Axl might have asked for- and got- a % of alcohol sales at stadium venues

"But I did hear that there was one artist that did that, and that was Axl Rose. Axl Rose was putting GUNS N' ROSES in stadiums — in soccer stadiums and baseball stadiums — selling out 40, 50 thousand people, but he was, like, 'If you want GUNS N' ROSES in your stadium, you're gonna have to give me a piece of the alcohol,' And I heard a rumor that he got a piece of that alcohol percentage, which is really good. Which probably evened out to what [the promoters] were getting from the merch percentage. But not a lot of artists in my genre have that kind of power, if at all.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nintari said:

As someone who's very interested in psychology, it's always puzzling to me how millionaires can be so hung up on money. I mean, I'm well aware that my pathology is unique, and that there are many things at play here but... how? If I woke up tomorrow with Axl's bank account, I can one-hundred-percent guarantee the last thing in the world I would care about is making money. Actually, I'd probably click my heels and start searching for ways to give large portions of it away to those who really need it.

Well my boss gives  his money away. He's much richer than  Axl, though. In fact, he's the 7th richest person in the world. 

Smart guy - alcohol sales might be the most lucrative part of any gig.

It's like when Alec Guinness bargained for 2.25% of the gross box office for being in Star Wars. That made him $100 million in his lifetime (and imagine if he got a cut of the merch sales too!)

Also - maybe that's why there are so many tedious instrumental breaks during these tours - it encourages people to go and get another drink!

Oh Axl - you are a sly one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nintari said:

As someone who's very interested in psychology, it's always puzzling to me how millionaires can be so hung up on money. I mean, I'm well aware that my pathology is unique, and that there are many things at play here but... how? If I woke up tomorrow with Axl's bank account, I can one-hundred-percent guarantee the last thing in the world I would care about is making money. Actually, I'd probably click my heels and start searching for ways to give large portions of it away to those who really need it.

Well, that's your ideology. I'm sure Axl and co are quite generous to charities, but as rich as you think they are you just never know what their costs are for lifestyle etc. Millionaires learn how to spend money.

I'm sure the thinking behind this rumour is that, gnr are bringing in the business so they deserve a cut. I'd rather it in the bands pocket than a drink company.

• Like 2

The band is doing the work. The band is bringing people to the venue. The band is the only reason people are in the venue spending money, both in merch and concessions. If the band played in an abandoned landfill, that's where the fans would go. The venue has nothing to do with it at all.

I don't see a reason why the profits shouldn't be in the hands of the ones who do the actual work and create the value. Capitalism has brainwashed people to think that the person who does the least work should get the most money, that they are entitled to rob artists of the fruits of their labor. Axl is just lucky enough to have power most laborers do not, so he can fight against being taken advantage of like they do to smaller artists constantly. To hate Axl for knowing his worth is to support the oppressive system that is slowly killing the music industry as we speak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

As if anyone truly believes Axl himself is behind this 😂

Touring bands are big businesses, the talent isn't getting that involved, no matter how deluded peoples' thoughts of the all-powerful, all-controlling Axl Rose are 🤣

Somebody had to come up with the idea, and somebody had to approve the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if a financial advisor was the one who brought the idea to him, but at the end of the day nothing is happening in this band without Axl's approval (for better or for worse). He was absolutely involved in the negotiations for this, especially if the money is specifically going directly to Axl instead of the band as a whole (which is inconclusive from this quote alone).

Edited by meadsoap

5 hours ago, Nintari said:

You don't know that Axl doesn't donate large portions of money to charity. 

6 hours ago, Nintari said:

It’s not about the money. It’s about taking what can be took and winning.

11 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Smart guy - alcohol sales might be the most lucrative part of any gig.

It's like when Alec Guinness bargained for 2.25% of the gross box office for being in Star Wars. That made him $100 million in his lifetime (and imagine if he got a cut of the merch sales too!)

Also - maybe that's why there are so many tedious instrumental breaks during these tours - it encourages people to go and get another drink!

Oh Axl - you are a sly one!

I live im a small town in south west Scotland, a grandson of alex guinnes also lives here, its clear to see he didnt see much or any of that money lol

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

As if anyone truly believes Axl himself is behind this 😂

Touring bands are big businesses, the talent isn't getting that involved, no matter how deluded peoples' thoughts of the all-powerful, all-controlling Axl Rose are 🤣

The agent negotiated the deal. The agent also takes direction from management/the artist on any specific demands. It’s not entirely impossible they brought it up. However it was probably not negotiated by them 

The promoter pays the band up front to perform (usually in this case, a lump sum for the entire tour plus a deal for adding shows) It’s up to the promoter to make the $ off of the shows. 

Live Nation has a leg up on most other promoters because they also own the venues and are able to take $ from other avenues such as alcohol, vendors, etc… to help mitigate their risk 

• Like 1

Isn't Duff the "financial guru" in the band?  I know he started his wealth management company Meridian Rock years ago (not sure it it's still around?).  But I bet he woulda been behind this concept as much as or more than Axl, however the name Axl Rose carries more negotiating power than Duff I would assume.  

On 7/15/2023 at 6:02 AM, guitarpatch said:

The agent negotiated the deal. The agent also takes direction from management/the artist on any specific demands. It’s not entirely impossible they brought it up. However it was probably not negotiated by them 

The promoter pays the band up front to perform (usually in this case, a lump sum for the entire tour plus a deal for adding shows) It’s up to the promoter to make the $ off of the shows. 

Live Nation has a leg up on most other promoters because they also own the venues and are able to take $ from other avenues such as alcohol, vendors, etc… to help mitigate their risk 

It's common for promotors to lock artists in 360 deals were the promotor covers all touring costs up front with the promotor taking percentages of merchandise and any of the artists external commercial business dealings in return. 

A number of high profile artists like Billy Corgan and Shirley Manson have spoken about these deals as often the artist walks away with nothing financially in the hand on the back end. 

If the alcohol sales story is true, it further highlights the current state of how the music industry has changed in relation to revenue generated from album sales of the past versus live touring of today. 

There is a great interview with Josh Freese on how he would get up in the mornings and go to work each day to a different recording studio to record music as a studio musician. Those days are long gone, and he had to change to touring on the road with artists to make a living. 

There is also a great interview with Nicole Row on the reasons why she took the job as the touring bass player for Incubus after Panic and the Disco desolved. 

Simply, she needed to pay the bills and that was via touring not recoding music in a studio. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 3

On 7/14/2023 at 8:22 PM, IzzysMissy said:

I’m just gonna say that in the 20+yrs I’ve been around the music business I have never ONCE heard of an act getting in on the booze sales.. bands can barely get 30% of merch in union houses, booze? I just don’t buy it (at least here in the US)

I've never once heard of it in the UK either. I'm calling bullshit on that rumour. For a start, the selling of alcohol at many large venues is itself outsourced to alcohol companies, so I doubt it would even be possible. 

What what possibly make GNR be able to do it anyway, while other far bigger artists aren't? 

Seems like another nonsense 'Axl Rose is.....' rumour mill story to me. 

• Like 1