The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh ok, thanks. 

It could well be I suppose. I think the same as you- despite the current high people are on with the release of two songs, new music really doesn't seem to be a priority at all, so 2025 to drum up a few headlines for another tour would seem very likely. 

Yeah, I mean this year has been the most exciting year GN'R wise in a long while. It really feels like 2006 in terms of good press and momentum and the fact we've heard new songs. Indeed, Glastonbury sort of felt like a modern Rock Am Ring 2006 (I played the hell out of that bootleg as a kid!). It would make sense to capitalise on it but Slash has got a ton of stuff happening next year so I can't see plans changing. I guess if there are even more songs good to go then they can release another two and still have some in the can for 2025 but I don't want to be too optimistic! 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, betterman said:

Atlas is goood! :)

my ranking of new songs (including demos with lyrics)

Perhaps
Atlas
HardSkool
State of grace (has possibility to be better than all three with a more fleshed out sound, more guitar and solo plus redone vocals in the first verses. Vocals at the end some of Axls best ever)

Goin Down

Absurd

Eye on you (totally overrated)

Nothing (cannot see this one being a complete song)

I'd rank the "new songs"/leaks (the ones with vocals, at least) in this order:

Great:

• Going Down
  • Perhaps

Cool:

• Atlas Shrugged
  • Hard Skool
  • State Of Grace

Could possibly become something cool:

• Nothing

Bad:

• Eye On You
  • Absurd
  • PERHAPS 1

6 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I'd rank the "new songs"/leaks (the ones with vocals, at least) in this order:

Great:

• Going Down
  • Perhaps

Cool:

• Atlas Shrugged
  • Hard Skool
  • State Of Grace

Could possibly become something cool:

• Nothing

Bad:

• Eye On You
  • Absurd

Other way round! 

Absurd is in my top 5 Guns songs. Absurdly, I'm not joking. 

I go through phases with Eye on You. I think with guitars it could've sounded pretty rad, not Guns suitable but as a stand alone piece wouldve been wild, when the scream comes in and the drums build up back in to the chorus imagine a sleazy guitar slide and a few Buckethead leads. 

10 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Since we're gonna have at least 4 Chinese 2 songs by years out (maybe even 6 if we believe rumours) I thought it be interesting to repost this awesome work and pick away at it what we think are all they've reworked (2016-23) and perhaps if they've found some more to do this year during the studio time we've seen....fun game either way ...

1998:

"The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

Songs with vocals:

• "Madagascar"
  • "Prostitute"

Finished songs in instrumental form:

• "Chinese Democracy"
  • "T.W.A.T."
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Perhaps"
  • "Rhiad"
  • "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "The Blues"
  • "Quick Song"
  • "Zodiac 13"
  • "State Of Grace"
  • "Oklahoma"
  • "IRS"
  • "Hard School"
  • "Dummy"
  • "Me & My Elvis"
  • "Ides Of March"
  • "D Tune"
  • "Curly Shuffle"
  • "Thyme"

1999:

A - Tier Songs with vocals:

• "Madagascar"
  • "Prostitute"
  • "T.W.A.T."
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Perhaps"
  • "Rhiad"
  • "Chinese Democracy"
  • "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "The Blues"
  • "Silkworms"
  • "If The World"
  • "State Of Grace"
  • "IRS"
  • "Hard School"
  • "Oh My God"

B - Tier Songs with vocals:

• "Eye On You"
  • "Quick Song"
  • "Nothing"
  • "This I Love"

A - Tier instrumentals:

• "P.R.L."
  • "Moustache"
  • "Zodiac 13"
  • "Tonto"
  • "I'm Sorry"
  • "Oklahoma"
  • "Dummy"
  • "Me & My Elvis"
  • "Circus Maximus" renamed after "Ides Of March"
  • "D Tune"
  • "Curly Shuffle"
  • "Thyme"

B - Tier instrumentals:

• "Real Doll"
  • "Shackler's Revenge"
  • "Billionaire"
  • "Dub Suplex"
  • "Devious Bastard"
  • "As It Began"

