What message You Could Be Mine seems to present to me

I have just been observing the song I've been looking at deeper & given its lyrics, it seems to be talking how we humans who are becoming Global today should have no borders, no nations, just a diverse multicultural world where every single person once they grow up is free to pic their own partner to produce kids with, however they like it most & they are free to believe anything as long as they don't suppress other's rights & are tolerant of all human beings. This is why in the late 80s & early 90s people wondered if Guns N' Roses were sexist; with Slash they were given a pass for a racially diverse band but not a gender diverse band & the lyrics of songs, especially You Could Be Mine which talks about men impregnating women on the bed & just leaving them gave them a bad reputation. To be a cold heartbreaker, fit ta burn & rip a woman's heart out & leave her lying on the bed is indeed sexist & very weak. Axl didn't failed to have kids with Erin Everly, no wonder he was so angry at the world! He even wore a "Nobody Knows I'm A Lesbian" shirt.  But because women particularly made him angry he was a Narcissistic Sexist Male. I think that this event in one's life would break them, having lost so much hope to create a few humans to continue their family, their blood, their ways & that's why even multiple ways are now tolerated, as long as one finds that partner & creates those humans to continue their family cycle. I have sat up all night researching this & found this answer. Axl in his young years was simply a Narcissistic Male out of anger & teenagers thought that this was cool but it was only leading the teens in a bad direction, away from the Human production. Essentially the song says, if you are a human,  while you are young, find yourself a partner a produce your own unique family however you like.

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Screamin' Demon said:

I have just been observing the song I've been looking at deeper & given its lyrics, it seems to be talking how we humans who are becoming Global today should have no borders, no nations, just a diverse multicultural world where every single person once they grow up is free to pic their own partner to produce kids with, however they like it most & they are free to believe anything as long as they don't suppress other's rights & are tolerant of all human beings. This is why in the late 80s & early 90s people wondered if Guns N' Roses were sexist; with Slash they were given a pass for a racially diverse band but not a gender diverse band & the lyrics of songs, especially You Could Be Mine which talks about men impregnating women on the bed & just leaving them gave them a bad reputation. To be a cold heartbreaker, fit ta burn & rip a woman's heart out & leave her lying on the bed is indeed sexist & very weak. Axl didn't failed to have kids with Erin Everly, no wonder he was so angry at the world! He even wore a "Nobody Knows I'm A Lesbian" shirt.  But because women particularly made him angry he was a Narcissistic Sexist Male. I think that this event in one's life would break them, having lost so much hope to create a few humans to continue their family, their blood, their ways & that's why even multiple ways are now tolerated, as long as one finds that partner & creates those humans to continue their family cycle. I have sat up all night researching this & found this answer. Axl in his young years was simply a Narcissistic Male out of anger & teenagers thought that this was cool but it was only leading the teens in a bad direction, away from the Human production. Essentially the song says, if you are a human,  while you are young, find yourself a partner a produce your own unique family however you like.

Izzy wrote the lyrics, except the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

It's from Terminator 2, so It's about Arnold saving John and his mother and the world. lol

I don't think it's about being happy with the woman he's with since she seems to want more from him than Axl can give her.  Typical story about a rocker and their woman.

You mean that Axl & the Terminator are supposed to gaslight each other and fight fire with fire? :blink:

That is def one view to take from it, this is an Izzy song though and as he is very straight forward for the most part I would say its just about someone getting frustrated with the antics of their partner and ready for them to grow up and be with them or leave. A great song, one of their best in my opinion 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Screamin' Demon said:

Ah it’s probably not. 
What Strain was it? 

• Like 3

Whenever I hear people describing something (non-violent ofc) from 25+ years ago as sexist etc., I tell them go watch Married with Children and get real. It was fun, and it was absolutely ok. Let’s not have a breakdown. 
Whenever I heard people hypocritically rambling and getting mad about that Louis CK’s business, I told them go read some of the rock stars' autobiographies (however censored/diluted they are, as their families read them too). The man did nothing, ya snowflakes. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There's also the reverse of that, which really annoys me- people trying to put massive, justifying, pseudo- intellectual readings onto things they like in order to justify their own liking of it in the current climate. 

You know what? Pretty Tied Up is about bondage, Back Off Bitch is about slagging off a woman he didn't like and the line 'turn around bitch I got a use for you' is about fucking. 

It isn't some clever, artful, subtle, subversive moral commentary, with self-knowing subtexts, by carefully dissecting gender stereotyping and social roles:  it's nasty, filthy, dangerous, obnoxious, rock n roll, and it's what people lapped up in droves. 

That's all it is. It's why people loved it. 

I agree, and we just should be honest and rock n' roll about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

There's also the reverse of that, which really annoys me- people trying to put massive, justifying, pseudo- intellectual readings onto things they like in order to justify their own liking of it in the current climate. 

You know what? Pretty Tied Up is about bondage, Back Off Bitch is about slagging off a woman he didn't like and the line 'turn around bitch I got a use for you' is about fucking. 

It isn't some clever, artful, subtle, subversive moral commentary, with self-knowing subtexts, by carefully dissecting gender stereotyping and social roles:  it's nasty, filthy, dangerous, obnoxious, rock n roll, and it's what people lapped up in droves. 

All this is why I still love it, even and maybe especially because of the current sociopolitical climate. 

It's a song about a bad relationship. Nothing more. There is no deep hidden meaning. The guy in the song is an asshole who doesn't treat the girl well and the girl is constantly arguing with him. 

I don't know what you have to be on to come up with that interpretation but I think I'd like some.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeingBoring said:

All this is why I still love it, even and maybe especially because of the current sociopolitical climate. 

The sociopolitical climate really has no bearing on my love of GNR to be honest. Seeing as they've released next to fuck all outside of the 80s/90s they really have no bearing on it for me as they're set in that era and I view it through that lens. 

If though they released a new album in 2023, in their 60s, referring to "bitches", sex and such like I'd think it was a fucking disgraceful embarrassment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, allwaystired said:

100% music made mostly by lunatics for lunatics. 

On 1/17/2023 at 9:20 PM, Screamin' Demon said:

if you are a human,  while you are young, find yourself a partner a produce your own unique family however you like.

Do it, please.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:19 PM, Blackstar said:

Izzy wrote the lyrics, except the bridge.

Oh really? Didn't know that. Interesting. So he probably wrote most of the vocal melody, too?