Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

On 8/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, alangarcianr said:

Crucify the dead was written by Ozzy, right?

i remember hearing the song when it was released and thinking ‘damn, that’s some really direct shots at Axl’

one could think that Sorry was about Slash but then you could be wrong. Crucify the dead was totally about Axl 

I had checked the views about 24 hours after it released on YT, it has 1m views.   Which I thought was pretty good numbers.  Haven't checked since day 2 such was about 1.5m views

4 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

So cool to see the song getting attention to youtube "Reaction" content creators :headbang:

Is it?! 

Attention seekers making wide eyed, over the top, exaggerated reactions serves what purpose? I'm utterly confused as to why anyone would spend any time watching that sort of thing. 

Enlighten me! 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Is it?! 

Attention seekers making wide eyed, over the top, exaggerated reactions serves what purpose? I'm utterly confused as to why anyone would spend any time watching that sort of thing. 

Enlighten me! 

As much attention they're seeking, the band/song is also getting attention from people who might not be in the reach of the band recently. For them to see that GN'R has a new song out, I think it gives the song more recognition to the "non-diehards". 

Think of an old neighbor who used to rock in their younger days or kids who have heard of gn'r or saw them in shirts, and they see "Guns N' Roses - Perhaps, New Song Reaction!" on youtube.

It could either be good and bad, but it brings eyes and ears to the band.

PS. I don't give a flying f*** about how they overly react in their videos though, I'm after how these randos think of the band's sound. Like do they think like us here in mygnr or do they try to play it cool like they're expert music critics (I usually stop watching when they try to act cool... perhaps they're being too hard skool (pun intended)).

Edited by GoForJMark

On 8/21/2023 at 3:06 AM, alangarcianr said:

Crucify the dead was written by Ozzy, right?

i remember hearing the song when it was released and thinking ‘damn, that’s some really direct shots at Axl’

one could think that Sorry was about Slash but then you could be wrong. Crucify the dead was totally about Axl 

Though Slash wasn't aware about the lyrics till the recording day. Great song from start to finish.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

As much attention they're seeking, the band/song is also getting attention from people who might not be in the reach of the band recently. For them to see that GN'R has a new song out, I think it gives the song more recognition to the "non-diehards". 

Think of an old neighbor who used to rock in their younger days or kids who have heard of gn'r or saw them in shirts, and they see "Guns N' Roses - Perhaps, New Song Reaction!" on youtube.

It could either be good and bad, but it brings eyes and ears to the band.

PS. I don't give a flying f*** about how they overly react in their videos though, I'm after how these randos think of the band's sound. Like do they think like us here in mygnr or do they try to play it cool like they're expert music critics (I usually stop watching when they try to act cool... perhaps they're being too hard skool (pun intended)).

Fair enough! 

I'm probably too 'old skool' for that sort of stuff. 

I honestly don't care what people think of Perhaps outside of myself and the fanbase, personally. But then I don't go on social media or anything like that, so I've no idea in general what people think of musical acts, other than knowing what is popular sales wise. 

I loved Absurd, apparently lots of people didn't! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Is it?! 

Enlighten me! 

Yes! Exactly. I find these videos so cringe worthy, especially when it's a pretty generic song (not talking about Perhaps, I mean this reaction trend in general). The thumbnail is someone looking shocked and the song is just something like Africa by Toto or Wannabe by Spice Girls. Maybe I'm getting old but I'm cringing just thinking of them. Stopping the video after 7 seconds going "wait, woah... We need to talk about that vocal....". Urgh. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Yes! Exactly. I find these videos so cringe worthy, especially when it's a pretty generic song (not talking about Perhaps, I mean this reaction trend in general). The thumbnail is someone looking shocked and the song is just something like Africa by Toto or Wannabe by Spice Girls. Maybe I'm getting old but I'm cringing just thinking of them. Stopping the video after 7 seconds going "wait, woah... We need to talk about that vocal....". Urgh. 

These videos are basically made to appeal to fans of the artist that want to see people praising the music they like. Just by the thumbnails you can see they're all completely over the top and forced reactions.

I hate those "exaggerated facial expression, slapping my forehead" thumbnails. Funny faces, easy content, short attention spans... This whole global internet culture is infantilizing us all :book::crazy:

But cool to hear/see that casuals are liking the song :headbang:

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 2

Just now, THELINESMAN said:

I love the song. Think it's great. Been singing it loads every day! Hay hayy. Aaaaayyyyyyy :headbang:

I've been listening to it so much, my wife often goes "perhaps I was wrong ayyyyyyy" imitating a cat screaming to mock me :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

These videos are basically made to appeal to fans of the artist that want to see people praising the music they like. Just by the thumbnails you can see they're all completely over the top and forced reactions.

