2023 WORLD TOUR

5 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

Does someone else feel that the opportunity to release Perhaps has already been fumbled? (unless they release it before Glastonbury)

Absurd was debuted at the second show of 2021 irc...

And remember the anticipation for Hard Skool? the song had been on the setlist since like 2019, we got a lot of soundchecks (w/Axl) everywhere, Axl telling a fan it was soon to come, some people even heard the intro many days before the release, etc.

Aside from a couple of videos and the pic we have absolutely nothing yet and the "big date" is coming ,if it's not out by then they are obviously gonna play it safe that day... so... are they really gonna skip Glastonbury to showcase the new single just to release it someday on a random show at New Jersey or Kansas??? (i mean EVEN for GNR and their management that would be stupid as hell) i don't know...

Leaning towards that point of view now, yeah. 

I really think there's less chance of it being Glastonbury than anywhere else- shortened setlist that will focus on 'hits', not their own crowd and festival all make it seem unlikely to me. 

• Like 2

I watched an old video from like 92 where axl called gnr an organisation.

Im starting to think maybe it all is just a business to him. So he didnt release chinese democracy as he was trying to get a way to get the most money for it? He's not releasing new songs now as the tour with slash and duff provides the money. He teases one or two new songs in hopes fans will attend more shows on another tour leg? 

If thats the case, the sound check was deliberate to catch ours and the media attention. 

Hope im wrong haha.

• Like 1

Think the logic of releasing Perhaps at Glasto is a bit odd as festival sets, especially Glasto in the ‘Legends’ slot,  means you play your hits.

On a similar note, I remember George Michael getting a lot of flack at the opening ceremony of London 2012 because he played one of his newer songs instead of his classics!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

the business logic (if there is one) would be to release the single at the time of the show with the biggest American audience

To be honest, the business logic would have been to announce it's release at the same time as the announcement of the tour dates. 

We know GNR don't do logic though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

To be honest, the business logic would have been to announce it's release at the same time as the announcement of the tour dates. 

Sounds like something a Junior Communication Officer would suggest. And the rest of the communications department would just sigh and explain that "It wouldn't matter shit when it comes to pushing tickets. Please do logic".

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

no, two announcements the same day is not a good marketing strategy

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Metallica announced a single, an album and a tour on the same day. And they survived 

that's the advantage of having an album to promote with a tour, you can do a whole package, but some bands seems reluctant to do so, if you just have a track or two to sell, it could be a better idea to first promote a tour, then to boost it in the midst with the launch of a new track.

• ABSUЯD 1

3 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Sounds like something a Junior Communication Officer would suggest. And the rest of the communications department would just sigh and explain that "It wouldn't matter shit when it comes to pushing tickets. Please do logic".

So bands don't tour to promote music being released anymore? (Or vice versa?) 

The music industry must have missed that memo. Let Foo Fighters, Metallica, Pink, Taylor Swift, etc etc know quick that they're not logical and GNR are! They'll thank you I'm sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The music industry must have missed that memo. Let Foo Fighters, Metallica, Pink, Taylor Swift, etc etc know quick that they're not logical and GNR are! They'll thank you I'm sure. 

no these days bands do tours to make money.
it has little to do with promoting the albums, which almost nobody buys anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

....but yet every band still seems to release albums. Which they then tour around. How strange. 

yeah, strange to see bands who are not nostalgia acts and still do music, I know, I know

13 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Think the logic of releasing Perhaps at Glasto is a bit odd as festival sets, especially Glasto in the ‘Legends’ slot,  means you play your hits.

On a similar note, I remember George Michael getting a lot of flack at the opening ceremony of London 2012 because he played one of his newer songs instead of his classics!

Guns aren't playing the Legends slot this year, they're a regular headliner so they'll get a full festival headliner-length set.

The Legends slot is traditionally always a shorter set in the late afternoon on the last day of the festival, although this year it's a double bill for the first time ever with Yusuf/Cat Stevens and Blondie playing a set each.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Guns aren't playing the Legends slot this year, they're a regular headliner so they'll get a full festival headliner-length set.

