The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

10 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

it lacks cohesion where a global concept could have made accept the diversity of the songs.
out of 14 tracks almost half are relatively average, pleasant to listen to but without any particular substance in the long term.

I mean, who regularly listens to If the World, Catcher In the Rye, I.R.S. or even Street of Dreams & Madagascar? 

there are very strong things like There Was a Time, Prostitute, This I Love, Better, Shackler's Revenge or even something more controversial like Scraped and you would have something very strong with The General, Perhaps, Hard Skool & Monsters 

i do except The Blues

6 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

I mean, who regularly listens to If the World, Catcher In the Rye, I.R.S. or even Street of Dreams & Madagascar? 

Depends on what you mean by listening regularly. All of those songs are on my playlists along with all the other music that I listen to. So I'd say that I listen to them about as regularly as all the other music that I listen to.

If I only listened to the very best of the best music that's ever written, I'd get bored with those songs very quickly. There's not enough AAA+ songs on this planet.

To have enough variety, I need to have songs that are "only" pretty good, on my playlists.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:14 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I just don't believe there ever was a CD2 in the can. If there was, the quality just wouldn't have been up- to- par. I am thrilled we are getting the Chinese Takeout songs, now, but they didn't warrant an album release. This is the best, lowest pressure way to do it imo. I like them, but this album below would have by- far made the weakest GNR album in the discography and would have not done very well-

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Going Down 

4. Atlas Shrugged

5. Perhaps

6. The General

7. Monsters

I know an album is not 7 songs, but that right there is just too much filler or less- accessible songs to make the meat of an album. I say that as a diehard fan who likes a good amount of them, too. 

Keep putting these finished songs as singles, and maybe release a website- only vinyl album, and I am happy as a clam. Putting all those out as a record in 2010-2014 would not have hit. CD itself seems like a much more cohesive work than these songs. 

If they finished some of the cooler instrumentals, that would have been another story, but who knows.

Hard Skool/Monsters single would have been a great 1- 2 punch, imo rock4. I'm just happy they are both able to be heard, now. Hard Skool is a kickass GNR rocker imo and Monsters is the best overall GNR song since 2008. 

I do agree this so far is not a quality album and if this is what Axl presented to the label as a CD 2 then fair of them to knock it back until better quality stuff was added. Same deal with that shocker of a remix album Axl wanted to release.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

it lacks cohesion where a global concept could have made accept the diversity of the songs.
out of 14 tracks almost half are relatively average, pleasant to listen to but without any particular substance in the long term.

there are very strong things like There Was a Time, Prostitute, This I Love, Better, Shackler's Revenge or even something more controversial like Scraped and you would have something very strong with The General, Perhaps, Hard Skool & Monsters 

Did this guy just put Shackler's and Prostitute over Street of Dreams and Maddy?

Also, If The World fucking rules and IRS is the most AFD/UYI sounding track on CD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Did this guy just put Shackler's and Prostitute over Street of Dreams and Maddy?

Also, If The World fucking rules and IRS is the most AFD/UYI sounding track on CD.

I have zero problems with any ChiDem track. Scraped is the weakest for me but I don’t think it’s awful. I even think Riad is a pretty rad song. 

I put Prostitute, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, AND Shacklers in pretty high regard.

I disagree with people who say they’d put all the Chinese takeout songs on the album and replace existing songs. Only one I would do is Scraped with Hard Skool. Even though I like Perhaps and Monsters more than Scraped, that slot should go to a rocker.

If anything, the takeout songs we got and are getting could have been added so Chinese could have been a double album with the top songs dispersed between both records. 

Doesn’t matter now

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Prostitute is the best song on the album tho :shrugs:

CD is a great album, but the biggest problem is that we've heard better versions of almost all those songs. The album versions of Rhiad, Catcher, Street Of Dreams, etc sound so lifeless compared to the demos.

23 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I have zero problems with any ChiDem track. Scraped is the weakest for me but I don’t think it’s awful. I even think Riad is a pretty rad song. 

I put Prostitute, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, AND Shacklers in pretty high regard.

I disagree with people who say they’d put all the Chinese takeout songs on the album and replace existing songs. Only one I would do is Scraped with Hard Skool. Even though I like Perhaps and Monsters more than Scraped, that slot should go to a rocker.

If anything, the takeout songs we got and are getting could have been added so Chinese could have been a double album with the top songs dispersed between both records. 

Doesn’t matter now

If there's anything I'd replace on the album, I'd swap This I Love for Monsters.

The demo version of Hardschool would've been a good replacement for Scraped or Rhiad, but the single version (which is probably close to the 2008 version) isn't good enough to replace either of them IMO.

They should've just dropped 2 albums, 11-12 songs each, in 2008 at the latest.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Prostitute is the best song on the album tho :shrugs:

CD is a great album, but the biggest problem is that we've heard better versions of almost all those songs. The album versions of Rhiad, Catcher, Street Of Dreams, etc sound so lifeless compared to the demos.

If there's anything I'd replace on the album, I'd swap This I Love for Monsters.

The demo version of Hardschool would've been a good replacement for Scraped or Rhiad, but the single version (which is probably close to the 2008 version) isn't good enough to replace either of them IMO.

They should've just dropped 2 albums, 11-12 songs each, in 2008 at the latest.

