Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I don’t remember a laugh at the end of the Village Perhaps. Was it faint? I just remember Axl ending it with an “all alone!” then some whistling instrumentals 

Yeah me too, just listened to it now in fact, what laugh?

1 hour ago, GNFNRUK said:

I’ll say one thing, after hearing Slash’s pathetic uninspired attempt at a solo on ‘Perhaps’, I’m glad he didn’t rejoin the band before Chinese Democracy dropped.

Imagine if he returned in 2006 and replaced the solos on TIL or TWAT with this shit? It’s crazy because his guitar solos on AFD and UYI were really inspired and full of feeling but nothing he’s done ‘solo wise’ since (outside of 1 or 2 VR songs) seems to be anywhere close to that standard…

Axl did not want him on the entire album. 

He had a few specific songs he thought Slash might fit on. I think it was 4 of them. 

Slash had to apologize publicly before Axl would consider it. That did not happen. 

The 06 reunion was only to play a festival, with the idea being that NuGNR would still be a thing, and the reunion was a short term gig. Getting them playing together likely would have resulted in a full on "regrouping" just with the way things work.

The 06 reunion did not happen because Axl was only doing it as a ploy to steal the publishing rights. Slash and Duff may have been off the smack at the time, so unlike when Axl convinced them to sign over a hugely valuable band name, they or someone close to them read the contract and realized Axl was screwing them. Then they got into a fight about Guitar Hero or something. 

I suspect the reason Slash is on all these CD songs is because Axl isn't writing new ones and it's what's left in a close to finished state. Axl either doesn't care anymore about who plays on them, changed his mind about Slash being a fit, or realizes that he obviously cannot release a song during a "regrouping" without Slash.

Hard to argue that TB are bad managers when they've been the management team for a 7 year world tour, being in the top couple of most successful tours of each year (and therefore of all time). There have been no problems, everyone gets to do their side gigs, they're making much more than they did on the UYI tour. There have been a ton of pro shot audio or video, the AFD box set and UYI remasters, vault releases, couple of singles. 

All much more than the prior 8 years since the release of CD. Of course it would be preferable to have a whole album and more vault stuff, and TB's relationship with the fanbase is questionable, but their job isn't to manage the fans. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stro said:

Hard to argue that TB are bad managers when they've been the management team for a 7 year world tour, being in the top couple of most successful tours of each year (and therefore of all time). There have been no problems, everyone gets to do their side gigs, they're making much more than they did on the UYI tour. There have been a ton of pro shot audio or video, the AFD box set and UYI remasters, vault releases, couple of singles. 

All much more than the prior 8 years since the release of CD. Of course it would be preferable to have a whole album and more vault stuff, and TB's relationship with the fanbase is questionable, but their job isn't to manage the fans. 

For real Guns n Roses were a train wreck for 30 years lol 

1 hour ago, Walapino said:

You are assuming a solo he recorded in 2023 has anything to do with what he would have recorded in 2006? mmm doesnt make any sense.

Yes because, like I said in my original post, his solos on that VR stuff from back then were lacking too, outside of 1 or 2 songs. I love the solos on Slither, Fall To Pieces and She Builds Quick Machines but other than that I recall being pretty disappointed with his playing even back then, I think it’s gotten progressively worse though… Don’t even get me started on his wanky improv live solos on TIL or his butchering of Buckets TWAT solo!

I think Slash's solo sounds totally fine with Perhaps, in fact the double tracking the solo and having it be a more bend-oriented long note thing in parts gives me George Harrison vibes in delivery especially the ending bit after the bent double stops

I have always felt the hate for Slash's approach post-reunion has been overdramatic, I am not saying every improv lands but he still sounds good to me overall and definitely not nearly as bad as some make him out to be especially regarding the CD stuff

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

Yes because, like I said in my original post, his solos on that VR stuff from back then were lacking too, outside of 1 or 2 songs. I love the solos on Slither, Fall To Pieces and She Builds Quick Machines but other than that I recall being pretty disappointed with his playing even back then, I think it’s gotten progressively worse though… Don’t even get me started on his wanky improv live solos on TIL or his butchering of Buckets TWAT solo!

The Last Fight is melodic and great. Gravedancers outro solo is awesome too, as far as VR. The last one on Battleground is also one of his best, but since 2014 I can't recall a single solo that I would put along with any of these 3.

2 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

I’ll say one thing, after hearing Slash’s pathetic uninspired attempt at a solo on ‘Perhaps’, I’m glad he didn’t rejoin the band before Chinese Democracy dropped.

Imagine if he returned in 2006 and replaced the solos on TIL or TWAT with this shit? It’s crazy because his guitar solos on AFD and UYI were really inspired and full of feeling but nothing he’s done ‘solo wise’ since (outside of 1 or 2 VR songs) seems to be anywhere close to that standard…

Because he doesnt give a f about cd material. Its outside of his style and theres no emotional attachment to it.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stro said:

It’s a good argument you raise. I have a friend who is close mates with Del James. Del doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, and is very much intimately linked with the success of the touring, as well as being a great middle man common to all three of the big guns and their separate respective management teams. But Dels’ a quiet achiever and just goes about his business. 

The lack of new music over the past few decades really all sits on Axl.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, vloors said:

Because he doesnt give a f about cd material. Its outside of his style and theres no emotional attachment to it.

Then maybe he shouldn't have replaced it? What I'd like to know is what the hell is Axl thinking in green lighting this garbage Slash solo over Robin's perfect solo? Make it make sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then maybe he shouldn't have replaced it? What I'd like to know is what the hell is Axl thinking in green lighting this garbage Slash solo over Robin's perfect solo? Make it make sense. 

Axl has mostly replaced parts with current members. The general public also want Slash and Axl. They are GNR. They have no clue who Robin is. Robins not selling shit really.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

The general public wants a good solo, no matter who is playing it. Robin's lack of success is all on Axl. Axl gave the middle finger to Robin in 2002 when he no-showed Philly and went into hiding for 4 years. Robin gave him a second chance in 2006. Axl failed to release the album, again, and then had the nerve to not want to promote it when it was forced out in 2008. Nice way to treat the band members who were absolutely loyal to you.

I don't believe if you ask the general public who they want playing guitar on a Guns N Roses song that they will say "I don't care, just have a good solo." 

Yeah no they'll take hearing Axl with Slash 99.99% of the time over random guitarists. And that's who guys like Robin are to them, random guys who filled in for Slash, they don't want his shit anywhere near a new GNR single.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2