The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

I just don't believe there ever was a CD2 in the can. If there was, the quality just wouldn't have been up- to- par. I am thrilled we are getting the Chinese Takeout songs, now, but they didn't warrant an album release. This is the best, lowest pressure way to do it imo. I like them, but this album below would have by- far made the weakest GNR album in the discography and would have not done very well-

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Going Down 

4. Atlas Shrugged

5. Perhaps

6. The General

7. Monsters

I know an album is not 7 songs, but that right there is just too much filler or less- accessible songs to make the meat of an album. I say that as a diehard fan who likes a good amount of them, too. 

Keep putting these finished songs as singles, and maybe release a website- only vinyl album, and I am happy as a clam. Putting all those out as a record in 2010-2014 would not have hit. CD itself seems like a much more cohesive work than these songs. 

If they finished some of the cooler instrumentals, that would have been another story, but who knows.

Hard Skool/Monsters single would have been a great 1- 2 punch, imo rock4. I'm just happy they are both able to be heard, now. Hard Skool is a kickass GNR rocker imo and Monsters is the best overall GNR song since 2008. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I just don't believe there ever was a CD2 in the can. If there was, the quality just wouldn't have been up- to- par. I am thrilled we are getting the Chinese Takeout songs, now, but they didn't warrant an album release. This is the best, lowest pressure way to do it imo. I like them, but this album below would have by- far made the weakest GNR album in the discography and would have not done very well-

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Going Down 

4. Atlas Shrugged

5. Perhaps

6. The General

7. Monsters

I think hardschool, perhaps, monsters and atlas shrugged would have all been very radio friendly, compared to CD which really only had better as an obvious radio track. Going down would have definitely been successful. there was obviously 4/5 more songs that were going to go on the album and as we haven't heard them we can't speculate that it would have been a bad album. if they were equal quality to those 7 you have listed, then it probably would have been on par with CD. plus, if released as an album it would have been mixed like CD and consistent. the versions we have all sound like they are mixed by different people in different studios on different platforms. but realistically in 2010 they would have been mixed and mastered together and had a much more cohesive natural flowing album. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That is possible, but I believe in 2011 an album was more of a possibility than anything else, especially since multiple unheard songs were reported to have been played at the 2010 after-party. I think bandmembers have commented on CD2 being a little more strange or weird, perhaps it was Richard. So far with what we have heard from it, I agree. (Especially after the Village leaks) 

Maybe Axl was getting burned out by then, when putting lyrics to the Buckethead songs, thus the simplicity/repedative nature of them compared to some of the more complex/epic or longer 2008 album tunes. Indeed, Perhaps and Atlas, and Hardschool would balance out the Soul Monster, and The General types of songs. 

I think the simplistic lyrics are more from the desire to have catchier songs. Perhaps, Hard Skool and Absurd also have simple lyrics and are pre-Bucket songs. 

If they were really intending for a 2011 album, I don't think they would introduce the first really unheard track of the batch with Tommy Stinson as lead singer. 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Going Down 

4. Atlas Shrugged

5. Perhaps

6. The General

7. Monsters

I know an album is not 7 songs, but that right there is just too much filler or less- accessible songs to make the meat of an album. I say that as a diehard fan who likes a good amount of them, too. 

Keep putting these finished songs as singles, and maybe release a website- only vinyl album, and I am happy as a clam. Putting all those out as a record in 2010-2014 would not have hit. CD itself seems like a much more cohesive work than these songs. 

If they finished some of the cooler instrumentals, that would have been another story, but who knows.

Hard Skool/Monsters single would have been a great 1- 2 punch, imo rock4. I'm just happy they are both able to be heard, now. Hard Skool is a kickass GNR rocker imo and Monsters is the best overall GNR song since 2008. 

Maybe so, but maybe the tracks would sound more cohesive with that band and it would sound a bit better than what we have now as a package. I believe this tracklist would still need something like Better, meaning a great mid-tempo rock song with a more dynamic structure and some cool vintage Axl's vocals. This would elevate it as an album.

35 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

If they were really intending for a 2011 album, I don't think they would introduce the first really unheard track of the batch with Tommy Stinson as lead singer. 

Maybe they had a version with Axl on lead, or maybe it was never intended as a single or lead single. (Going Down)

I suppose anything is possible, seeing how the first "new" Guns song with Slash and Duff back was Absurd. I believe a fan was told by Axl around that same time (late CD-era) that Axl wanted to get Silkworms out. He must really like that song. It is really fun to listen to live. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Going Down 

4. Atlas Shrugged

5. Perhaps

6. The General

7. Monsters

I disagree. The average quality of the newly released songs is higher than of Chinese. And then comes unreleased bangers from the Locker leaks that would further make a follow-up better than Chinese. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I disagree. The average quality of the newly released songs is higher than of Chinese. And then comes unreleased bangers from the Locker leaks that would further make a follow-up better than Chinese. 

Agreed. It’s hard to compare without vocals, but I prefer a lot of instrumental leaks versus CD instrumentals.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I think if released between 2006-2014, it would have been a Buckethead and Robin heavy masterpiece

Do you know why I doubt that would be the case in the first place? Why should it be a masterpiece when even CD wasn’t? 

