized

More people will die!

I said this a long time again and here we go again. it feels like the beginning of the virus again when no one knew what to do. it's a shame that money has to come before people's lives.

There are so many Texans who haven't gotten one vaccine yet and many mayors want to have health workers go door to door to make sure everyone gets vaccinated and Abbott decides it's time to open Texas.

Texas has over 45,000 deaths so far and many patients are still sick in the ICU's.  In two weeks it'll be spring break here in Texas. Here we go agian.

Anyway, stay safe and wear a damn mask.

16 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

100% agree and good for you for not following along with the arseholes I've seen that happen and you end up with really bad place for residents. 

When I was in university I worked as a domiciled carer going from home to home working with people with learning difficulties, mobility issues etc and some calls would have to be double with another carer as it involved transferring from wheelchair to bed etc. This one prick I was supposed to be meeting at this old guys house at 10pm to get him from chair to bed kept trying to pressure me to go earlier so we could rush him into bed and finish work earlier. I said no and turned up at the proper time of 10pm to find the guy had got there earlier, carried him from wheelchair to bed and fucked off home. Leaving this guy all over the place, not changed his catheter and gave him no choice about what time to go to sleep. He had his routine where he'd watch his tv, have a drink then go to bed but this guy literally just dragged him into bed and fucked all that off.

I reported him anyway and he got fired. He kept sending me weird texts after that trying to be intimidating so I cut that nonsense out and just text him back my address and never heard from the wanker again.

Well in my situation, reporting them would have done me no good since housekeeping is subcontracted out. I work at the home but I'm not an actual employee of the home. That place is skitzo. That place likes to bite my balls off and spit them in my face. I don't if it is because I'm a man or because I'm a male housekeeper. I'd rather it be because my residents like me a lot and talk to them like, ya know, regular human beings. There is one named Lottie who is way into country music. She doesn't like how they refer to her by her last name so I call her LottieDottie (ladi dadi we like to party) and I gave her a few of my old CD-R's with country in it. She really dug it alot

What your talking about sounds like, what they call, PCA work, in the states. Basically it's just another name for home health care. I'm with you in hating how people just fuck off to save themselves the time. Just because a patient has some sort of condition or affliction does not make them less than. I know when I tried become a CNA (which I didn't pass the course) it was to help these type of folks. Sometimes I wonder if working in the health care field just leaves people demoralized after awhile?  I know it's not an easy job but that's what these shit heads signed up for. I know it ain't big bucks but come on. Nobody has to be forced to stay at any job or any profession. I mean for fuck's sake, the community college is right next door to the home. Take a course, pass it, and then leave. It's as simple as that.

I know I'm not as high on the totem pole as an actual health provider but when I hear my residents say "You make my room look and smell good to were it doesn't smell like shit" then I feel validated on some level.

Edited by Jabberwocky

On 2/20/2021 at 4:16 AM, arnold layne said:

I have been off and on treatment for major depression and anxiety since I was sixteen. 

Doctor was a straight shooter. Either take the meds, quit drinking and have a decent chance of normalcy, or keep drinking and stay miserable. 

My current doctor doesn't know this, but I've had alcohol related health issues in the past. This isn't the first time I was told to quit. But it was the first time a doctor was so rudely blunt about it. 

You could try and ease out, having a little less everyday until you don't need it anymore. Cold turkey probably isn't an option when you are basically self medicating to make depression and anxiety somewhat more bareable without the side effects of usual medication. However, both ways to quit require a lot of strength and discipline.

Have you tried other ways to to ease your soul - like changing your diet, connecting with nature, animals, walking the dog, riding a horse, working on a farm, working out, playing an instrument, writing a poem or a novel, making love all night long...whatever rocks your boat other than just numbing out the pain with whatever substance? You are basically just treating one devil (depression) with another (alcohol) and you end up with two devils in the end and get another one (addiction) on top of that.

I don't know what caused your depression, if it's chemical I'd say rather change your diet before taking any drugs, if it's a trauma you need to look at the process of transformation as it might never go away but the times of stability and no breakdowns become longer than those with and you will be in control again. Remember your mind controls everything, even though it might often seem the other way around.

Hard to find good people these days but if you have any open up and ask if you might call em or come over for a cup of coffee in case of mental emergency. The thing is all substances they just alter a state more that is already altered but they dont put you back to "normal", whatever your personal normal is or should be. Pills, alcohol, weed...all these might stop the door from creaking but they dont fix the hinges.

But then again who am I to talk...I'm treating my own depression and suicidal thoughts with loads of weed for years now. I bet I could smoke everyone here under the fucking table and it's nothing I'm proud of, just saying this is how much pain I'm trying to kill. I don't even get high anymore no matrer how much I smoke and whenever I take a tolerance break it seems like I can't function without that crutch. But I know it's just that, a crutch. I'm just too unmotivated, weak, exhausted and lonely to keep going without.

