11/05/23 - Toluca, MX - Hell and Heaven Fest

alfierose

18 hours ago, VeeR said:

The General

Axl said something along the lines of, "I'd like to say this is a new song, but whatever..."

Just heard it on Youtube, he said "This is a new song... I'd like to tell you about how it's a new song, but whatever..."

He sounded a little bit angry. Maybe he really wanted the song to be out already on streaming platforms and the delay of the vinyl and release was all against his will...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skamos66 said:

According to Slash from that interview a while back, after this tour wraps up, they are supposed to go into the studio and work on a record. 
(which I think will actually happen considering recent events)

My personal prediction is that they'll work on the record after the holidays and over the summer, drop the album by the end of 2024 and tour start of 2025.

What recent events?

Slash is touring from January through April, and then he'll probably start promoting that 'bluesy' solo album with guest singers.

They could get into a studio between now and the end of the year, but I doubt it. If a new album happens somewhere down the line, great... but don't hold your breath. I think the best case scenario for actual new music would be one song with Axl (and maybe Duff) on Slash's next album.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Just heard it on Youtube, he said "This is a new song... I'd like to tell you about how it's a new song, but whatever..."

He sounded a little bit angry. Maybe he really wanted the song to be out already on streaming platforms and the delay of the vinyl and release was all against his will...

I wish he was a little more clear on what he meant by that.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wish he was a little more clear on what he meant by that.

It sounded like he wasn't allowed to be, honestly there might be some shady shit we don't even know going on since the entire reunion started. If Axl himself can't even say something about a song, someone else could possibly be in charge. Maybe the band has really become a business more than we ever thought and they got paid out to reunite, hell what if the Axl/Slash reconcile wasn't even real they are just bound by contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skamos66 said:

It sounded like he wasn't allowed to be, honestly there might be some shady shit we don't even know going on since the entire reunion started. If Axl himself can't even say something about a song, someone else could possibly be in charge. Maybe the band has really become a business more than we ever thought and they got paid out to reunite, hell what if the Axl/Slash reconcile wasn't even real they are just bound by contract.

That would be unfortunate, hopefully it will come to light eventually.

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That would be unfortunate, hopefully it will come to light eventually.

I'm 99% likely to be overthinking it, It's just so strange for Axl, the obvious head of the band, especially creatively (as he owns those older songs), to not be able to discuss his own band's material. I mean even Fortus's comment replies on Instagram has given hints of it being out of their hands.

Could explain the rise of covers too, as they want to do something new but maybe aren't allowed to for some reason?

Edited by Skamos66

2 minutes ago, Skamos66 said:

I'm 99% likely to be overthinking it, It's just so strange for Axl, the obvious head of the band, especially creatively (as he owns those older songs), to not be able to discuss his own band's material. I mean even Fortus's comment replies on Instagram has given hints of it being out of their hands.

Could explain the rise of covers too, as they want to do something new but maybe aren't allowed to for some reason?

What has Fortus been implying? I wonder if Axl prefers the older CD-era mixes as opposed to the NITL re-works? 

Coma started off strong, then got rougher but he did a good scream for the last line. He really needs to just do that whole outro in the low register and then scream the last line. Especially on a song like that, you don't have casuals expecting the high voice so he can be more free with re-interpreting it.

19 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

That would real cool if that was Brain on the other keys…

I don’t care what anyone says, Axl’s live performance of The General is SPOT ON! That being said, Slash and Duff didn’t seem as energized to play it. The mystery keyboard guy was jamming though! I just hope the comments about Slash kinda playing and not moving or emoting isn’t indicative of other problems though (total speculation.)

Slash has always been a pretty calm dude and only rocks out early in the set with the uptempo rockers. It's always been that way. People just remember him jumping around when they opened in 1991 with Perfect Crime, but not by the end of that show when he's just standing there during Estranged. Also, The General is more akin to Estranged than Nightrain, so it makes sense.

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It sounded like Axl wanted to say more about The General, but something happened that pissed him off. He was ready to say something, then he stopped and said to someone "Can't hear a word you're saying". And then, "Alright, so this is a new song. I would like to tell you how it's a new song, but... whatever. Okay, so this is called The General.

I wonder what he was going to say. That sucks, it could have been a really interesting unknown piece of info about the song but we'll never know since this is the last show for a while.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

LOL no way. At the absolute most, I'd say somebody running the festival may have told them to cut the talking between songs, or that they could not extend curfew, so Axl chose to cut the talking himself in order to save time, but was not happy about it.

Much more likely is that they were having technical issues and somehow it prevented him from talking about it. Possibly the song is on a click track due to the orchestration, and it was already triggered to start so he didn't have time to talk about it.

Yeah, I just finished watching a criminal documentary before checking the forum so may have been a bit quick to theorize XD

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

That would real cool if that was Brain on the other keys…

I don’t care what anyone says, Axl’s live performance of The General is SPOT ON! That being said, Slash and Duff didn’t seem as energized to play it. The mystery keyboard guy was jamming though! I just hope the comments about Slash kinda playing and not moving or emoting isn’t indicative of other problems though (total speculation.)

Slash seemed to be really into it during the first performance at the Hollywood Bowl. My guess is that they were just having issues with the organization of the festival.

21 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Coma started off strong, then got rougher but he did a good scream for the last line. He really needs to just do that whole outro in the low register and then scream the last line. Especially on a song like that, you don't have casuals expecting the high voice so he can be more free with re-interpreting it.

Yes, I don't think many people would mind if he talk-sang the outro with his low voice. It would just be a different delivery and the audience would be able to hear the words better, too.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Skamos66 said:

I strongly believe you are overthinking things. If money was the sole reason for them to reunite, it would have happened sooner. If I remember correctly, Slash stated that they would reunite for the right reasons. This was before 2015. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skamos66 said:

Since this originally was only supposed to be two shows, Slash would've been long gone of he was miserable. He left in the mid 90's, and he wouldn't have stuck around this time, either. He has it pretty good. He has free reign to do his solo stuff, movie company, etc all while performing on the biggest stages in the world. Even after the divorce, he'd have enough money to not live a miserable life doing something that he didn't want to do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skamos66 said:

According to Slash from that interview a while back, after this tour wraps up, they are supposed to go into the studio and work on a record. 
(which I think will actually happen considering recent events)

My personal prediction is that they'll work on the record after the holidays and over the summer, drop the album by the end of 2024 and tour start of 2025.

Yeah you might be right, I think we'll get 2-4 more single releases from the 'vault' Monsters and Atlas Shrugged and maybe State of Grace amongst them. And then they will start working on an album in-between Slash' your. Probably Slash has written a lot of stuff already and it's down to Axl to go into studio. I hope for a lot of productivity!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skamos66 said:

This is about as real a scenario as Steven Tyler canceling a tour because he blew out his voice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoBucky said:

Since this originally was only supposed to be two shows, Slash would've been long gone of he was miserable. He left in the mid 90's, and he wouldn't have stuck around this time, either. He has it pretty good. He has free reign to do his solo stuff, movie company, etc all while performing on the biggest stages in the world. Even after the divorce, he'd have enough money to not live a miserable life doing something that he didn't want to do. 

Idk $ would be a big reason he kept going with GNR. He and SMKC were on around 484k AUD a show split between them judging their 2015 soundwave pay.

With GNR Slash by himself will be getting far more per show.  A estimated 4 million per show revenue split between the band/staff.