Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

7 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Okay, so now, after two performances ... this song doesn't work live - at least on in the way Axl does it. Even the verses are bad, he sounds like he's just shouting them. The chorus is a mess.

If you told me that he never tried to sing it before the first performance I would absolutely believe you. Especially since he said that "I'll have to figure out how to sing it".

The chorus 100% needs to be split up. Either do the lyrics or the All Alone-part, both doesn't work.

When did Axl say that???

Yikes! That live version doesn't do the song justice. Well, the vocals don't. Instrumentally it's fine. 

It might sound better if Melissa would handle those "hey hey's" on the verses. I don't know. Axl is all over the place and it doesn't sound as good as it could. They need to do some vocal arranging.

These new songs would be a perfect opportunity to craft material for his current voice :book: 

Edited by jekylhyde

6 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

Perhaps really have more impact than ABSURD and HARDSKOOL. To the point 80% of the youtube "content creators" doesn't even know about ABSURD and Hardskool existence

Amazing what some basic promotion can do 

It's also a better, and catchier, song than the other two which helps 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Yikes! That live version doesn't do the song justice. Well, the vocals don't. Instrumentally it's fine. 

It might sound better if Melissa would handle those "hey hey's" on the verses. I don't know. Axl is all over the place and it doesn't as good as it could. They need to do some vocal arranging.

These new songs would be a perfect opportunity to craft material for his current voice :book: 

I said the same thing in another thread about Melissa doing the "hey hey" part.  I think it would work a lot better 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

It might sound better if Melissa would handle those "hey hey's" on the verses. I don't know. Axl is all over the place and it doesn't sound as good as it could. They need to do some vocal arranging.

That's what rehearsals are for.

Someone should tell Axl that it's NOT cool or edgy to mess around like this on stage instead of the rehearsal room.

How about showing some respect for the ticket buyers?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Compared to other legacy acts like the Chili Peppers and Metallica though, GNR gets little.

The last music video I see by Chilis is The Drummer with 2.9 million views uploaded 10 months ago. Perhaps has a little under 2 million in 5 days. I’m going to assume in 10 months Perhaps will be doing a little better than 2.9

24 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

The last music video I see by Chilis is The Drummer with 2.9 million views uploaded 10 months ago. Perhaps has a little under 2 million in 5 days. I’m going to assume in 10 months Perhaps will be doing a little better than 2.9

Right, but Black Summer, which the Chilis released last year, has upwards of 48 million views. Lux Æterna by Metallica has upwards of 19 million views in 8 months. GN'R will never likely meet those numbers, and Perhaps has fallen in its engagement quite sharply already.

Edit: Spotify has even sharper contrasts, with Black Summer at over 100 million plays and Lux Æterna at over 50 million. Hardskool by comparison has over 16 million. Granted, BS and LA were both released as part of promotional campaigns for albums, but they go to show how poor GNR is doing and just how much more they could do with proper marketing and work.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

They would probably have to start over then. The General very likely has a lot of high pitched screaming as well...

26 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Right, but Black Summer, which the Chilis released last year, has upwards of 48 million views. Lux Æterna by Metallica has upwards of 19 million views in 8 months. GN'R will never likely meet those numbers, and Perhaps has fallen in its engagement quite sharply already.

Edit: Spotify has even sharper contrasts, with Black Summer at over 100 million plays and Lux Æterna at over 50 million. Hardskool by comparison has over 16 million. Granted, BS and LA were both released as part of promotional campaigns for albums, but they go to show how poor GNR is doing and just how much more they could do with proper marketing and work.

Understood but again you’re comparing a 5 day old video with videos over a year old and 8 months old. If Guns could promote a little better then the current 2 million could be a lot more of course. We have the 7” with The General coming out in October so that could also boost the numbers in just a couple of months.

Regardless though, I don’t think the numbers or views really matter, we got new music and that’s all we ‘the fans’ wanted. It’s nice to see good numbers and feel our favourite band is still “relevant” to the casuals or todays current music scene but if we the fans are getting some new music and videos then that is surely all that matters. I didn’t get into them because of popularity, Christ, the crap I got from some friends through secondary school because I followed Nu Guns instead of Metallica or Muse or some shit was astronomical, but I didn’t care 😂 My opinion anyway, I know everyone has their own :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dean said:

We Are The Champions was the B side to We Will Rock You. B sides doesn’t necessarily mean lesser quality.

I'm not a queen fan so that's all foreign to me..they were huge, successful etc...I just couldn't tell you which they released and which they didn't 

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

That's what rehearsals are for.

Someone should tell Axl that it's NOT cool or edgy to mess around like this on stage instead of the rehearsal room.

How about showing some respect for the ticket buyers?

Definitely.

Plus I think rehearsing would make singing new songs more enjoyable for him. I do open mics and small gigs every now and then, and I would be scared shitless if I didn't know my way around the songs and it would be embarrassing to start testing shit while performing. (Granted, I'm not Axl Rose nor do I have the balls of a rockstar.) How can you be so nonchalant when it comes to performing your newest single? :shrugs:

And I'm not trying to be negative or shit on him or the band. It's just a shame that they're not quite there where they could be with the song live :book:

4 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I said the same thing in another thread about Melissa doing the "hey hey" part.  I think it would work a lot better 

I think we have a to remember they've only played it twice..it'll improve over time, hard Skool has and absurd definitely has...it was a mess 1st time out .it rocks now live at a gig, if you know it and aren't a casual just there for scom and NR

• Like 1

Re Axl's voice I think part of it is that he's trying to sing exactly the same way he's always done and he's gotten older. Robert Plant's voice changed over the years and if you listen to him sing the Zeppelin stuff after he got to Axl's age it's obviously different and he's not trying to sing like he was in his 20s and 30s. If Axl changed register or the songs were detuned it may be better. The Tottenham show where Axl sang in his lower register sounded fine. I think working with a vocal coach to rethink how to approach the songs would have some decent results. Hard rock's a hard genre to sing, let alone for three hours a night! I mean kudos to Axl for not compromising though. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I don’t listen to radio, really. I’m not sure Chicago even has a rock station that plays new rock music. There’s one that plays classic rock. So right now, for example, it’s “You Give Love a Bad Name.” Then there’s another station that’s alt rock. They seem to play older stuff too. I see Gotye “Somebody That I Used to Know” and “Blitzkrieg Bop” recently played. 

The best rock station we have is probably WXRT, but they don’t play bands like GNR. And honestly, I am not sure why. They play Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Death Cab, Smashing Pumpkins, Ramones. Bunch of new and old stuff mixed in.

Therein lies the problem with legacy acts and new music. Chicago is a huge city and doesn’t have a radio station that plays new rock music. So I didn’t expect “Perhaps” to be on the radio, really. I wonder if it’s getting rotation on any Sirius stations.

I get that…. But that radio in Montreal was playing Hard Skool at least 3 times a day.🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I guess that would settle any discussion about whether the vocals are new or old. If they were from anytime recent he wouldn't have to figure out how to sing it.

He probably means what vocal part he sings live since there's like 3-4 different vocal tracks on the chorus going at the same time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I guess that would settle any discussion about whether the vocals are new or old. If they were from anytime recent he wouldn't have to figure out how to sing it.

No it doesn't. The studio environment is very different. 

But yeah, I don't think Perhap's vocals are new. 

11 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

There’s some cool, sleazy Slash lead guitar buried under the last chorus. Pretty cool

Yeah. I noticed something was going one there, but had to isolate the guitars with AI to be able to really hear it and learn how to play it. 

• Like 1