Robin Finck online meet and greet

I don't know how I feel about this. Sure it's a great opportunity for the fans, but is Trent paying so little that Robin has to do this? I met quite a few rockstars in person but none of them ever charged money for a conversation. But then again I don't know about that intro platform, maybe it's for a good cause or something, so I better keep my mouth shut lol. Compared to paid meet and greets some artists do nowadays, 100 bucks for a video chat seems fair. On the other hand, that amount of money will get you into any NIN or GNR show, not the best seats, but you will be there in person and they will perform live music for you. Seems a better deal to me.

31 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I don't know how I feel about this. Sure it's a great opportunity for the fans, but is Trent paying so little that Robin has to do this? I met quite a few rockstars in person but none of them ever charged money for a conversation. But then again I don't know about that intro platform, maybe it's for a good cause or something, so I better keep my mouth shut lol. Compared to paid meet and greets some artists do nowadays, 100 bucks for a video chat seems fair. On the other hand, that amount of money will get you into any NIN or GNR show, not the best seats, but you will be there in person and they will perform live music for you. Seems a better deal to me.

Trent probably only pays his musicians during tours. As NIN hasn't toured this year, maybe Robin didn't find a good gig while he's not on tour.

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I wouldn't pay money to spend time with anyone. You don't want to meet me? Fine, no problem.

But charging me, be it for a meet and greet, signing, online chat, whatever...I've always found that just weird. I'm not some sort of underling desperate to have just a few seconds of your time! 

I remember at shows years ago , bands would sell a cd at their merch booth and then sign it afterwards. To me, that's fair. Good for Finck if he can get this money but $100 for a five minute online chat? Pass. I haven't read enough about this to know if there is charity involved but Finck is presumably a multi millionaire so I doubt he needs the money but as I said, more power to him if fans pay. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

I remember at shows years ago , bands would sell a cd at their merch booth and then sign it afterwards. To me, that's fair. Good for Finck if he can get this money but $100 for a five minute online chat? Pass.

Yea, the only time I've paid for a meet and greet was a small show, it was only $10-15 more than regular tickets and they included posters that the band signed (also got a few CD booklets signed). Anything more than that, and I'm not interested. They weren't little promo posters either, it's bigger than my GNR lithographs.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:38 PM, allwaystired said:

I wouldn't pay money to spend time with anyone. You don't want to meet me? Fine, no problem.

But charging me, be it for a meet and greet, signing, online chat, whatever...I've always found that just weird. I'm not some sort of underling desperate to have just a few seconds of your time! 

Feels grubby to me, in all honesty. It isn't limited to musicians either - Arnold was charging £1,000 for a fucking photo are the Arnold's UK last year.

It's sad that a) fans/people will pay this and b) that professional musicians/actors who shouldn't need money want to do this

I remember when talking to fans was kinda part of the job...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, parisrocks said:

It's over Zoom.  Anyone know how to record that shit w/ audio 'cause I'll gladly post it here afterward.

get a camera and hold it up during the zoom session

there's free open source software called OBS

https://obsproject.com/

download that, and when you open it,

press the + button down there, at the bottom left near where it says "Sources". that will open a menu.

image.png

You want at least the audio output capture, and Display capture.
 Maybe add audio input capture to capture what you're saying into the mic, but I haven't tested if it does feedback or messes too much with the audio being output. Also, Display Capture captures your entire screen, so hide any personal info beforehand.

image.png

I tend to press "okay" with the menus that pop up after selecting one of the sources.

(note, with some computers, audio output capture might be only as loud the system's volume, so if you want to capture all the audio without being dampened, you might have to put the volume on blast all the way to 100.)

At the top left, press file, settings, output, recording.  This is where you can adjust where the video is saved, quality of video, and file type to whatever is available there that you want. The "video" section that's in the same column as output also has some more settings.

image.png

Once you've finished applying the settings, press the start recording button, then minimise (do not close) the window. When you have finished recording, open the window again, and the stop recording button will be in the same place as the start recording button. Press that to stop recording and finalise the video.

image.png

There's better tutorials out there, but that's one method. Make sure to do some test recordings beforehand. The use of screen recording software may slow down your computer slightly during the zoom session, so i don't know if it will produce choppy audio. also make sure you have enough file space.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1