Edited by adamsapple
  • GNFNR 1

What a cute story! one of our local anchor news women was on the street talking about the horrible winter storm week and a kitty cat come by her and was rubbing herself against the woman's legs. She is a tortist shell cat. Anyway, poor thing was cold and they took her to a shelter. She has since gotten her forever home and family. What a great story! Made me smile. It shows there is some good left in the world.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The snow is melting, and it's only March!

We had our big thaw last week, which is typical for this time of year.  Last year it snowed on and off until May, which is not typical.  

13 minutes ago, downzy said:

We had our big thaw last week, which is typical for this time of year.  Last year it snowed on and off until May, which is not typical.  

On and off until May is very typical for where I live.

I seriously want to move south, but can't really with the kids being so immersed in this place with friends and activities. Too selfish. Will have to wait until they move out.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

On and off until May is very typical for where I live.

I seriously want to move south, but can't really with the kids being so immersed in this place with friends and activities. Too selfish. Will have to wait until they move out.

Moving isn't an option here either; and I'm having a hard time seeing my kid ever moving out with the way house prices are going.

We bought our house a year and a half ago and prices are already up 40-50 percent.  Low interest rates and exodus out of the metropolis to smaller communities (thanks to the pandemic) have turned the housing market around me nuts.  As much as I prefer my property value going up rather than down, I'm not loving how out of reach homes have become.  It will either crash back down or home ownership going forward will be limited to those who benefit from luck, timing, and nepotism.  

The killing in Atlanta are definitely a hate crime. This guy drove past other businesses and went right for the ones owned and run by Asians.

Anyone with common sense can see this.

Now of course all the news stations are talking to Asian Americans and asking how this can be stopped? Can it really be stopped?

I was raised to accept all people no matter what. I have never asked anyone if "they are american" or where are you from if they are speaking another language? Who does this? I guess plenty of people do and it's very wrong and sad.

I think in stead of humans getting better and more caring towards each other it's gotten worse. Just hating someone due to how they look or sound is way out of control. Can we change the way people think? I don't think so.

I was raised to be tolerant towards others and i am raising my child the same way. Unfortunately some people and is't all races not just one, teach hatred instead of compassion and caring. If we don't change, we are doomed.

Wow! All those morons on spring break in Miami rioting because the city had an 8 o"clock curfew to get off the beaches. I mean this are college students and this is how they act? it scares me that not one of them has any common sense at all.

Many were arrested but I'm sure they'll get out and hopefully go home, but they will also bring the virus along with them to pass on to their families and friends. I don't feel sorry for any of them since they obviously don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. Talk aabout stupid and selfish at the same time. 

What a waste of college money! It is very sad to see.

Another shooting in a supermarket in Boulder CO. 10 people dead age 20 to 67. How sad is this? One was a police officer who rushed in and was shot dead. He is a husband and father.

The shooter is in custody and he's from CO and a Muslim. Here we go again. Not sure why but the authorities said they will question him. The DA said he will prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. 

My heart goes out to the families left behind to go through the grief. It seems that's all we do lately is grieve for so many people who have gotten killed for some stupid reason only the killer understands.

Pretty soon anywhere we go there will be guards at the door and maybe metal detectors to make sure we don't have a gun. This will make the prices go up and more expenses on the customers. 

I'm just glad that schools are locked up and you have to talk to the office and state your business before you can be let in and now with covid no one is let into the schools. Your child is brought to the door and you sign them out. This has been the norm since 9/ll and probably will have to be normal forever.

Biden is trying to change gun laws, but who knows if/when it will happen? It seems both parties can't agree on this either.

One of my clients is a popular long-running online forum, comparable to mygnr in many ways. It's part of a lifestyle brand which has a magazine. After twenty years, the magazine is publishing an article on the most dedicated forum members.

All we get is mockery on the other forums! :lol:

Well, I knew the Talk would let Sharon O go after this whole racist accusatons.

First of all Sharon has always spoken her mind and stuck up for her long time friends. Why is it wrong to support a friend even if what they might say might not be acceptable for some people? And after all these years, Sharon is being accused of being racist to other hosts from years ago. Why now? Why not speak up back then?

I guess in this new world only some people are allowed to state their opinion and others can't.

I never liked this show, but do love Sharon for always being honest and speaking her mind. Isn't that what we want in a talk show host?

And what bothers me is why couldn't this show and others privately take care of these issues among the parties who feel this way? Why does it have to be out in public where people always believe the person being called a racist. I don't think it's fair.

If Sharon is a racist, though I doubt it I'm sure other people would come forward and not just the women on the show. Why didn't anyone of these women who have knows Sharon for years support her until the truth comes out. They always said they stick together and support each other. Obviously that's one big lie!

My God one of her best friends has been Elton John forever. What the fuck?

Thank Goodness police caught two other people with guns who wanted to kill more people. 

We can't always stop killings from happening but I commend the police for stopping some of them.

We should talk more about this then how some police commit crimes.