2000:

Finished songs:

• "Madagascar"
  • "Prostitute"
  • "T.W.A.T."
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Perhaps"
  • "Riad N' The Bedouins" renamed after "Rhiad"
  • "Chinese Democracy"
  • "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "The Blues"
  • "Silkworms"
  • "If The World"
  • "State Of Grace"
  • "IRS"
  • "Hard School"
  • "Thyme"
  • "Oh My God"

A - Tier instrumentals:

• "I'm Sorry"
  • "Oklahoma"
  • "Dummy"
  • "Me & My Elvis"
  • "Circus Maximus"
  • "D Tune"
  • "Curly Shuffle"

B - Tier instrumentals:

• "Quick Song"
  • "Zodiac 13"
  • "Shackler's Revenge"
  • "Dub Suplex"

Most likely abandoned songs:

• "PRL"
  • "Eye On You"
  • "Moustache"
  • "Tonto"
  • "Real Doll"
  • "Devious Bastard"
  • "Nothing"
  • "As It Began"
  • "This I Love"

2001:

Finished songs:

• "Madagascar"
  • "Prostitute"
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Perhaps"
  • "Riad N' The Bedouins"
  • "Chinese Democracy"
  • "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "The Blues"
  • "Silkworms"
  • "If The World"
  • "State Of Grace"
  • "IRS"
  • "Hard School"
  • "Thyme"
  • "Oh My God"
  • "Oklahoma" [Vocals added]
  • "Going Down"

A - Tier instrumentals:

• "Sorry For You" renamed after "I'm Sorry"
  • "100 Cuban Skies" renamed after "Dummy"
  • "Leave Me Alone" renamed after "Me & My Elvis"
  • "Circus Maximus"
  • "D Tune"
  • "Curly Shuffle"
  • "Three Dollar Pyramid"
  • "Prom Violence"

B - Tier instrumentals:

• "Quick Song"
  • "Zodiac 13"
  • "Shackler's Revenge"
  • "Dub Suplex"

• "Inside Out"
  • Tommy Home Demo

2002 - MAJOR "RESET" OF THE ALBUM:

Finished songs ready to master:

• "Chinese Democracy" [Soft remake; plus BH solo]
  • "Better" renamed after "Three Dollar Pyramid" [Vocals added]
  • "The Blues" [Soft remake; orchestra]
  • "If The World"
  • "There Was a Time" renamed after "T.W.A.T." [Soft remake; plus BH solo; orchestra]
  • "Riad N' The Bedouins"
  • "IRS"
  • "Madagascar" [orchestra]
  • "Prostitute" [orchestra]
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Perhaps"
  • "Silkworms" [Remake]
  • "State Of Grace"
  • "Oklahoma"
  • "Hard School"
  • "100 Cuban Skies" [Vocals added]
  • "Thyme" [Orchestra]
  • "Oh My God"
  • "Going Down" [Remake]

Demos began to circulate.

A - Tier instrumentals:

• "Leave Me Alone" [Orchestra]
  • "The General" [Orchestra]
  • "Seven" [Orchestra; possible mix between "Circus Maximus" / "D Tune" / "Curly Shuffle"]

B - Tier instrumentals:

• "Quick Song"
  • "Zodiac" renamed after "Zodiac 13"
  • "Shackler's Revenge" [Remake; possible mix between "Shackler's Revenge" / "Dub Suplex" / "Prom Violence"]

Late 2004 - Early 2005:

Finished songs:

• "Chinese Democracy"
  • "Better"
  • "The Blues"
  • "If The World"
  • "There Was a Time"
  • "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "Riad N' The Bedouins"
  • "Sorry For You" [Vocals added]
  • "IRS"
  • "Madagascar"
  • "Prostitute"
  • "Thyme"
  • "Elvis Presley & The Monster Of Soul" renamed after "Leave Me Alone" [Vocals added]
  • "The General" [Vocals added]
  • "Seven" [Vocals added]

B - Tier finished songs:

