The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

he seems to only dislike Robin's Better solo. I'm not aware of any negative things he had to say about other studio versions of Chinese solos he plays live.

Iirc he said something like some solos deserve to be played as the originals and some not. 

Edit: Tboneman has already posted the original interview...

Edited by Free Bird

I'd much prefer new music. I'm sure Axl and Slash could create some magic together again.

If songs are over 20 years old I have to question why they were never released before, why didn't they make the cut for CD and why do they need to be reworked again? 

Based on what we've heard so far, I have a good idea why these songs didn't make the cut 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

he seems to only dislike Robin's Better solo. I'm not aware of any negative things he had to say about other studio versions of Chinese solos he plays live.

He said that he doesn't play the songs totally accurately because he feels like some parts don't hold any melodic significance and it seems like they were just making it up. The question he was asked was about Better though, yes.

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Iirc he said something like some solos deserve to be played as the originals and some not. 

The interview in question  is this one:

“The other side of it was figuring out what my version of The Chinese Democracy stuff would be like, because that was a whole different Guns N’ Roses animal in terms of the musicians involved. A lot of it I thought was really cool, like Buckethead did some cool shit so I would stick to that but do it in my own way so it didn’t feel too foreign or like I was squeezing a round peg into a square hole. That was interesting and fun… more fun than it was intimidating.”

On the song Better, instead of trying to play like Robin Finck trying to play like you - as per the recorded version - you chose to do your own thing…

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

Edited by Blackstar
added full quote
  • Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The interview in question  is this one:

“The other side of it was figuring out what my version of The Chinese Democracy stuff would be like, because that was a whole different Guns N’ Roses animal in terms of the musicians involved. A lot of it I thought was really cool, like Buckethead did some cool shit so I would stick to that but do it in my own way so it didn’t feel too foreign or like I was squeezing a round peg into a square hole. That was interesting and fun… more fun than it was intimidating.”

On the song Better, instead of trying to play like Robin Finck trying to play like you - as per the recorded version - you chose to do your own thing…

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

Have to agree. 

CD would have faired much better as an Axl solo project. That’s pretty much how I’ve always viewed it. Love the album all the way but I don’t consider it a Guns album. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mister mosh said:

THIS!!!..I dont need them to reconstruct the wheel, I dont need multi track overdubs and layers ...I just want a stripped down GNR Lies kinda vibe...just all go into a room, jam and see what comes to fruition, dont overthink it and do it for the reasons you all got into music in the first place, passion, inspiration, wanting to create....Not everything need to be complicated. 

judging by absurd and hard schools vocal mix sounding the same as chinese... thats not gonna happen. its gonna be grandiose and big, with autotune and delay all over the vocals to give it the epic and polished sound axl seems to dig. the guitars seemed less "layered" mix-wise on absurd/HS tho, so they would likely have the same heavy presence. 

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Oof, not sure if it's because I'm a big Chinese Democracy apologist, but I think this is quite a hot take.

One thing I would say shouldn't be levelled at Robin for his contributions is a lack of melodic significance, I would argue his work is incredibly emotive, and I'm not just talking about CD.

• Like 2

Possibilities in order of likelihood …

1. an album is never formally released, but CDII castoffs trickle out as singles, as HS and Absurd did, with guitars and bass re-recorded by Slash and Duff. I reckon this is the most likely course of events. 

2. no album is released at all until Axl dies 

3. an album of CDII material is released with slash and duff re-recording and reworking the guitar/bass. 

4. CDII cast offs cease to be released and they start trickling out new music written by the band as they are now.

5. as above, but a full album of brand new music is released. 

on this scale, I think between 1 and 2 is likely. If we are to trust the band (which I don’t) 3 has a narrow chance of happening at some point, though I don’t think it will (personal opinion). Anything else, personally, I think is pure fantasy. 

im aware some people will say regarding number 2, we know Perhaps is in the pipeline, and SOG and Atlas Shrugged are probably getting similar treatment… so nothing else ever again isn’t likely. But in terms of an album, I think it’s unlikely we’ll get one in the bands lifetime. 