I like the final Hard Skool a lot. They only thing I prefer on the demo is the drumming

Monsters is far and away the best Guns song in many years. I take back what I said; that should have made CD

A double album would have worked,

Disc 1

Chinese Democracy

Shackler’s Revenge

Better

Atlas Shrugged

Street of Dreams

Riad and the Bedouins

IRS

Zodiac

This I Love

The General

Monsters

Disc 2

Madagascar

Hard Skool

Going Down

Absurd

There Was a Time

Catcher in the Rye

Scraped

Perhaps

Oklahoma

Sorry

If the World

Tonto

Prostitute

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I like the final Hard Skool a lot. They only thing I prefer on the demo is the drumming

Monsters is far and away the best Guns song in many years. I take back what I said; that should have made CD

A double album would have worked,

Disc 1

Chinese Democracy

Shackler’s Revenge

Better

Atlas Shrugged

Street of Dreams

Riad and the Bedouins

IRS

This I Love

The General

Monsters

Disc 2

Madagascar

Hard Skool

Absurd

There Was a Time

Catcher in the Rye

Scraped

Perhaps

Sorry

If the World

Prostitute

"What could've been" is the best way to describe this band. Imagine they actually met the March 6 2007 date and dropped basically another UYI kind of release. 2 CDs, maybe a couple bonus tracks, just clean the slate again.

If they had finished versions of Oklahoma, Tonto or Zodiac, add those somewhere on either album. Going Down definitely should've been somewhere on CD2. OMG and TIL remix could've been bonus tracks. The fact this project dragged on for a decade and Axl's still fucking around with these songs is truly absurd.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I wouldn't replace a single song on ChiDem with any of the "takeout" songs ... 

Agree these are left overs that dont fit with the CD album. They are leftovers for a reason whether its lack of quality content or simply not in the right soundscape of CD. 

Even putting these leftovers into a album together they dont flow or fit in well together. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

"What could've been" is the best way to describe this band. Imagine they actually met the March 6 2007 date and dropped basically another UYI kind of release. 2 CDs, maybe a couple bonus tracks, just clean the slate again.

If they had finished versions of Oklahoma, Tonto or Zodiac, add those somewhere on either album. Going Down definitely should've been somewhere on CD2. OMG and TIL remix could've been bonus tracks. The fact this project dragged on for a decade and Axl's still fucking around with these songs is truly absurd.

Good call, I added those too. All should have come out by 2008

If there was any tracks with recorded Axl vocals, Slash and Duff could have added their parts at some point and released it, like they've done with all their non-band work in the last eight years.

Axl's employees are paid to be in the studio whether they finish anything or not.  They're probably told to blatantly lie to the press and say they're working on new stuff all the time.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

“Not in this lifetime” tour name was a nod to Axl’s response to a GNR reunion way back when. I actually like “What could have been” as the name for a new Guns N’ Roses album. A nod to the wasted years. 

Taylor swift just announced a new album due out in TWO months, that she's been making for the past 2 years, whilst touring the world and re recording her old albums. ARE YOU WATCHING AXL ROSE? It really isn't hard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Taylor swift just announced a new album due out in TWO months, that she's been making for the past 2 years, whilst touring the world and re recording her old albums. ARE YOU WATCHING AXL ROSE? It really isn't hard. 

yeah and nobody will care about her music in 10 years.
she's a decent human being, but still a plastic product of the industry.
she's here to make dollars, not music.

in fact it mainly confirms that to make good music you need time, especially in
an era where magic is hard to find, it's not the sixties or the nineties anymore.

in short, you shot yourself in the foot with that argument. :bitchfight:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2007 was already very late. They had an album before that, with good mixes and a somewhat cohesive soundscape. The late additions by Ron and Frank certainly changed this, but those were not the reason why it wasn't released earlier. IMO, Axl should've managed to release the album at least in 2006, without Ron and Frank. And then release the follow up with both in 2008.

I know, it's just fan-fiction at this point. And we'll sure see a lot of more missed opportunities in the future. It's a shame, because this failed attempts (or lack of) is what causes frustration and even leaks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

yeah and nobody will care about her music in 10 years.
she's a decent human being, but still a plastic product of the industry.
she's here to make dollars, not music.

in fact it mainly confirms that to make good music you need time, especially in
an era where magic is hard to find, it's not the sixties or the nineties anymore.

in short, you shot yourself in the foot with that argument. :bitchfight:

What makes you say people won't care about Taylor Swift's music in ten years? 

Her career has already lasted 18 years! 

I'd say of all the popstars around at the moment she's one who will definitely still be listened to way into the future. She's in Madonna territory in terms of volume of albums and cultural impact. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

She's in Madonna territory in terms of volume of albums and cultural impact. 

but not really for her music but more for all the hype surronding her. or can anyone name more than 2 songs from her? i dont think i could name one.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

It is hard if you've no desire or intention of ever releasing another album. 

Almost 8yrs into the reunion, 2 of which when they couldn't tour and many bands used the time to write/record and we still have nothing to show for it except a few CD leftovers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

but not really for her music but more for all the hype surronding her. or can anyone name more than 2 songs from her? i dont think i could name one.

Well, I mean I could personally.....but that's just me! 

Nah, her albums sell absolutely shit loads. There's a lot of hype sure, but people really do love and buy her music despite that. Musically she's massive- biggest selling artist out there at the moment by quite some way. 

Not really trying to go into a Taylor Swift appreciation thread here.....but she is a genuine musical artist with a vast number of albums behind her, whatever people's personal preference and opinions of the music she makes.

She's probably at the absolute peak of her popularity at the moment- that point that people like Madonna and Michael Jackson had where they almost come to symbolise the whole music industry. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

She’s definitely not in Madonna territory. I couldn’t name a song of hers, either, but most important, I don’t even know what she looks like. I wouldn’t recognize her if she was standing next to me.

• Haha 1