The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Because the label doesn't pay to push the new songs, and without it, regular people only care about the classics. I'm not saying this isn't the band's fault, because it totally is - their relationship with the label and/or how they distribute the songs is part of their burden. If they don't care, why would the label? 

I know a lot of people here dislikes Rick Beato, but he has a pretty cool video about how the local US radios were bought by big players such as Live Nation (or was it Clear Channel? Can't remember), and that made the artist selection in rotation a lot worse, especially considering that local artists just don't get any air time at all.

Indeed. And it's all very tastefully crafted, both in melody and tone.

Can't disagree more. It's quite the opposite to me. Robin's solos are most of the time unpredictable (I remember his Better solo with that descending bend caught everyone by surprise back in 2006), while Bucket commonly relies in his own cliches - which are good, but can't say those are not predictable like his SOD outro, If The World main solo, Madagascar etc. 

To each his own. You are a guitar player, so you would know way more than I in terms of what type of talent level Robin had or has. I just don’t think his solos are memorable. I do love the riff to Better, probably my favorite of his recordings in Guns overall imo and what should have been the lead single and video in 2006 

To be fair, watching videos like NR a million times when it came out as well as my VHS of the Ritz from MTV probably explains why I prefer Slash in Guns over any anyone else. That tone, the feeling of solos, they are so perfect and memorable to me. I got into them when I was 14 and they were just breaking out. Very impressionable age and he has remained my second favorite guitarist after EVH. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

To each his own. You are a guitar player, so you would know way more than I in terms of what type of talent level Robin had or has. I just don’t think his solos are memorable. I do love the riff to Better, probably my favorite of his recordings in Guns overall imo and what should have been the lead single and video in 2006 

To be fair, watching videos like NR a million times when it came out as well as my VHS of the Ritz from MTV probably explains why I prefer Slash in Guns over any anyone else. That tone, the feeling of solos, they are so perfect and memorable to me. I got into them when I was 14 and they were just breaking out. Very impressionable age and he has remained my second favorite guitarist after EVH. 

I understand. I was talking about personal taste and point of view, nothing about technical level. 

To be fair, Slash is still my favorite guitar player. He (and Hendrix, to a less extent) was the reason why I wanted to play guitar in first place. To this day, I still try to sound a bit like him. :)

• Like 1

Robin is a fantastic guitar player and I feel like he unfortunately got overshadowed by Buckethead and then Bumble.

Honestly the band should have been Axl, Brian, Robin, Richard and Tommy.  Dizzy too I guess.

But the 3 guitar thing was completely unnecessary and as great as Bucket was Robin really was a great choice to replace Slash.  Just a fantastic player 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Robin is a fantastic guitar player and I feel like he unfortunately got overshadowed by Buckethead and then Bumble.

Honestly the band should have been Axl, Brian, Robin, Richard and Tommy.  Dizzy too I guess.

But the 3 guitar thing was completely unnecessary and as great as Bucket was Robin really was a great choice to replace Slash.  Just a fantastic player 

What has he recorded outside of CD material that I can listen to?

10 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

It was Fortus they should have ditched. Bucket and Robin all the way.

Fortus is a great guitarist but totally forgettable both in terms of image and guitar style, whereas Bucket and Robin both had very unique styles. Yes different to Slash, but that was a good thing - a carbon copy would never have worked.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

What has he recorded outside of CD material that I can listen to?

Has done score's for movies and games, here is Fink and Buckethead on a track

& this one is just Fink

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

It was Fortus they should have ditched. Bucket and Robin all the way.

Fortus is a great guitarist but totally forgettable both in terms of image and guitar style, whereas Bucket and Robin both had very unique styles. Yes different to Slash, but that was a good thing - a carbon copy would never have worked.

No, it wasn't a good thing to have two weirdos looking completely different from the AFD5. Slash is all about coolness. The other two looked like complete freaks that didn't belong in GNR. Richard fits the mold of Izzy and Gilby.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

LOL, this is the song that reminded me of Me & My Elvis, not Fight Train. Starting at around 1:06.

I can hear it a bit, it's for sure the best one. There is video out there of Bucket recording his stuff on that album but not Fink. Probably quite a few people have never heard of them before.

3 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Has done score's for movies and games, here is Fink and Buckethead on a track

& this one is just Fink

The first one is definitely the better of the two. Bucket is just amazing. The Finck stuff is, again, just ok. It’s not bad at all, just ok in my opinion. I wish Axl would have released an album when Bucket was still in the band. I can only imagine what a follow up could have been like. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Honestly the more time passes the more I find myself towards the mindset of how much less hassle this would have been for Axl picking guitarists if Chinese was a solo project/different band name.  The 3 guitarist thing would have been fine not shakled to the memory of a band known for the legendary lead+rhythm combo. 

He could have had the oddness of Bucket without people having issues of his style not being like traditional GNR, he could have also had Robin for the Slash-esque blues style while avoiding a decent amount of direct comparisons, etc.

For Axl it surely provided more issues than solutions.  Adding a third guitarist who's style wildly deviates from GNR, versus keeping it a two-piece and a closer emulation to the blues rock but without the guys who brought the blues rock into it. 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

The Chi Dem official live band should have been Robin, Richard, Tommy and Brain. Bumble was okay but even Stinson has commented how they were at a true peak right before Hammerstein 06 and how everything got derailed after Thal joined a few days before the shows.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 11:55 PM, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I think if TWAT was cut down for a radio version similar to the length of the demo version, it would’ve done great 

Well the first thing they properly released was Shacklers on rock and/guitar hero and people were not ready for that.

