The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

18 hours ago, rudolf1978 said:

In a perfect world Axl would use this break or after it to get healthier and fitt body and voice for a new album and  the band would be there working on new songs and preparing themselves for a glorius new album and tour. I mean this tour from 2016? To now has been history because of the reunion but for me the performances were not even close as good as 2010 and nothing like 92. But good to see it. 

Axl is as fit as he's been since 2006, running and looking slim. However his voice is destroyed beyond repair. i hope he continues to be fit, but best to listen to him with the sound off from now on

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

The current mix of Hard Skool is so atrocious I’m not sure it should be included on any new album, unless they get it closer to the 2000 version. They took what I considered and A list song and made it into a C, or B at best. They dumbed it down. 

The 2000 intro didn't really fit the song, so I'm happy they cut it out. Guitars sound more organic with Slash and Fortus playing slightly different parts with less gain. Also, the solo/bridge is WAY better now.

However, I think Hard Skool doesn't cut it to A list songs specifically because of the drums.
There's a kick drum missing which gives it a totally different vibe that does not suit the song.

:frank:<= This guy easily wins the "Worst GN'R drummer" poll. Lord I really despise his work :anger:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nizaraul7 said:

The 2000 intro didn't really fit the song, so I'm happy they cut it out. Guitars sound more organic with Slash and Fortus playing slightly different parts with less gain. Also, the solo/bridge is WAY better now.

However, I think Hard Skool doesn't cut it to A list songs specifically because of the drums.
There's a kick drum missing which gives it a totally different vibe that does not suit the song.

:frank:<= This guy easily wins the "Worst GN'R drummer" poll. Lord I really despise his work :anger:

While I disagree with your outlook on the intro and guitars, I definitely agree the drums are the worst part about the 2021 mix, and the school bell too. I feel the school bell is worse than the overly grand guitar and drum intro the 2000 mix had. It could have worked, if it was an album opener. 

I like the second part of Slash's solo in the 2021 mix, with the transition. 

If it had proper drums (I'm certain Brain did Josh's drums justice), and a decent or better mix, it wouldn't be so bad. The final version sounds like a drum machine. I'm not sure if it's Frank's fault, assuming he was even on there, I think they were processed into oblivion. Frank's parts on CD were not half as bad as what I heard on Hard Skool.

Hard Skool's drums are still a mystery to me. I don't actually think it's a drum machine which I did at one point (besides the intro which I know is) but I think the kick and snare are so compressed and sampled it doesn't really make a difference. But the missing kick drum at 0:16 sure makes me question if it's a real person. I'd love to know if Brain recorded this song, because I would assume they'd use his drums if he did. This is the only song of the 5 Frank(?) is on.

I don't think there is an actual drummer playing during the new hardskool bridge. this is a copy paste job from elsewhere in the song. no drummer on earth (think what you will, frank is a pro drummer, even I like him less than certain gnr drummers) would have played the drums this way. it just don't follow the feel of the song at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmus1 said:

Hard Skool's drums are still a mystery to me. I don't actually think it's a drum machine which I did at one point (besides the intro which I know is) but I think the kick and snare are so compressed and sampled it doesn't really make a difference. But the missing kick drum at 0:16 sure makes me question if it's a real person. I'd love to know if Brain recorded this song, because I would assume they'd use his drums if he did. This is the only song of the 5 Frank(?) is on.

I don’t think we ever got a definitive answer on who plays drums on 2021 Hard Skool. I’d imagine Brain’s take would be close to Josh’s, which was an amazing performance. 

The drums on the Hard Skool demo are so fucking good it's baffling that they were completely rearranged and dumbed down. My ideal version would have the demo drums with the guitar and bass parts from the 2021 mix, and not be brickwalled.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Amir said:

The drums on the Hard Skool demo are so fucking good it's baffling that they were completely rearranged and dumbed down. My ideal version would have the demo drums with the guitar and bass parts from the 2021 mix, and not be brickwalled.

plus, for me, without the school bell, even if it's just a small detail.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Amir said:

Can't someone do it using AI tools?

• Like 1

I don't mind the new version. I'm happy to have the demo as well and prefer the drums and the opening on the demo but Im a fan either way. I always thought the school bell was a nod to Alice's "Schools Out".

The only thing perplexing about the song to me is that I've never actually heard the term or phrase "Hard School" before. Hardcore, old school,  sure,  but never together. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Can't someone do it using AI tools?

Its possible, but to do it properly I need some more time to edit and adjust the drums, did a little mastering job on this in 15 minutes :lol:
From this point on and to the intro, we need to slice and doctor the drum track. The second verse also need some slicing. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GJ--ZuE8hitmILt2J91Kh5_RbIFxGDcz/view?usp=sharing

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

The only thing perplexing about the song to me is that I've never actually heard the term or phrase "Hard School" before. Hardcore, old school,  sure,  but never together. 

It's funny, here in Finland, where I'm from "the hard school of life" is a common saying. So when Axl sings "too hard school", I feel like I know exactly what he's saying.

So it's been surprising to realize that you really don't have that saying in the english language. How come Axl seems to be using these words pretty much the same way we use them in Finland? Maybe he learned it from Michael Monroe! :lol:

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cosmicblues said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxAytMrInFQ

...a little rough around the edges, but this is what I could come up with regarding Hard School with Josh drums. Unfortunately it's still brick-walled but so it goes.

Great job, theres no miracle in what we can do with stems but for die hard purposes it works perfectly 😂

2 hours ago, default_ said:

Its possible, but to do it properly I need some more time to edit and adjust the drums, did a little mastering job on this in 15 minutes :lol:
From this point on and to the intro, we need to slice and doctor the drum track. The second verse also need some slicing. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GJ--ZuE8hitmILt2J91Kh5_RbIFxGDcz/view?usp=sharing

Yeah, that’s a bit messy lol

1 hour ago, cosmicblues said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxAytMrInFQ

...a little rough around the edges, but this is what I could come up with regarding Hard School with Josh drums. Unfortunately it's still brick-walled but so it goes.

Good job. I forgot how I missed that drum section during the solo break. :(

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

It's funny, here in Finland, where I'm from "the hard school of life" is a common saying. So when Axl sings "too hard school", I feel like I know exactly what he's saying.

So it's been surprising to realize that you really don't have that saying in the english language. How come Axl seems to be using these words pretty much the same way we use them in Finland? Maybe he learned it from Michael Monroe! :lol:

Also is common in here in Argentina.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

3 hours ago, Ratam said:

Also is common in here in Argentina.

Also here in the Czech Republic.

• Like 2