The Spotify X-Files thread

15 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

That lines up with the fact that Evader's version of The General was taken down from YouTube around the same time as the Spotify discovery.

It  was up there for years....no problem.  I would listen to it regularly and somebody removed it here recently 

I've uploaded at least a dozen or so videos to my YouTube channel with Village era leaks (only snippets) playing in the background, both in my vehicle and house. None of those were flagged, but it's possible the songs have been altered so much since those mixes were done, that they go undetected. They have been up for a few years, and are randomly in the videos and I don't really mention or put any GN'R related titles in those videos. 

I put them in there from time to time because they are good tunes and don't get picked up, AND the rare chance someone who may have worked on the album or at the label hears them, and thinks, oh wow, I have a ton of mixes of songs from that time, I wonder if he wants them. :)

19 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Does any of this translate to an imminent release though? It’s been nearly a month now already since this was first spotted.

I don’t think so. My theory is they are going to milk the illusions box set for the holidays and then focus on the new album at the beginning of the year. I mean let’s face it, they milked AFD. Illusions is next to be milked. We aren’t going to see a special Spaghetti Incident box set or a re-release anniversary addition of CD. The next “logical” way to make money after all of the popular material is sucked dry is with a new album. 

Edited by HollyWoodRose84
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I don’t think so. My theory is they are going to milk the illusions box set for the holidays and then focus on the new album at the beginning of the year. I mean let’s face it, they milked AFD. Illusions is next to be milked. We aren’t going to see a special Spaghetti Incident box set or a re-release anniversary addition of CD. The next “logical” way to make money after all of the popular material is sucked dry is with a new album. 

I am definitely still not expecting an album. Most likely will be another EP with two songs on it, if anything comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner55 said:

Semi tongue in cheek here, but is it possible Axl just put the songs in the Spotify database just to leave them pending so they could more easily remove the leaks online by claiming copyright? 

Ugh, Fernando just click the button and put us out of our misery. 

That's a big IF, but: IF the songs are indeed in Spotify's database, it's for a release. The risk of getting them leaked once it gets to a third party and/or public server is many times higher in my opinion. Be it by some Spotify employee or from Akamai/AWS CDNs hacker. 

@Blackstar may be right: it could be just meta data.  

37 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I've uploaded at least a dozen or so videos to my YouTube channel with Village era leaks (only snippets) playing in the background, both in my vehicle and house. None of those were flagged, but it's possible the songs have been altered so much since those mixes were done, that they go undetected. They have been up for a few years, and are randomly in the videos and I don't really mention or put any GN'R related titles in those videos. 

I put them in there from time to time because they are good tunes and don't get picked up, AND the rare chance someone who may have worked on the album or at the label hears them, and thinks, oh wow, I have a ton of mixes of songs from that time, I wonder if he wants them. :)

I lost my original YouTube channel after I posted videos with Silkworms, Absurd, Perhaps and Hard Skool (in this case, it was just the audience recording from the 2021 rehearsals) backing tracks and me playing guitars on top. It got multiple strikes at once and I didn't even have the chance to dispute the claim without getting threatened to have all the litigious costs on my back. 

And yeah, it was both Silkworms (using the Village demo as backing track, but with original guitar ideas by me) and Absurd (it had the studio release as backing track). 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

The album is definitely coming out soon.

Here's what we know:

-there were 1 or 2 albums worth of finished tracks, confirmed by Axl over a decade ago

-Duff's wife not only mentioned that her husband worked on the new album but that she's HEARD the songs/album.  That was what- almost 2 years ago 

-ABSURD and Hard School WERE released with Duff and Slash on them 

- Slash mentioned they HAVE finished songs they will be releasing soon....that was in addition to the Illusion cash grab set.

-IF ....big IF the label actually handed to songs over to Spotify it's because an album is imminent.  IF true..this is a legal maneuver to protect the songs but it means they will release it soon to prevent leaks. 

Thos is very well lining up for a 11/11/2022 'Use Your Illusions III' release!

Edited by Bailey15
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, chrismcquillan said:

Spoke to a musician I know who publishes on Spotify.

