Atlas Shrugged (November Release?)

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno, I think the idea of releasing it on vinyl at first and then a later digital rollout is a potential move they might make - what better way of drumming up hype than people getting the vinyl and talking about the song, creating even more anticipation? 

Same reason why I think Perhaps being released on Jukeboxes prior to release was not an accident - it got all GNR fans talking about Perhaps' imminent release way before it was ever released or broadcast via radio

If the leak to jukeboxes was intentional they wouldn't have had it removed. 

6 hours ago, Jim V. said:

Just to be clear, the version of "Shadow of Your Love" released as a single from the Appetite is not just a different mix from the previous versions. This is entirely new, later, different recording.

The three versions were as follows:

"Live" version: This version was actually recorded at Pasha Studios and had audience noise overdubbed. It appeared as a b-side to the "It's So Easy" / "Mr. Brownstone" single and also on the 1988 EP

Sound City version: This was recorded as part of the Sound City sessions, was actually recorded before the the above version. It was issued on the "Live and Let Die" single, and on some versions was tagged with a "live" signification which was odd as there is nothing identifiable about the recording being live, but maybe it was all recorded at once with no overdubs making it technically true, I don't know.

2018 single / Appetite re-issue version:  This was recorded with Mike Clink as apparently a kind of test to see if a collaboration between the band and him would work. This version is my favorite of the versions and honestly sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday. And maybe it was extensively tinkered with shortly before its release? If it was, I suspect we'll never know. I personally don't think anything was added instrumentally or vocally but that the remix was pretty extensive and brought out and/or pushed back things in the mix that might not have had the same choices in '86 or '87. But who knows?

I feel like there’s no way the 2018 version didn’t have a lot of new shit on it. It sounds impeccable, how did that sit unheard for 30+ years? Maybe they had the bones of a Mike Clink recording with new shit on top. Who knows 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I feel like there’s no way the 2018 version didn’t have a lot of new shit on it. It sounds impeccable, how did that sit unheard for 30+ years? Maybe they had the bones of a Mike Clink recording with new shit on top. Who knows 

That's what I think, too. I also think Slash's lead is different to what he would have recorded back in 1986 or so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I know, I expressed myself wrongly. I meant that it was essentially the same song, but rereleased with a newer mix and arguably new overdubs/recordings. The reason why you think it sounds fresh IMO is because of the mix, which is fine by me, but it sticks out when played with the rest of AFD (and it's louder too, IIRC).

Navarro plays from 2:23 to 2:53, but from 2:46 to 2:53 there's Paul Tobias playing lead along with him. 

IMO, Robin is credited because of the wah rhythm guitar in the chorus and maybe the intro (the acoustic guitar and the high notes on electric guitar). Tobias plays the rhythm guitar throughout the whole song, including the clean guitar arpeggio during the section C ("oh, if it opens your eyes..."). Not sure about Gary Sunshine, but maybe he's the main heavy guitar for the verses or just doubled Tobias parts. 

Robin's parts is what I play in the intro here. And I play only Navarro's solo, not the Tobias part:

This is so good! This song confuses me so much, it's the ultimate example of the multiple guitarist approach on Chinese but to the extreme, different guys on little chunks throughout. The one main player being Paul. 

Your video is great, watched it a couple of times just now. Very nice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I know, I expressed myself wrongly. I meant that it was essentially the same song, but rereleased with a newer mix and arguably new overdubs/recordings. The reason why you think it sounds fresh IMO is because of the mix, which is fine by me, but it sticks out when played with the rest of AFD (and it's louder too, IIRC).

Navarro plays from 2:23 to 2:53, but from 2:46 to 2:53 there's Paul Tobias playing lead along with him. 

IMO, Robin is credited because of the wah rhythm guitar in the chorus and maybe the intro (the acoustic guitar and the high notes on electric guitar). Tobias plays the rhythm guitar throughout the whole song, including the clean guitar arpeggio during the section C ("oh, if it opens your eyes..."). Not sure about Gary Sunshine, but maybe he's the main heavy guitar for the verses or just doubled Tobias parts. 

Robin's parts is what I play in the intro here. And I play only Navarro's solo, not the Tobias part:

Hey man that was really cool. Thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UYI4 said:

Are we sure that it’s not the same shadow that was on the live and let die single?  To me it seems the same.

It's different, slash sounds different to me & Adler said a while back the drums have been re recorded, in his view

15 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno, I think the idea of releasing it on vinyl at first and then a later digital rollout is a potential move they might make - what better way of drumming up hype than people getting the vinyl and talking about the song, creating even more anticipation? 

It's a great way to get fewer sales and kill any buzz.

Someone who gets the vinyl will upload The General in a nanosecond to YouTube, SoundCloud, and torrents while someone who wants to purchase the song will not purchase it on a format they care nothing about. Only collectors do that.

If it doesn't get a CD or online release to coinciide with the vinyl, The General is dead on arrival.

For all we know, they have no plans for it. Maybe it's a bone being tossed to starving hardcores who waited 20 years to hear it, and this is their way of doing it.