I don’t mind Axl’s repetitive lyrics at all and I think aside from the mixing the songs we heard by the NITL lineup were better than most of CD and surely better than their demos.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I was listening to the Village locker leak of Hard Skool, which I found on YouTube.  I haven't listened to this demo since 2021 when the NITL released the official version of it. I must say that the drums are better in the Village leak. However, the demo of the song overall is  a bit of a mess. It's something I didn't realize before the official release of the song was made. I found that the guitar solo was all of the place. Slash and Duff really cleaned it up and made the song tighter. 

• Like 4

Really enjoy the speculative "what could have been" discussion on CD2.  We will never know, of course, unless a fully-mixed version of an already in the can album leaked one day, otherwise, it's impossible to discuss the quality of unheard/non-existent songs.

Having said that, based on what we currently have access to, had some form of this come out in 2012, I believe it would have been really difficult to see these songs making any sort of genuine impact whatsoever.  There wouldn't even have been the anticipation hook that CD had going for it as the first new GN'R record in 17 years.

In terms of the material itself, sure, you have maybe one or two "A List" tracks here that could replace a song or two from CD that would have potentially made the first CD stronger, but, otherwise, these songs sound like what they essentially are: the "B list" from CD; much of the same formula, with songs that, by and large, aren't as good.  Again, just one opinion.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Do you know why I doubt that would be the case in the first place? Why should it be a masterpiece when even CD wasn’t? 

I don’t mind Axl’s repetitive lyrics at all and I think aside from the mixing the songs we heard by the NITL lineup were better than most of CD and surely better than their demos.

CD wasn’t a masterpiece, you say? Get the fuck outta here!

Just playin. 

56 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

for the moment and based of what we know, my opinion : CD II > CD I

I go back and forth, I think we are all so used to CD that something new or fresh from that era with all the anticipation sounds better.

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

:lol:

It has its moments but it sucks mostly and the leftovers in their demo version are an even bigger mess. That’s only my opinion of course.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Just playin. 

I go back and forth, I think we are all so used to CD that something new or fresh from that era with all the anticipation sounds better.

Definately. If Riad wasn't on CD and leaked now, we all would praise it, especially after The General. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Definately. If Riad wasn't on CD and leaked now, we all would praise it, especially after The General. :D

While I enjoy every song on CD, the weakest ones to me are Chinese Democracy, Riad, and IRS.

Edit: The 2000 mixes of the above put the songs a notch or two above the 2008 mixes, in my opinion. 

Edited by Sweersa

On 2/2/2024 at 6:39 PM, Sweersa said:

Maybe they had a version with Axl on lead, or maybe it was never intended as a single or lead single. (Going Down)

I suppose anything is possible, seeing how the first "new" Guns song with Slash and Duff back was Absurd. I believe a fan was told by Axl around that same time (late CD-era) that Axl wanted to get Silkworms out. He must really like that song. It is really fun to listen to live. 

He was correct though. Axl said they were hoping to put out Silkworms soon, in 2013. And it turned out it was their next release, just 'soon' in Guns terms means 8 years later. But it did turn out to be their next single. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, NachoLZ said:

This I Love from 2010 also

We don't know the vocal was done in 2010 and I highly doubt it. I'd say 2007, maybe he was still deciding how to sing it, working on different styles. The remix was made by Brain around 2010 wasn't it though. 

The crap about Axl being in the studio every year thing... 2008 he was AWOL, 2009 the same until the tour. 2010 they were on the road all year, 2011 at Rio doesn't Tommy say something to Axl like "dude I haven't seen you in a year". 12 they were on tour all year and band members repeatedly commented that they wanted to record. And so on. 

I dunno why years later there's this "Axl was in the studio every year recording vocals" myth. 

16 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I dunno why years later there's this "Axl was in the studio every year recording vocals" myth. 

Tommy was in the band for a very long time. His word is credible. Even if he exaggerated a little, if Axl didn’t record for a year or two, that’s still a lot of recording. They can and do record while on the road. It’s not hard for them to book a recording studio anywhere they happen to be on a tour. It’s not like the band is performing 24/7 while on tour. They get breaks. They gotta eat, they gotta sleep. They rest as well and do fun and productive things while on the road.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 4:39 PM, Sweersa said:

it lacks cohesion where a global concept could have made accept the diversity of the songs.
out of 14 tracks almost half are relatively average, pleasant to listen to but without any particular substance in the long term.

I mean, who regularly listens to If the World, Catcher In the Rye, I.R.S. or even Street of Dreams & Madagascar? 

there are very strong things like There Was a Time, Prostitute, This I Love, Better, Shackler's Revenge or even something more controversial like Scraped and you would have something very strong with The General, Perhaps, Hard Skool & Monsters 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

it lacks cohesion where a global concept could have made accept the diversity of the songs.
out of 14 tracks almost half are relatively average, pleasant to listen to but without any particular substance in the long term.

I mean, who regularly listens to If the World, Catcher In the Rye, I.R.S. or even Street of Dreams & Madagascar? 

there are very strong things like There Was a Time, Prostitute, This I Love, Better, Shackler's Revenge or even something more controversial like Scraped and you would have something very strong with The General, Perhaps, Hard Skool & Monsters 

I get where you are coming from, but I would argue most albums, even by the big bands, only have a handful at most of good songs. Tons of filler, with a few single worthy songs. Guns is no exception, though I happen to enjoy most of CD and AFD. I feel UYI is half filler, at best between the two CDs.

I like If The World, I feel it's one of the best mixed songs they have done. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

I do, except for If The World.
Subjectivity, pal.

• Thanks 1