3 Desert Island GNR Songs? Your HONEST picks please!

Estranged- GnR’s masterpiece in my opinion. I wouldn’t make it with out this song.

Better- Top 5 in the GnR canon, massively overlooked. Should have been the lead single from CD. A great mid tempo rocker that really captures that beautiful melancholy of Axls writing. 

TWAT- This is like Axl’s flawed masterpiece, the soundscape was so ambitious but it doesn’t quite come together… But the mere attempt at creating something that could stand with the likes of Estranged and NR is something I admire. Bucket and Robins lead playing and Axl’s vocals are great… Song is partly let down by its mixing and the weakness of “It was a hard time”chorus… It’s flawed for sure , but I love it.

Edited by chester
  • Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 1:28 AM, Powerage5 said:

Estranged, TWAT, Rocket Queen.

I might change my mind if I chose again in a few months but this is a combination that works for me too. Estranged I would always choose I think but the other two I'm more flexible on - depending on mood I might swap TWAT for Better and RQ for WTTJ/YCBM/Locomotive.

Basically I'm indecisive and haven't really answered the OP. :lol:

• Thanks 2

November Rain (2022 Version), SCOM and Paradise are the three that come to mind.

Not necessarily my favorites, but if we’re talking “desert island” (as in these are the only three I can listen to for the rest of my life), then it’d be those.

If we’re talking just simply my three favorites, then it’d be NR, Rocket Queen and Nightrain.

On the topic of Bad Obsession - I love the Illusion albums and would be more inclined to play them back to back than Appetite, but there are a few tracks on there that sound incredibly dated due to production alone and Bad Obsession is one of them to my ears. Back Off Bitch is another - the Appetite demo of it swings a lot harder than the watered down version that ended up on UYI I.