• "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Silkworms"
  • "Berlin" renamed after "Oklahoma"
  • "Oh My God"
  • "Going Down"
  • "Jackie Chan" renamed after "Hard School"
  • "Cuban Skies" renamed after "100 Cuban Skies"

A - Tier instrumental songs:

• "Shackler's Revenge"
  • "This I Love" [Previously abandoned]
  • "Lies They Tell"

• "Perhaps"
  • "Quick Song"
  • "Zodiac"
  • "State Of Grace"

2005 / EARLY 2006- "ANTIQUIET" / FINISHED UNRELEASED ALBUM:

Finished mastered album:

• "Chinese Democracy"
  • "Shackler's Revenge" [Vocals added; 2007 incident nothing to do with this song, only a reminder by Rose]
  • "Better"
  • "The Blues"
  • "If The World"
  • "There Was a Time"
  • "Riad N' The Bedouins"
  • "Lies They Tell" [Vocals added]
  • "Sorry For You"
  • "IRS"
  • "Madagascar"
  • "Prostitute"

Mastered and finished songs not to be included:

• "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "This I Love" [Vocals added]
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Berlin"
  • "Seven"
  • "The General"
  • "Elvis Presley & The Monster Of Soul"
  • "Thyme"
  • "Oh My God"
  • "Silkworms"
  • "Cuban Skies"
  • "Jackie Chan"
  • "Going Down"

Instrumentals leftovers:

• "Light My Fire" [previously abandoned; renamed after "Moustache"]
  • "Tonto" [previously abandoned]
  • "Monstrosity"

2007 - FINISHED:

Finished album - Release in 2008:

• "Chinese Democracy"
  • "Shackler's Revenge"
  • "Better"
  • "Street Of Dreams" renamed after "Stardust" renamed after "The Blues"
  • "If The World"
  • "There Was a Time"
  • "Catcher In The Rye"
  • "Scraped" renamed after "Lies They Tell"
  • "Riad N' The Bedouins"
  • "Sorry" renamed after "Sorry For You"
  • "IRS"
  • "Madagascar"
  • "This I Love"
  • "Prostitute"

Finished songs - released in 2021:

• "Absurd!" renamed after "Silkworms"
  • "HardSkool" renamed after "Jackie Chan"

Finished unreleased songs:

• "Oh My God"
  • "Atlas Shrugged"
  • "Berlin"
  • "7" renamed after "Seven"
  • "The General"
  • "Soul Monster" renamed after "Monster Of Soul" renamed after "Elvis Preslery & The Monster Of Soul"
  • "Thyme"
  • "Cuban Skies"
  • "Going Down"
  • "Tonto" [Vocals added]
  • "Light My Fire" [Vocals added]
  • "Monstrosity" [Vocals added]

Finished songs 2023

Perhaps

The General

TBC

Atlas Shrugged

Urgh. The lists. 

Didn't Tommy Stinson say that there's also unreleased music that was created by GNR before Slash left?

In other words: there might be more music still in the vault that predates the Chinese Democracy era?

That might be enough to compile an album... Chinese leftovers + UYI leftovers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gnrjanus said:

I think its wonderfull to think. They worked on stuff post 94 pre 98. 

Wonder how that evolved. We know Sorum n Mckagan stayed till 97. So there might be a lot of backbone work. 

I was under the Impression that Jackie Chan IS Hard Skool and was being worked on around 97.  So if that is true, we've at least been able to hear that song.  We know a decent amount about unreleased songs from the ChiDem era and we know Izzy and Slash say there was stuff being worked on in the mid 90s but we don't seem to know as much about them.

It's not discussed enough, but the band should just dig back to their mid 90s sessions that went no where. Find a badass riff, make a rocker that actually would appeal to the masses, write something new. Axl's Rock The Rock vocals were fucking great. He can still do it in the studio. I believe that. Check out this quote from 96.. "[The 1996 tracks are] not something I would want to approach (without Slash), because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. [...] That's the reason why that material got scrapped." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02). REHASH THAT MATERIAL

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, and Fortus said in late 2014 that he had worked on songs that were conceived when Slash was still in the band (paraphrasing).

