The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Could releasing "Silkworms" be part of a settlement with Pitman?

I just thought about this, hear me out....could the release of Absurd and maybe Hardschool be part of some sort of settlement with the previous members, or just a way to give the new band "some time" to test the waters as far as recording goes?!

I could image the whole band to be quite nervous to start recording a new album/songs from scratch now that the core members have built quite big egoes who could step on each others toes at any moment during the creating proces which could lead to another break up of the band. I think the endles touring is the result of that, let's cash as much money before we might start fighting again during the "creative proces"

Just my 2 cents

Edited by merces
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, merces said:

Could releasing "Silkworms" be part of settlement with Pitman?

I just thought about this, hear me out....could the release of Absurd and maybe Hardschool be part of some sort of settlement with the previous members, or just a way to give the new band "some time" to test the waters as far as recording goes?!

I could image the whole band to be quite nervous to start recording a new album/songs from scratch now that the core members have built quite big egoes who could step on each others toes at any moment during the creating proces which could lead to another break up of the band. I think the endles touring is the result of that, let's cash as much money before we might start fighting again during the "creative proces"

Just my 2 cents

my guess is that Axl would never release music under the Gn'R name that he doesn't actually want to release. I believe that would be beneath him as a musician/artist.

also, I think the chances are low for any friction between Axl, Slash, and Duff when it comes to ego or disagreements about the release of more Gn'R music simply cause I think Slash and Duff knew what they were agreeing to when they chose to join Axl's Gn'R. Every member of the "big 3" is getting something they want out of it and it seems like they're older and wiser now and know better than to try to push Axl to do something he doesn't want to do.

I think Slash and Duff understand that and the rest of the current Gn'R lineup will probably do whatever is asked of them to the best of their abilities cause they're all pros and maybe they don't want to let Axl down.

as a band, Gn'R seems to be at a really good place right now when it comes to how well they seem to get along with each other imo. Axl performing Coma, a few Locomotive performances, and Slither and Slash and Duff playing Chinese tunes was also a good indication that things are stable within the band.

Edited by Rovim

Being a perfectionist is a handicap when you're trying to be creative. Music is art, emotion, it's something you feel that needs to come out.

Not something you should overthink.

And I'll say it again, Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 is very honest about this: when he was young he had all these heavy emotions and the songs basically wrote themselves... but as he got older and more relaxed, the creativity died with it.

My feeling is that Axl is going through the same thing. He looks too happy and relaxed :lol: He is not the young angry Axl anymore.

What is he going to write about?

20 years ago was a different situation though... So I'm still hoping there's some stuff "in the vault" the current lineup feels is worthy of a proper release.

And maybe he's just happy with how things are right now and doesn't want to change anything. My boss at work is the same age as Axl and is like that. Doesn't want to grow the company, just wants to keep it stable... secure. And he's enjoying life instead of working all the time.

These guys are getting older...

Edited by Lethalis
  • Thanks 2

On 5/16/2023 at 8:31 AM, Rovim said:

and yet they keep getting it from you

On 5/16/2023 at 9:22 AM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Says the guy on a GNR message board. 

actually, you are getting my attention, not some geriatric con artist profiteering band. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

Being a perfectionist is a handicap when you're trying to be creative. Music is art, emotion, it's something you feel that needs to come out.

And I'll say it again, Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 is very honest about this: when he was young he had all these heavy emotions and the songs basically wrote themselves... but as he got older and more relaxed, the creativity died with it.

My feeling is that Axl is going through the same thing. He looks too happy and relaxed :lol: He is not the young angry Axl anymore.

20 years ago was a different situation though... So I'm still hoping there's some stuff "in the vault" the current lineup feels is worthy of a proper release.

And maybe he's just happy with how things are right now and doesn't want to change anything. My boss at work is the same age as Axl and is like that. Doesn't want to grow the company, just wants to keep it stable... secure. And he's enjoying life instead of working all the time.

In such case, I hope he still has many unused lyrics from the past left – he could give them to Slash without any music or melodies whatsoever, and this way, some cool music could be created. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

Comparing Axl Rose, one of the greatest, wildest rock and roll frontmen of all time to......the coasting boss of a business who wants things dull, stable and secure is most definitely not a compliment! 

But I think that is probably the problem now. GNR is a business, just waiting for the boss to retire. And that's a tragedy given their talent. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

He lives in a mansion filled with things he loves, and people that love him, and probably has a lot of time to do his hobbies. Inspiration is all around him, if he wanted to write about anything new. Or maybe he has written stuff, but it's lying around in his mansion somewhere.

Also with all this talk about perfectionism going on in this thread, I don't think that's the only factor that  would cause that much delay. It's a different field, but Stanley Kubrick is a known perfectionist, but he had a consistent release schedule for his films. He made Shelley Duvall do 127 takes just for a specific scene in the Shining. But I guess Kubrick has a plan and knows exactly what he wants, and he makes sure things appear as he wants it. Kubrick probably has an idea of what perfect looks like in his head, and when a take achieves it, then it makes him happy.

Same with James Cameron. He's a perfectionist. But he knows what he wants, and if the technology isn't there, then he waits around for it to develop, or is involved with the development of it. Even when people pointed out a flaw in Avatar 2 about some characters not showing up during the second half of a battle sequence when those characters were present in the first half, it was deliberate on Cameron's part because he wanted to focus the screentime on the main characters.