Exactly. Same goes for the “[highly accomplished classically trained musician] hears [popular song or heavy metal tune] for the first time!”

It’s so fans of a band can feel proud of their favorite band because some YouTuber with “credentials” validates it. And most of the time it’s bogus anyway. You can only watch the lead soprano of the Trinity College Choir lose her shit over Dave Mustaine’s astounding vocal prowess before you realize it’s all just bullshit for clicks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pentatonicamenor said:

Great song, I love it, I can't stop singing it, I can't get it out of my head!

Great video too, but...

I find it very curious, there is no scene in the video of Axl, Slash and Duff relaxing, chatting or just hanging out, they are only seen together when they are on stage.

Good point but what I also found strange was the lack of dolphins and Axl jumping into the sea. We need a new overproduced blockbuster movie video with full on fan service please 😂

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I wouldn’t read too much into that. The one thing that shocked me the most about this reunion was that it’s clearly not a bunch of guys who hate each other gritting their teeth through it just to cash the paycheck. They legitimately seem to enjoy each other’s company.

Axl, for one, seems uncomfortable around cameras. He’s always smiling and joking when you see him candidly, but the minute he realizes a camera’s on him, he goes stone faced. They’ve mentioned that they’re in a band group chat where everyone shares jokes and chats. 

Axl’s more private, so I’d imagine any time they *do* get together, it’s probably somewhere outside of the public eye. Furthermore, Slash and Duff are *friend* friends. They hang. Their wives hang.

Axl, at this point, might look at it like “work friends.” And that’s fine! I’ve got work friends. We chill at work, we’ll grab a beer here and there, and we text. But we don’t necessarily get together outside of work. And that’s okay!

I completely agree.

I hadn't read anything about it, but it seems logical, there's no need for cameras when the three of them are just hanging out.

Although it strikes me that in the video there are many moments of all the components, the managers, the whole team, laughing and things like that.

Although I still miss that scene of the three of them relaxing together.

I want to say that since the reunion I have seen them three times live, and I have always seen complicity between all the members of the band.

The good thing with all those reactions for Perhaps is that it brings attention to the band, something they never got since their prime. 

This could be a turning point form them looking more seriously into releasing stuff. We cant deny Perhaps is their most successful release in a long long time, and all those reactions are just part of that.

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, default_ said:

The good thing with all those reactions for Perhaps is that it brings attention to the band, something they never got since their prime. 

This could be a turning point form them looking more seriously into releasing stuff. We cant deny Perhaps is their most successful release in a long long time, and all those reactions are just part of that.

Yeah, definitely. Although, they are doing well enough just touring, but they should strike when the iron is hot and try to seize this momentum. It would be nice to see as a fan.

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Fair enough! 

I'm probably too 'old skool' for that sort of stuff. 

I honestly don't care what people think of Perhaps outside of myself and the fanbase, personally. But then I don't go on social media or anything like that, so I've no idea in general what people think of musical acts, other than knowing what is popular sales wise. 

I loved Absurd, apparently lots of people didn't! 

1 hour ago, default_ said:

And that's what it's about....the music business has changed no end....but it's still a numbers game in whatever field it morphs to.....

Who cares (some are quite funny tho - the multi ones that think Axl found god with the context of the song Perhaps) what the reactors are saying....it's the numbers, the traction, the word of mouth, the spread to other generations that would say if you were off to a GNR gig "oh yea..thought they were dead or retired"....And why does that matter to us? 

Well unless we're possessive (a few of us may be 😉) it's good and necessary for anything to live on, it must reach new generations and audiences and frankly the reaction to Perhaps has already surpassed Abused and Hard School put together. It's the most relevant thing they've managed to do since '94 and the videos and comments put paid to that. We know Axl will do Axl but good reaction certainly can help drive more new songs and good stuff, certainly more chance than if it had died on arrival! Last checked we're at 2 mil and still in top 30 trending on YT....this will surpass the traction HS got in the coming weeks and it's been out almost 2 years....the MV has been a great help and hopefully they keep the positive media trend in the future....

So whether some of the reaction is cringe (some are quite serious analysers actually - shop around!) Or not....it's good for our band to have a wee moment in the sun again....we were top of the worldwide iTunes chart ahead of huge acts like Dua Lipa! What's to complain about? 

Now...Mr General I believe we have an appointment for October 27th... what's that you say? You want to bring it forward? 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1