The Legends slot is traditionally always a shorter set in the late afternoon on the last day of the festival, although this year it's a double bill for the first time ever with Yusuf/Cat Stevens and Blondie playing a set each.

Fair - wasn’t aware of that, thanks for confirming! Guess I’m just biased that I think Guns are Legends :P

"ABSURD" was unveiled at the Fenway Park show in 2021, so maybe "Perhaps" will be unveiled there also, though I actually believe it will be released before then.

I am visualizing the end of the tour in October being followed up with promotion for an LP or EP of new material in November, because the band seems to love November releases. It also makes sense to do it during that month with people preparing to shop for Christmas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

"ABSURD" was unveiled at the Fenway Park show in 2021, so maybe "Perhaps" will be unveiled there also, though I actually believe it will be released before then.

I am visualizing the end of the tour in October being followed up with promotion for an LP or EP of new material in November, because the band seems to love November releases. It also makes sense to do it during that month with people preparing to shop for Christmas.

As far as we know, they don't have more than an EP's worth of CD leftovers recorded. I wouldn't mind if they stretched it to an LP with a Duff song and 1 or 2 covers but I'm sure most people on here would hate that :lol:

Perhaps has gotta be released by the end of the European run, assuming there is actually more songs on the setlist... it's kind of insulting to the fans who've already seen them that they've got a new song ready to go and are soundchecking it, but they haven't played/released it yet. Luckily I'm seeing the last show of the year in Vancouver so if they're gonna release anything I'm sure I'll get to hear it live.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Aren't you guys talking about GnR releasing one song. Last I heard Foo Fighters and Metallica are out playing a tour supported by a new album, with them also doing press about said album and tour. 72 seasons is not only a single, but also the name of an album. As in a collection of songs. The first since Hardwired. 

Maybe Taytay can push tickets based solely on a single, not that she needs to. But you can't put GnR in the same boat as Taytay. You really can't. 

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

1 hour ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Aren't you guys talking about GnR releasing one song. Last I heard Foo Fighters and Metallica are out playing a tour supported by a new album, with them also doing press about said album and tour. 72 seasons is not only a single, but also the name of an album. As in a collection of songs. The first since Hardwired. 

Maybe Taytay can push tickets based solely on a single, not that she needs to. But you can't put GnR in the same boat as Taytay. You really can't. 

Hasn't Taylor Swift released like half a dozen albums since her previous tour? Definitely nowhere near GNR in terms of popularity or releases lol.

But yea, RHCP are touring behind 2 new albums and about 1/3 of their set is new songs, same for Maiden... there's definitely legacy acts that have kept their fans interested in new music. But that's one of the main differences between legacy acts like those bands, and nostalgia acts like GNR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Pretty sure Blink-182 just released a one-off single for their reunion tour this year, though I could be wrong, and maybe it’s part of an album that they’ve also been working on. I don’t really follow Blink anyways.

That said, The Stone Roses also released a pair of singles around their reunion tour and that was it. SOAD also released a pair of singles in 2020, though they couldn’t tour that year due to Covid, to be fair.

18 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

GnR are headlining on the Saturday night, the legends slot is always on the Sunday during the afternoon. It looks like Blondie or Cat Stevens is in that slot this year going by the stage times. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

We saw FF last weekend. Great show.

They played 4 songs off the new album. But I can tell you, the fact they have a new album had zero impact of whether or not we were buying tickets to see them. Same thing with GNR. The fact they DON’T have a new album had zero impact on whether or not we were going.

I realize here, that probably puts us in the minority 😂

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

GnR are headlining on the Saturday night, the legends slot is always on the Sunday during the afternoon. It looks like Blondie or Cat Stevens is in that slot this year going by the stage times. 

Afternoon? Maybe legends are old and need go out sleep early...?

• Haha 2