Whereas Axl might be one of those types that don't know what perfect is, just that he wants it. So he spends so much time looking for it, tinkering around, hoping that with enough tinkering, something up to his standards will be there. Or maybe as Lethalis said above, Axl's life is perfect as is, so he doesn't have that much drive to go and release a new album quickly.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1

God this band is bat shit boring.... zzzz

Tweet a photo of the band in studio?

Release a show from 2002 or 2006 on youtube?

1 new [old] single?

A new merch line of toy trucks...?

Ffs... do something... 7 years of this reunion and sweet fa still... 

Hate seeing another year after year of inactive squandered talent going to waste.. thankfully it has directed me to other artists to enjoy an fill the gap.. but fark sakes... this ain't a band.. it's merely a brand nowadays..

At least the chairman gave us a taste of something different, audio an video wise... more than anything "official" by team Brazil turds..

I really hope slash an duff leave again next year, and leave this sinking ship. Find another singer, grab gilby an matt an make sum rock and or roll music, and leave bitch boy in his mansion, surrounded by yes men, eating tacos, doing Disney voice-overs as m.mouse.. while the gnr vault just sits there caked in dust never to be seen, cos it's clearly to hard to pick 10 songs on a record, hand it in an get it released? Or mix an remaster any of the 90-93  live pro.shots and get them out there for the fans?? Nope...

Edited by bumcheecksmcghee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I was one of those that used to really think that. 

I actually think that's genuinely a sad thing- that illusion being shattered. As a fan it's a tough one to come to terms with. 

Yeah I agree. What I struggle with is, on one hand he did TWAT, MADAGASCAR, prostitute, this I love, & OMG, which are amazing in my books, aka gnr 2.0.....then, on the other hand, releases completely fucked up mixes of HS & Absurd. 

Edited by jimisbatman

8 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Yeah I agree. What I struggle with is, on one hand he did TWAT, MADAGASCAR, prostitute, this I love, & OMG, which are amazing in my books, aka gnr 2.0.....then, on the other hand, releases completely fucked up mixes of HS & Absurd. 

The pre-2011 Axl who made CD is very different from the Axl we have now. Whether it's medication, stroke or any number of things that have been speculated, he just doesn't give a shit anymore.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

God this band is bat shit boring.... zzzz

Tweet a photo of the band in studio?

Release a show from 2002 or 2006 on youtube?

1 new [old] single?

A new merch line of toy trucks...?

Ffs... do something... 7 years of this reunion and sweet fa still...

Well, they have released new merch and two old singles in these 7 years :) I doubt they will release videos from the NuGnR era when Slash and Duff are in the band, and they can't release photos from a studio where they aren't. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

The pre-2011 Axl who made CD is very different from the Axl we have now. Whether it's medication, stroke or any number of things that have been speculated, he just doesn't give a shit anymore.

Yeah it's really weird watching those '09-'12 performances and how into his new music that finally got released he was and how lively and energetic he was like it was still the 90s and then since the very beginning of the reunion he's like a completely (and almost unrecognizable) different person 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah it's really weird watching those '09-'12 performances and how into his new music that finally got released he was and how lively and energetic he was like it was still the 90s and then since the very beginning of the reunion he's like a completely (and almost unrecognizable) different person 

Ultimately the money and convenience of the reunion was too hard to turn down. Continuing otherwise would have required new music and reformulating the band yet again, to diminishing returns. But it's never really seemed like his heart is in it. The last time we saw him with fire in his belly was Axl/DC

CD was the product of someone who cared too much. Absurd and Hard Skool were the product of someone who said "fuck it" 

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

That is just not true. Axl was a beast in 2016 and even 2017. Of course now he isn't as energetic as he was in 2009, that's almost 15 year ago.

• Like 1

The guy is 61 and has fu to the max money at this point. So it’s not surprising that he is less motivated than in previous decades. 

A couple points to consider about his performance abilities at this point-

Your ability to emote with power and clarity is driven by your muscular system. As we age our muscular system begins to degrade. You throw surgeries, injuries, prescription drugs and poor dietary choices on top of the natural decline of the muscles and you end up no longer being able to sing the same. You almost have to train like an athlete to maintain a semblance of what you were in your peak life years. (See Jagger, Mick) so 2009-2010 was probably the end of Axl’s prime as a singer. Just like great athletes no longer in their prime can bring it in fits  and spurts (like Axl in AC/DC) they can longer maintain the standard of excellence they once achieved. 

On 5/18/2023 at 1:12 AM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Yes, something has happened. So this is the beginning of the end of gnr? 

2 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

So this is the beginning of the end of gnr? 

Obviously and has been that way after the first one or two reunion years. Maybe, maybe there'll be one final chapter with a "new" record but as it doesn't seem that way, it seems we're on the lap of honor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

Obviously and has been that way after the first one or two reunion years. Maybe, maybe there'll be one final chapter with a "new" record but as it doesn't seem that way, it seems we're on the lap of honor.

I think we're past the lap of honour stage now. Without a push to the 'next phase' of the band, we're looking at them just slowly sliding away I think. 

20 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

That is just not true. Axl was a beast in 2016 and even 2017. Of course now he isn't as energetic as he was in 2009, that's almost 15 year ago.

Axl's voice was top notch through most of 2016, but he was awful in 2017. Even in late 2016 on the SA tour Mickey was starting to take over.

• Like 1