Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

It sounds a lot better than its brickwalled competition of the time like Death Magnetic! We can debate the endless layers but it's a favoulous master mix! The least we should expect for $13 mil

I remember having to turn down the volume every time I would switch from listening to ChiDem to Death Magnetic. I'm not an audiophile and normally can't tell how compressed something is, but Death Magnetic was particularly egregious. Good thing we got those Guitar Hero mixes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I forgot Caram did Chinese. It’s a great record, but I would argue it’s missing bass. Especially evident when you hear how killer Riad sounded in the locker leak.

Yeah, I generally love ChiDem but Tommy got done dirty, and his bass is part of why the demo of Riad is better than the album cut. His bass is super loud on the demo for the title track, too, but in that case it may be a bit too much, somewhere in between the demo and the album version would likely be ideal.

I got the impression Tommy was probably involved in the mixes of the early demos which would explain why his bass is super loud, similar to how Mike Clink said that for Appetite Axl and Izzy would prefer mixes where they were more prominent, and Slash and Duff would prefer ones where they were the loudest, and Clink had to fight to get a properly balanced mix :P

Edited by Amir

19 minutes ago, Amir said:

Yeah, I generally love ChiDem but Tommy got done dirty, and his bass is part of why the demo of Riad is better than the album cut. His bass is super loud on the demo for the title track, too, but in that case it's may be a bit too much, somewhere in between the demo and the album version would likely be ideal.

You’re 100 percent on this. I  prefer the studio “Chinese Democracy” because the bass was overdone on those earlier versions. But like you said, there is a happy medium there. I listened to the locker leaks a lot back in 2019 and then going back to the studio record, it was really painfully apparent how bass was just non-existent. Buried.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Amir said:

I remember having to turn down the volume every time I would switch from listening to ChiDem to Death Magnetic. I'm not an audiophile and normally can't tell how compressed something is, but Death Magnetic was particularly egregious. Good thing we got those Guitar Hero mixes.

It's amazing the difference a good audio engineer can make....finding revelations in a lot of the postumous Prince releases(before the terrible new estate)  because he'd rush it all out without taking time to get the mixes perfect....perhaps his one flaw....but the trade off was, massive catalogue....Prince recorded/produced /released more songs in 1984 than Guns did in 40 years for example....

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

WZLX is also giving away five pairs of tickets each day through Monday to the Fenway show…..which means sales were sluggish.

They’re a pretty good station, though. 

Meet and greet with Melissa too and I'll fly in! 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN''''

Holy moley Mary Joseph jesus and the wee donkey! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'N' F'NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN''''

giphy.gif