He says it'll be nothing to do with an algorithm. The record company will 100% have uploaded these tracks to licensing databases that power Spotify and other services for two reasons.

1) It allows copyright takedowns to occur instantly if anyone uploads leaks to services like YouTube.

2) It prevents other people publishing tracks with the same titles and artist data, obviously.

So he thinks the tracks are definitely in the system. Whether it's indicative of a release or not, he couldn't say.

It's possible there's a release coming, or there are concerns about the finished tracks leaking, so it's a preventative measure to stop them getting onto services like YT.

Thanks for your info!

The 100 pages of debate at the other thread + the investigation and info on this one makes me incline towards something happening after the UYI box sales dry up. (Maybe the next "EP" or couple "of songs" are really happening like Slash said)

Edited by metalavenger99

Also because

If this was just to prevent leaks, why is Se7en working for GNR? Seven hasn't leaked.

And if it were to leak, we don't know what could be the name of the track. Maybe it had a working title. 

But "Se7en"? That name makes it sound like the reworked version w/Slash and not the 2006 one (or whenever it was first mentioned).

I’m of two minds right now. It would be absolutely fucking rad if on 11/11 along with various I & 2 releases, they shock the world be also dropping UYI III. It would be a marketing slam dunk of cross promotion and it would be all anyone would be talking about.

The other half of me knows that because this scenario is a marketing no-brainer, there’s no way team GNR will opt to do it. 

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

59 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

Also because

If this was just to prevent leaks, why is Se7en working for GNR? Seven hasn't leaked.

And if it were to leak, we don't know what could be the name of the track. Maybe it had a working title. 

But "Se7en"? That name makes it sound like the reworked version w/Slash and not the 2006 one (or whenever it was first mentioned).

Seven hasn't leaked...yet. It may be a preventative move, or a mitigating move, if it leaks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bailey15 said:

The album is definitely coming out soon.

Here's what we know:

-there were 1 or 2 albums worth of finished tracks, confirmed by Axl over a decade ago

-Duff's wife not only mentioned that her husband worked on the new album but that she's HEARD the songs/album.  That was what- almost 2 years ago 

-ABSURD and Hard School WERE released with Duff and Slash on them 

- Slash mentioned they HAVE finished songs they will be releasing soon....that was in addition to the Illusion cash grab set.

-IF ....big IF the label actually handed to songs over to Spotify it's because an album is imminent.  IF true..this is a legal maneuver to protect the songs but it means they will release it soon to prevent leaks. 

Thos is very well lining up for a 11/11/2022 'Use Your Illusions III' release!

And to top the UYI I and II this will be a triple album. No doubt about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

I’m of two minds right now. It would be absolutely fucking rad if on 11/11 along with various I & 2 releases, they shock the world be also dropping UYI III. It would be a marketing slam dunk of cross promotion and it would be all anyone would be talking about.

The other half of me knows that because this scenario is a marketing no-brainer, there’s no way team GNR will opt to do it. 

Please let this happen, I mean, come man, that would be so killer! 

• Like 1

Honestly, if they released a triple album - even if it is just the Chinese leftovers - I think that would go a long way towards smoothing over the lack of new music overall since the reunion started, let alone 2008. Get all that out there (which should have been done long ago) and then the slate is clean.

• Like 2

So if this is to be a believed that everything was just uploaded the last 2 weeks, i mean i get it that spotify in other countries may uploaded it a different times, but seems strange that different tracks were showing up every couple of days, i want to believe it, but im on the fence.

2 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

If they released a brand new Album called Use Your Illusion 3 with amazing art work and all those mythical unheard tracks it would be the greatest moment of Guns N Roses fandom since the release of the Illusions in 1991. 

Until we hear the mixing and mastering, super loud Slash guitars and Frank's already not great drumming muddled into sounding like a drum machine, or Brain's amazing drums too low in the mix. Random snippets of noticeable "Duff is back!" bass guitar with barely auditable Bucket and Robin guitar parts (if we are lucky) and Axl's vocals slightly too quiet in parts of the song. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd prefer the crisp "overproduced" 2008 album treatment to CD2 than the above, which was Hard Skool and Absurd...

• Haha 1