3 Desert Island GNR Songs? Your HONEST picks please!

On 3/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, D4NNY said:

image.gif.3f0746c9a35aaf3e263142936833d55a.gif

I think the impulse is to disregard the AFD ‘big 3’ as a basic and ‘beginner’ choice. They’re considered cliche and overplayed -  but really it’s the strength of these monumental singles that has kept GNR firmly in the rock stratosphere for 40 years. My instinct was to go for something less obvious but honestly, every time revisit these massive ‘go to’ hits, it kind of reminds me why people get into them. They manage to be heavy, swaggering rock tracks that are both totally unique, as well as hook-laden and rich in pop sensibility. Totally demonstrative of the magic chemistry and talent within the band. Especially ‘jungle’. Such a genius arrangement and ludicrously confident opener to a debut. 

for that reason, I’m also going for Jungle, SCOM and Paradise City. Yes I love YCBM, Dust N’ Bones, Brownstone, Locomotive, Nightrain… but the older I get and the more distance there is between me and my 15 year old ‘rabid GNR fan’ phase, the more I come to appreciate the sheer impact of those 3 big singles, and how their heavy rotation on Kerrang, Scuzz, VH1, and MTV grabbed a whole new gen of rock fans by the throat (myself included). Those three really earned GNR a seat at the table with the big boys. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

I think the impulse is to disregard the AFD ‘big 3’ as a basic and ‘beginner’ choice. They’re considered cliche and overplayed -  but really it’s the strength of these monumental singles that has kept GNR firmly in the rock stratosphere for 40 years. My instinct was to go for something less obvious but honestly, every time revisit these massive ‘go to’ hits, it kind of reminds me why people get into them. They manage to be heavy, swaggering rock tracks that are both totally unique, as well as hook-laden and rich in pop sensibility. Totally demonstrative of the magic chemistry and talent within the band. Especially ‘jungle’. Such a genius arrangement and ludicrously confident opener to a debut. 

for that reason, I’m also going for Jungle, SCOM and Paradise City. Yes I love YCBM, Dust N’ Bones, Brownstone, Locomotive, Nightrain… but the older I get and the more distance there is between me and my 15 year old ‘rabid GNR fan’ phase, the more I come to appreciate the sheer impact of those 3 big singles, and how their heavy rotation on Kerrang, Scuzz, VH1, and MTV grabbed a whole new gen of rock fans by the throat (myself included). Those three really earned GNR a seat at the table with the big boys. 

I was half joking but I do understand the importance of those 3 big songs. Jungle would easily be in the top 3 for me and forever will be, hell I’d chuck Shacklers in there also so I really can’t judge anyone else’s choices ha! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

I was half joking but I do understand the importance of those 3 big songs. Jungle would easily be in the top 3 for me and forever will be, hell I’d chuck Shacklers in there also so I really can’t judge anyone else’s choices ha! 

Shacklers is a belter! There are some bands where their big hits don’t do their catalogue justice, but as overplayed as they are, those three remain wildly listenable, and weirdly in a lot of ways … almost underrated?.. I’m the same when I think of Van Halen.. I love Jump and Panama as much as I love Dirty Movies or Light up the Sky.. 

Rick Beato does that ‘what makes this song great’ series on YouTube, and even though his sycophantic fanboys in the comments make me vomit, he does tend to do a good job of shining a light on the genius behind songs that have become ‘part of the scenery’. It’s a shame he’ll never do GNR because they’re firm with copyright on YouTube (as they’re entitled to be), but because the arrangements of those big hits are so bizarre and complex, it’s a wonder they’re singles at all, and it’d be good for them to have a bit of public praise/analysis amongst the muso community. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I want YCBM added to my list ,  but he says only 3 ...so is it okay @adamsapple if i drop the last verse to RNDTH and stuff the bridge of YCBM in there instead? . Or will that be too much anxiety inducing for whatever lies beneath ?  :P

7ea2d74079b39968ffa9d5e432880255.jpg

Edited by wendirosez
Forgot to add /@ adam