There certainly is material from the post UYI/pre CD era. The question is what stage of completion that material is at, especially lyrically/vocally.

Axl apparently wasn't singing until he started doing vocals for ChiDem in '98. IIRC GnR members confirmed he didn't sing a note on any of the material that was being worked on during those '95-'97 sessions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Underhardy said:

It's not discussed enough, but the band should just dig back to their mid 90s sessions that went no where. Find a badass riff, make a rocker that actually would appeal to the masses, write something new. Axl's Rock The Rock vocals were fucking great. He can still do it in the studio. I believe that. Check out this quote from 96.. "[The 1996 tracks are] not something I would want to approach (without Slash), because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. [...] That's the reason why that material got scrapped." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02). REHASH THAT MATERIAL

Ya know...Rock the Rock is basically a preview of what we would of got if Axl/DC has recorded an LP like rumoured...it's basically that. If anything it does show Axl can still (or at least 4/5 years ago) do it in the studio! 😸

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Underhardy said:

I could be wrong but iirc he stated that during the chats here and not in 2002.

15 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Lol because it's so easy. Just take a riff from the 27 years ago and turn it into a song that will appeal to the masses.  Ok lol 

I've got a more general question:

Do you guys think that if the leaks never happened, we still would have gotten single releases?

Because I feel that Axl saw the reception those songs got and thought "Ah, fuck it", let the other guys put their parts on it and just released it. If the leaks never happened I doubt we would have ever seen any new music be released.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Do you guys think that if the leaks never happened, we still would have gotten single releases?

Because I feel that Axl saw the reception those songs got and thought "Ah, fuck it", let the other guys put their parts on it and just released it. If the leaks never happened I doubt we would have ever seen any new music be released.

idk, but Axl did say in 2016 in the China Exchange interview that he would love to release more music and that was 3 years before the Locker leaks so if you believe what he said then, I think he might have released more tunes but the leaks did happen so I guess we'll never know unless someone askes Axl or someday Axl writes about it in a book or something.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Yes, though I'm not overly sure. Although Slash says all this stuff was done during the pandemic, we had confirmation Slash was recording in Axl's home studio in April 2019, and Hard Skool was being rehearsed and on the alt list on the first show of the 2019 tour, less than a month after Hardschool leaked in full. I think at least that one was already done before it actually leaked.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Yes, though I'm not overly sure. Although Slash says all this stuff was done during the pandemic, we had confirmation Slash was recording in Axl's home studio in April 2019, and Hard Skool was being rehearsed and on the alt list on the first show of the 2019 tour, less than a month after Hardschool leaked in full. I think at least that one was already done before it actually leaked.

I forgot about the picture from the amp tech of the Silver Jubilee and Axl’s house and stuff. Maybe they were prepping something earlier than 2020

• Like 1

I’m not sure really, on the one hand I’ve always taken Axl’s comments about releasing new music with the same pinch of salt I take Jimmy Page’s comments about having new projects in the pipeline. However, I imagine releasing new singles to boost interest may have been on the cards anyway after a while. I guess we’ll never know really. It does seem leaks have always played a role in stuff getting released though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Lol because it's so easy. Just take a riff from the 27 years ago and turn it into a song that will appeal to the masses.  Ok lol 

It’s only rock n’ roll… you don’t think these guys can write a rocker in a couple days? Lol.. build a song around a riff. It’s what they do. And by appeal to the masses, I mean put out a traditional rock song, something lacking today. Perhaps was not it. Perhaps had 0% chances from the start of appealing to the masses. 

Edited by Underhardy

2 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

It’s only rock n’ roll… you don’t think these guys can write a rocker in a couple days? Lol.. build a song around a riff. It’s what they do. 

they can, but how much time would be needed for Axl to come up with lyrics and vocal melodies is maybe a relevant question and how long until Axl thinks the instrumental is good enough? maybe shit has changed in the meantime with Axl, but there's nothing to indicate such change has taken place.