If you had to pick one for the current tour.....

Izzy or Steven?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok so most people would love to have Steven and Izzy back on stage... But if you had to choose one of them to appear onstage for the rest of the current tour based on the current setlist who would you pick and why?

I know it's unlikely either way but for me i'd choose Steven just for the groove

The setlist would have to be adjusted to accommodate what Steven can actually play, so it would be a much shorter set. With Izzy it doesn't matter that much what is played, he can just sit back on the riser and look cool, strumming the occasional chord with his amp turned down. So my vote definitely goes to Izzy.

• Like 1

Definitely Izzy!

He hasn’t played live with GNR in 4ever.

I would hope his presence in the band would help inspire new songs, heck even if it’s just 14 Years, it would be the bomb. 
I always thought his song writing Ability was under rated. 

• Like 1

The problem with either one of them coming back full time is that the setlist would definitely be heavily restricted.  I can’t really see Steven pulling off a song like Coma or Locomotive on a consistent basis. I mean, if you think GNR is a legacy act now, a full reunion would probably be the last nail in the coffin.  

I don’t really get the negativity towards Frank. I mean, if you were to go to a gnr show today or any in the last 10 years, it’s painfully apparent that Frank is NOT the weak link of the show. 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

The problem with either one of them coming back full time is that the setlist would definitely be heavily restricted.  I can’t really see Steven pulling off a song like Coma or Locomotive on a consistent basis. I mean, if you think GNR is a legacy act now, a full reunion would probably be the last nail in the coffin.  

I don’t really get the negativity towards Frank. I mean, if you were to go to a gnr show today or any in the last 10 years, it’s painfully apparent that Frank is NOT the weak link of the show. 

Finally, someone gets it.

And to answer the original question, Izzy – but as a guest so we can get 14 Years or Dust N' Bones. Give me Richard for the full show any day

Edited by DoMw94

41 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'd rather have Brain and Bucket as guest musicians for Sorry, If The World, Shackler's Revenge, and, most importantly, TWAT. 

I don't think Izzy and Steven could top the above, though I'd welcome both!

I'd love it if Brain did some guest spots, but are either him or GNR interested in that? He was with them a lot last year and they didn't do anything... I don't know if Brain is even interested in drumming these days? Aside from 2 Praxis show, has he played live since that tour with Bucket in 2017? He said when he was preparing for that tour, he didn't even have a practice kit and he hadn't really been drumming for a while. I'd lose my mind if him and Bucket joined for Shackler's and Sorry though.

For the original question: Izzy, but only because Steven probably couldn't do a full tour. He was really inconsistent in the last couple years, sometimes he's great and sometimes he really struggled with the tempos. He seems better again recently but I imagine a whole GNR tour would be rough.

Steven’s presence would have more impact on the sound of the band live. His feel, his groove, his limitations would dictate how the songs are played, and the change would be evident to even a casual fan.

Izzy, less so - sonically, he’d just be another overdriven Gibson guitar onstage, panned somewhere around Slash’ dominant track.. probably, knowing Izzy, Half playing, half miming, and just outlining the chord progressions. 

…but… Izzy wrote and contributed to so many of the songs that the band have been playing night after night, andd tour after tour. His involvement in the conception of the catalogue that has kept this band going for decades cannot be understated. It’s sad that he is not there to play them, to see the new generations of fans enjoying them. Arguably more so than Steven. His fingerprints and DNA are woven into those tracks. It’d be a thrill to see him involved again. Without Izzy, GNR would just be a rock band. He made them rock N’ ROLL. 

• Like 4

To be honest neither really. I've seen the semi reunited GN'R in 17 and 22. No it's not the Appetite/Lies line up but the current line up is great too. Besides Steven has had a few guest spots and Izzy's made it clear it all comes down to money for him. He wouldn't be appearing for the right reasons and he'd just be going thru the motions.

If the opportunity arose get Gilby or Matt up for a few songs.

• Like 1

It's gotta be Izzy on the sheer fact that he's played with Axl and Duff and Slash post GNR breakup, but yet refuses to do it with all 3 at the same time based on money that he wasn't and couldn't be apart of. 

I think the best idea is to play ONE show at say the LA Forum or Dodger Stadium etc etc where the AFD 5 play all of AFD and songs that Adler knows and plays on a regular basis, plus the other GNR songs he plays live like You Could Be Mine and Civil War. Then teach him how to play Patience, or have him sing back up on an acoustic version, reacquaint him with Reckless Life, Nice Boys, Mama Kin and who the fuck knows, maybe even Move To The City. That right there is a 2 and a half hour show. Adler would jump at this oppurtuntiy no doubt in my mind. I literally believe he goes out and plays shows hoping that one day they call him up to join the tour again. He literally only plays one of his songs live, the rest are GNR, or sometimes he even busts out a Highway to Hell cover.. hmmm I wonder who sang for AC/DC again? 

It’s funny how most people really want Frank out because they’re not happy with his “feel” or timings but the overall vote here between a drummer or guitarist returning is to have Izzy back which would mean Fortus would be out. Confusing bunch you are 😅

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’d have to vote Steven. He’s probably more capable of playing the catalog. But in reality I’d choose neither. I’m happy with the guys we got.

Yeah. I voted Steven as him and Iz were the only two options. Steven always looked so happy being back up there with Axl, Duff, Slash and Dizzy. It means more to him on an emotional level.

I'm the same as you. I love the classic eras/line ups with Izzy, Steven, Gilby and Matt. But I'm happy with the line up we've got. Richard's a great lead guitarist as well as rhythm. I like Frank too. He's the right mix of Steven's groove and Matt's technicality. I don't get all the hate he gets. I guess sadly some fans aren't happy unless they're finding something or someone to moan about.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, D4NNY said:

It’s funny how most people really want Frank out because they’re not happy with his “feel” or timings but the overall vote here between a drummer or guitarist returning is to have Izzy back which would mean Fortus would be out. Confusing bunch you are 😅

I disagree. Even if Izzy returned either as a guest or full time Axl's not suddenly just going to let Richard go. Slash likes playing with him too.

Unless Richard n Frank do something really stupid their jobs are safe whatever happens.