Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

5 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Or are they? I mean they’re doing nothing and it’s still making headlines so.. all play and no work!

But the song is being heard and they are losing streams. Most people will not search for the leak is the thing gnr are counting on, as well as that the people who have found the leak will still stream the official hd version. 

I think they would look a little better if they acknowledged it though, even in a to gue and cheek way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BluegrassBlues said:

Sorry I know this is a very noob question, but when was Perhaps written? I'm digging what I'm hearing and enjoying it, but what is the time frame on it? Is it about anything or anybody in particular? 

It's a song that was unheard of before the Village leaks (even if the alleged CD2 track list that was talked about earlier in the thread surfaced in 2011, no one at the time had considered "Perhaps" an actual song title). The date of the mix in the Village discs is March 2000, so it was probably written in 1999 the latest.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BingBing said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but each time I hear the song I immediately think of David Bowie. Not sure if it's Axl's vocal delivery or the structure of the song (maybe both?) but it sounds like GNR covering a Bowie bootleg. 'Perhaps' it's just me :wow:

It's like an odd mix of Hey Bulldog and Country House.

10 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're right about that no one seems to realize this, if we didn't know the backstory and it never leaked in 2019 this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion reaching multiple pages, it would maybe be mentioned as a "hmm that's strange but alright" thing. People who never heard the leak would never make a big deal out of it. It's like 2 seconds of a 4 minute song, 1-2 guitar bends and people are like "this is shit" haha.

Agreed, it is still kind of a weird way to start a solo though. Although the guitar is growing on me each time I listen. Not incredibly memorable but it fits the song and not every song (especially one that is under 4 minutes) needs a Slither type solo. 

16 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Or are they? I mean they’re doing nothing and it’s still making headlines so.. all play and no work!

Haha yeah, but the headlines make the whole operation look like a farce. Silence isn’t the response to this kind of blunder. As mentioned they could roll with this funny thing that happened and use it to their advantage. I’d be delighted/surprised if they do the that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

The GNR camp really is a joke without even commenting on all this. It makes them look even more incompetent 🤷‍♂️

That's because they are incompetent. However incompetent you think they are, it is much much worse. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BingBing said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but each time I hear the song I immediately think of David Bowie. Not sure if it's Axl's vocal delivery or the structure of the song (maybe both?) but it sounds like GNR covering a Bowie bootleg. 'Perhaps' it's just me :wow:

I hadn't thought of that about this song. Maybe a little bit.

But I did get a Bowie vibe in Axl's singing on other Village songs, namely State Of Grace (the "now more than ever" part) and Nothing.

22 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're right about that no one seems to realize this, if we didn't know the backstory and it never leaked in 2019 this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion reaching multiple pages, it would maybe be mentioned as a "hmm that's strange but alright" thing. People who never heard the leak would never make a big deal out of it. It's like 2 seconds of a 4 minute song, 1-2 guitar bends and people are like "this is shit" haha.

I believe if it hadn't leaked in 2019, we wouldnt be hearing it now or maybe ever anyway. So be thankful for the leaks!

8 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Agreed, it is still kind of a weird way to start a solo though. Although the guitar is growing on me each time I listen. Not incredibly memorable but it fits the song and not every song (especially one that is under 4 minutes) needs a Slither type solo. 

It starts really weird, and I haven't even heard a better recording. Maybe Slash heard it and even he didn't want to release it like this.

39 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

But the song is being heard and they are losing streams. Most people will not search for the leak is the thing gnr are counting on, as well as that the people who have found the leak will still stream the official hd version. 

I think they would look a little better if they acknowledged it though, even in a to gue and cheek way.

I don't think this is  management issue. The joke boxes weren't supposed to list the songs until the release dates...that was the agreement.  I imagine there are a number of radio stations that have the song today....but they know they can't air it until the release date...that waa the agreement.