11 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Not into any new acoustic stuff. I want to hear the rest of the shit Axl wrote when he was still relatively young and ready to take on the world. Glad CD II is still the priority instead of attempting to write brand new music.

Yeah. The stuff axl wrote in 98/99 when he was pissed off and had a point to prove will be much better than a happy 61 year old worth £250m touring the world in a private jet could write. literally the only important thing axl has commented on in the past 13 years is his dislike of trump, and a song attacking him and his supporters would be the only option of something good, yet half of you are probably trump fans and would get offended by it anyway, as is the modern way, to take offence to all that isnt what you think, and that would split the fan base too. So he's best off just releasing all that early cd era material. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

By “melodic significance” I think he just means it’s not something like the TWAT solo, which is an epic that’s been structured in a certain way and to stray from it too much would be jarring.

I actually like Slash’s take on the Better solo. That descending lick he does is beautiful. Finck’s solo, of course, is beautiful as well. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Axl might be the boss but Slash and Duff have a huge amount of power. What would Axl do if they left? 

With Axl losing his voice, if they leave then he's not selling out stadiums or maybe even arena's. 

If they leave, they’re not selling out stadiums or arenas either. All three are necessary to the success of this thing (though Axl and Slash together onstage is the real moneymaker).

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Hence why the other night he played TWAT very close to how was...big compliment to Bucket there and concurs with what he said about admiring him as a "fucking amazing player"...

2 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

Possibilities in order of likelihood …

1. an album is never formally released, but CDII castoffs trickle out as singles, as HS and Absurd did, with guitars and bass re-recorded by Slash and Duff. I reckon this is the most likely course of events. 

2. no album is released at all until Axl dies 

3. an album of CDII material is released with slash and duff re-recording and reworking the guitar/bass. 

4. CDII cast offs cease to be released and they start trickling out new music written by the band as they are now.

5. as above, but a full album of brand new music is released. 

on this scale, I think between 1 and 2 is likely. If we are to trust the band (which I don’t) 3 has a narrow chance of happening at some point, though I don’t think it will (personal opinion). Anything else, personally, I think is pure fantasy. 

im aware some people will say regarding number 2, we know Perhaps is in the pipeline, and SOG and Atlas Shrugged are probably getting similar treatment… so nothing else ever again isn’t likely. But in terms of an album, I think it’s unlikely we’ll get one in the bands lifetime. 

What's the liklihood of CD2 LEAKS? 

14 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

What's the liklihood of CD2 LEAKS? 

Higher than an actual album being released in my opinion.

It's pretty crazy that we've never had a proper leak of The General when you think about it. Especially considering all the Chinese Democracy material that's leaked over the years.

Those 2019 leaks were an incredible time to be a fan of GNR.

• GNFNR 2

48 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

Higher than an actual album being released in my opinion.

It's pretty crazy that we've never had a proper leak of The General when you think about it. Especially considering all the Chinese Democracy material that's leaked over the years.

Those 2019 leaks were an incredible time to be a fan of GNR.

Weirdly I think GNR is quite tight when it comes to leaks. I do not think something like village will ever happen again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Weirdly I think GNR is quite tight when it comes to leaks. I do not think something like village will ever happen again.

I think the opposite. There's rarely a rock band as famous as GNR having such a big number of leaks. Almost every song since 2001 has been leaked prior to its official release. 

8 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I think the opposite. There's rarely a rock band as famous as GNR having such a big number of leaks. Almost every song since 2001 has been leaked prior to its official release. 

I mean, I guess you're right. I still don't see anything more leaking, though. Village was a massive lucky thing, not something that's likely to happen again.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Seems it changed in 2006, with not even Bumblefoot getting CDs of the new songs to learn prior to rehearsals.

Up to that point leaks were frequent, and likely some of them instigated by the band to test the reception of the songs.

Yeah, I definitely think things are different now 

• Like 1