The obvious choices were Better, TIL and Chinese without the intro. There's other great stuff on the album but it's just too different for an old gnr fan to hear and let's be honest some of it is different in a bad way as well, of course most of it is exceptional but I get the reaction 

13 minutes ago, superloconoriega said:

The Chi Dem official live band should have been Robin, Richard, Tommy and Brain. Bumble was okay but even Stinson has commented how they were at a true peak right before Hammerstein 06 and how everything got derailed after Thal joined a few days before the shows.

Talk to Axl. 

The band derailed because of his leadership. It's not on Bumblefoot, he was brought in because Axl wanted something that a two guitar band with traditional blues based players wasn't going to give. And yeah on the 2006 tour, Ron is stepping on some of the songs but by 2009 he was dialed in and adding a lot to gnrs live sound. 

Robin was also almost certainly going to quit, he was clearly looking to distance himself from Slash and wanted to not be under that shadow and that was never going to happen for any gnr player. 

Having said all that, I would have loved hearing the band as a two piece, but I did love the three guitar sound... And to this day prefer it to NITL era gnr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Well the first thing they properly released was Shacklers on rock and/guitar hero and people were not ready for that.

The obvious choices were Better, TIL and Chinese without the intro. There's other great stuff on the album but it's just too different for an old gnr fan to hear and let's be honest some of it is different in a bad way as well, of course most of it is exceptional but I get the reaction 

I agree shacklers was a bad choice for first song. I mean i like it but people expected tomatoe sauce and when they squeezed it out it was whole grain mustard. CD and Better were still different but would have made more sense than shackler

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I've been on this forum for close to 20 years and once a year I always end up commenting on these Ghosts of Mars -songs, and I always say the same thing: These songs are great and this is the sound I thought Chinese Democracy was going to have. Really cool stuff.

And after the locker leaks, it's really cool to hear that a lot of those songs have the same kind of atmosphere. Sigh. All that could have been. (That's some Nine Inch Nails -humor for y'all.)

I think the Ghosts of Mars rhythm parts were basically Anthrax, but I agree, Robin's (and Bucket's rhythm guitar in Kick Ass, to a less extent) riffing were very CD-era style for obvious reasons. I think Bucket's lead guitar also gave it the same vibe. 

Weirdly enough, the same songs were used on the movie without Robin and Bucket's leads. I wonder if those were added later in the process? 

20 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

I agree shacklers was a bad choice for first song. I mean i like it but people expected tomatoe sauce and when they squeezed it out it was whole grain mustard. CD and Better were still different but would have made more sense than shackler

Keep in mind that this wasn't a proper single, but a Rock Band game track (before the DLC with all the other CD songs came out). I think they offered Shacklers because of how hard it is to play it - they also used Riad for the PSP version of the game for the same reason, I believe. 

Having said that, it would make so much more sense to have There Was A Time in Rock Band. Or even Better, but releasing it properly as the first single along with the game.

I guess Axl thought Shacklers had potential because of its chorus? He also had If The World in a DiCaprio movie, Body of Lies. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think the Ghosts of Mars rhythm parts were basically Anthrax, but I agree, Robin's (and Bucket's rhythm guitar in Kick Ass, to a less extent) riffing were very CD-era style for obvious reasons. I think Bucket's lead guitar also gave it the same vibe. 

Weirdly enough, the same songs were used on the movie without Robin and Bucket's leads. I wonder if those were added later in the process? 

Keep in mind that this wasn't a proper single, but a Rock Band game track (before the DLC with all the other CD songs came out). I think they offered Shacklers because of how hard it is to play it - they also used Riad for the PSP version of the game for the same reason, I believe. 

Having said that, it would make so much more sense to have There Was A Time in Rock Band. Or even Better, but releasing it properly as the first single along with the game.

I guess Axl thought Shacklers had potential because of its chorus? He also had If The World in a DiCaprio movie, Body of Lies. 

Who knows...Axl is the king of bizarre and/ or bad choices. XD

• Like 3

How many more tracks do me need to Frankenstein a decent length album? Including perhaps a good Duff solo and the instrumental from Slash's new LP....maybe some of those "studio" mixes of WL etc too....

I'd like another couple plus Monsters and we're good to go? 

20 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

How many more tracks do me need to Frankenstein a decent length album? Including perhaps a good Duff solo and the instrumental from Slash's new LP....maybe some of those "studio" mixes of WL etc too....

I'd like another couple plus Monsters and we're good to go? 

Then you’d still have just a couple of new songs. I don’t care for a record which I know almost every song of, you know? The question is, when will they release Monsters, which song will be the b-side and when do they star working on something new 

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Then you’d still have just a couple of new songs. I don’t care for a record which I know almost every song of, you know? The question is, when will they release Monsters, which song will be the b-side and when do they star working on something new 

Monsters is already done, probably Atlas as well. I wouldn’t mind if they compiled the 6 plus some covers and another song or two for an album. They don’t have to reinvent the wheel just to release an album 

7 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

What if Monsters is the B side to an even better song! Zodiac 13, Seven, Oklahoma, Cuban Skies, etc. :)