16 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Same reason why I think Perhaps being released on Jukeboxes prior to release was not an accident - it got all GNR fans talking about Perhaps' imminent release way before it was ever released or broadcast via radio

TB should hire you as a spin doctor.:P

• Like 1

Does anyone have a theory for why Axl's voice sounds so thin and clean in all of these 1999 era songs? He sounds so powerful on Sympathy for the Devil (some of his greatest vocals ever imho) in 1994. TSI and Sympathy sound like classic Axl. By '99, it's like his voice has changed completely. Did that happen from lack of singing? I remember one of the interviews with Youth or Moby saying Axl hadn't sung in years and iirc he only starts laying vocals in '99. A 5 year break from singing essentially.

Was there trouble with his voice even by 1994? The performance at the Elton John rock n roll hall of fame induction seemed a bit .... erm...odd? :lol:

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Does anyone have a theory for why Axl's voice sounds so thin and clean in all of these 1999 era songs? He sounds so powerful on Sympathy for the Devil (some of his greatest vocals ever imho) in 1994. TSI and Sympathy sound like classic Axl. By '99, it's like his voice has changed completely. Did that happen from lack of singing? I remember one of the interviews with Youth or Moby saying Axl hadn't sung in years and iirc he only starts laying vocals in '99. A 5 year break from singing essentially.

Was there trouble with his voice even by 1994? The performance at the Elton John rock n roll hall of fame induction seemed a bit .... erm...odd? :lol:

He addressed this in the China Exchange interview and said it was a conscious choice to preserve his voice, although it wasn't well received by the fans (I guess he meant that singing the songs that way in the studio would allow him to sing them like that live, as well).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

listen to Dead flowers from 94 it’s very clean there too an anxious disease from 96

Edited by AxlRQ93
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I feel somewhat ashamed for being uncertain wether Dave played that whole part, as he is one of my all time favourite guitarists! Nice cover too btw, very well played 👏🏻 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

He addressed this in the China Exchange interview and said it was a conscious choice to preserve his voice, although it wasn't well received by the fans (I guess he meant that singing the songs that way in the studio would allow him to sing them like that live, as well).

This is what always made me wonder if he can still pull it off live but he’s purposely doing to preserve his voice.

But you could also say the songs he recorded with his preserved voice on CD he still can’t sing properly live anymore. 

The last two major interviews Axl had were safe interviews. Nobody dove too deep into anything with him. I’d spend a good hour asking him questions about his voice and singing technique. Because it always seems to dramatically change. 

14 hours ago, UYI4 said:

Are we sure that it’s not the same shadow that was on the live and let die single?  To me it seems the same.

You're asking if the 2018 Appetite re-issue version is the same one from the "Live and Let Die" single? It's not even close. First off, the 2018 single goes over three minutes while the 1991 release is quite a bit shorter. Not to mention, the "Wake up! It's time to play!" vocal from Axl on the 1991 release.

And regardless of anything else, they just really don't sound remotely similar.

• GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, DSTK said:

It's different, slash sounds different to me & Adler said a while back the drums have been re recorded, in his view

My theory has always been that the drums were quantized and sampled to the point where they don't sound like Steven to his own ears; a lot of the snare rolls sound mechanical. I'd also guess the lead guitars were re-recorded. The L/R rhythm guitars are too loose and tonally sound too similar to the 80s to be anything but touched up a bit timing-wise. Probably the same thing for bass, obviously the same for vocals.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:51 AM, Voodoochild said:

So cool man!!

Just heard your "D Tune" cover. Impressive! 

• Thanks 1

We need some more news regarding this :P

I am happy with the release of the Perhaps single with the General as a bonus, but they have to release one more double single or an EP with more tracks. 

Its been too long since the Hardschool EP and last year it was the plan to get out at least 4 songs 

2 hours ago, betterman said:

We need some more news regarding this :P

I am happy with the release of the Perhaps single with the General as a bonus, but they have to release one more double single or an EP with more tracks. 

Its been too long since the Hardschool EP and last year it was the plan to get out at least 4 songs 

I'd be amazed if we anything new in 2023 after The General hits, I'd love to be proven wrong though of course.

Atlas Shrugged would make a great single/EP at some point:

1. Atlas Shrugged
  2. Soul Monster
  3. Perhaps
  4. The General

One can dream!  :axl:

17 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

I'd be amazed if we anything new in 2023 after The General hits, I'd love to be proven wrong though of course.

Atlas Shrugged would make a great single/EP at some point:

1. Atlas Shrugged
  2. Soul Monster
  3. Perhaps
  4. The General

One can dream!  :axl:

Or maybe slightly more realistic, full EP of...(with everything incase you missed it...)

1.Perhaps

2. The General

3. Absurd

4. Hard Skool

5. Bad Obsession (2023 Live)

6. Pretty Tied Up (2023 Live)

7. Anything Goes (2023 Live)

8. Perhaps (2023 Live)

22 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Or maybe slightly more realistic, full EP of...(with everything incase you missed it...)

1.Perhaps

2. The General

3. Absurd

4. Hard Skool

5. Bad Obsession (2023 Live)

6. Pretty Tied Up (2023 Live)

7. Anything Goes (2023 Live)

8. Perhaps (2023 Live)

If the intention is to have a clear-out before recording new material, does this mean they're just going to scrap Atlas altogether? 

I mean, they clearly won't release anything when they're off the road. If its true that they're taking an extended break from touring to work on new material then it doesn't bode well for a potential release of Atlas.

Edited by Towelie