UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

16 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

You'd think the band would post something on their socials about it. Guess Fernando is still busy with Instagram right now 

Oh, I agree. It just is what it is for me though. Sadly, I just assuming a Google search is far more reliable than any official GN'R source. 

52 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Personally I don't think we need to have live versions of Train kept a rollin and Always On The Run instead of Coma, Locomotive, etc (and from a show that most of the target demographic have seen/heard). They could've really dug deep in the archives for this.

I said this earlier, but I think the live tracklists were determined by the quality of their recordings - they'll obviously want the quality to be fairly consistent, which would be harder to do if a lot of their archive sounds like Coma from live era... I'd be more than happy to have Locomotive, Garden Of Eden, etc. In that quality but I can see why they were excluded. It would make the live CDs sound more like a mixtape than a coherent live album.

Hopefully they put out some 'uyi selects' as promo, with rare songs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vloors said:

They should leave original NR on there and include the new one as a bonus. Looking at it it looks like they are replacing the original album version with this updated 2021 one

Original version isn't going anywhere. It's a non issue really.

4 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Original version isn't going anywhere. It's a non issue really.

I just wish NR could have gotten a remaster in its original form that being said, it seems kinda odd to have the new one being the only one included and on the main album sequence. 

The original mix of NR will now be randomly the only one not to get a new tape transfer/mastering/high resolution offering

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, EvH said:

I sadly share the general feeling here that the box set is mostly a missed opportunity.

- I like the inclusion of recently remixed full shows. Tokyo is very average and the mix is horrendous, and don't get me started on Live Era so it's nice to finally get some other shows.
- Ritz 1991 on Blu Ray is very promising - image quality should be stellar, and, provided the mastering is not too compressed, it should sound amazing.

But there are so many puzzling (to say the least) decisions and choices which appear to have been made here...
- The Scrap(p)ed multichannel mix of the main albums : that's what I wanted, first and foremost, from these releases. I'm extremely disappointed.
- Apparently the albums were remastered in high res, but the only way to get the higher quality is with the digital only releases. Too bad the super deluxe edition will not contain a physical format capable of storing and playing high definition content..."okay, nevermind", as Axl once said.
- They include a Blu-Ray, but not the official music videos and their respective making of documentaries? Maybe the band members cringe a bit at the mere thought of the levitating dolphins, but excluding the videos is not in line with the idea of celebrating the album. They were included with the AFD box so it's even weirder...The Estranged video, as overblown as it might be, features some of the best looking shots of this band, at its commercial peak (Munich 1993).
- No bonus studio material, despite the demos, rough mixes, alternate takes and obscure songs which have been in trading circles for decades. Where are the stripped down mixes Slash has been raving about for years?
- It might sound good, but the 2022 remixed November Rain should have been included as a bonus track and not as a replacement of the original track. There's only one classic version, and it should have been here.
- Buying the Super Deluxe Edition does not get you the whole content - you have to "double-dip" with the 2-CD versions !
- The Super Deluxe Edition is so expensive it makes Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley look like philanthropists. I'm as big as a GNR fan as it goes, but I can't justify spending that much money for arguably so few additional content.
- I know there has been a tradition of CD inserts/cover art misshaps in the GNR world (never forgetting you, Chinese Democracy alternate covers and "Prostitute" pixelated booklet page) but they even made a mistake with their -awful- retake on the cover art - it's tilted to the left !

"Complaints, complaints, complaints"

I just read the exact same post at SHF ;-)

• ABSUЯD 1

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I said this earlier, but I think the live tracklists were determined by the quality of their recordings - they'll obviously want the quality to be fairly consistent, which would be harder to do if a lot of their archive sounds like Coma from live era... I'd be more than happy to have Locomotive, Garden Of Eden, etc. In that quality but I can see why they were excluded. It would make the live CDs sound more like a mixtape than a coherent live album.

A UYI selects would be a great idea - particularly tapping into those songs like Garden of Eden and Breakdown.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I just wish NR could have gotten a remaster in its original form that being said, it seems kinda odd to have the new one being the only one included and on the main album sequence. 

The original mix of NR will now be randomly the only one not to get a new tape transfer/mastering/high resolution offering

Tbh I doubt there will be much difference in the new remaster if it even sounds any different/better at all. All they do is eq it slightly and compress the hell out of it nowadays.

Edited by Jw224

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

it's interessting because Live Era had material from Toyko, London and Vegas... Maybe the best material of quality? Coma from Omaha sounds weird, First half of Patience too (I can't explain) and Used To Love Her and You're Crazy from Tokyo '88. And i don't know what they did with Marquee's Out Ta Get Me. The whole Live Era is weird

See what Rio sounds like on the new release (Bad Apples and KOHD)

• Like 1

Ok, genuine question - so I’m a vinyl fan. If I buy the super deluxe 12 vinyl boxset, at a whopping £430, I still don’t get all the tracks? I’ve tried reading the press release and I think this is correct? I also need to buy the CD version even though I don’t own a CD player anymore. Am I right?

I was highly frustrated when the AFD boxset had all the extras on the CD version unless you forked out mega bucks for the wooden box thing. I had hoped they would fix that for this, but seems I was very wrong.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Ok, genuine question - so I’m a vinyl fan. If I buy the super deluxe 12 vinyl boxset, at a whopping £430, I still don’t get all the tracks? I’ve tried reading the press release and I think this is correct? I also need to buy the CD version even though I don’t own a CD player anymore. Am I right?

I was highly frustrated when the AFD boxset had all the extras on the CD version unless you forked out mega bucks for the wooden box thing. I had hoped they would fix that for this, but seems I was very wrong.

Even if you buy the 7 cd version, you don’t get all the songs…

5 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

How do you guys feel about the box set? Excited or disappointed?

I am excited for the two full live shows, a bit eh on the overall pricing and lack of studio material or rough mixes/alt takes

Like, I genuinely am stoked we are finally getting some more official audio from the UYI tour but it sucks that GNR are intent on not seeing through any of their projects to their full potential the past number of years

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

How do you guys feel about the box set? Excited or disappointed?

I'm happy because I'm a fan of official live material. 2 whole concerts and some extra like London and Rio.

Problem: For fans of demos and unreleased songs (Ain't going down) HUGE disappointment!
Problem 2: The price
Problem 3: i buy two products to collect all stuff

Edited by t-p-d-a
  • Like 3

I think there may be some confusion as to how these shows were recorded. I know they recorded almost every show on videotape and via soundboard but how many shows were actually recorded to multitrack? If i had to guess only a few which have been used as releases before and the shows used for this release may represent most of them.  I very much doubt every show was recorded to multitrack as it would have been a waste of equipment and time back then.  They selected certain shows to have a full 24 track recording unit and mics set up is my guess.

For example Coma sounds like crap compared to the other tracks on Live Era and sounds more like the audio tracks of the leaked videos which is just a 2 channel live stereo mix.  It does not sound like a multitrack recording to me but I could be wrong.

That may be why the selection of shows they are pulling from is more limited than we would prefer.  Even bands known for recording every show like Pearl Jam don't have multitracks from every show in the 90's.  Soundboards sure but not full multitracks. They have even had to patch some of the multitracks with a 2 channel soundboard source in some cases because they either didn't record it right or the tapes were degraded or lost.

I hope to be wrong but if I am right, that would explain the show choices.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm happy because I'm a fan of official live material. 2 whole concerts and some extra like London and Rio.

Problem: For fans of demos and unreleased songs (Ain't going down) HUGE disappointment!
Problem 2: The price
Problem 3: i buy two products to collects all stuff

Do you need to buy the cd and vinyl to get all tracks?