THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

30 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

How is it difficult to understand that somebody might not agree with the overall direction the band took vs enjoying some tracks of this era. I can only speak for me and despite that I like TG/Monsters, they still sound sonehow weird. But these are not the only songs I enjoy. Better, Sorry, TWAT ... all excellent songs... I always admited that. But I still wish they'll do something more traditional sounding. No reason to think you can't stay true to your roots and still create epic tracks

It’s amazing how prospective change. 
I’m 30 so started listening to them early 2000s, didn’t even know nu gnr existed and they were my favourite band.

when I eventually bought the new album I was so disappointed, I thought it poppy and overall bad liking only a few songs. 
now in honestly listen to it more than any other album they made and I am very sorry that they didn’t put out a lot of music. 

The start of Monsters sounds like something from Perfect Dark (an N64 game from 2000). That's cool, though. 

5 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I’m still convinced that the outro of Monsters actually melds from Slash’s lead guitar, into some of Robin’s playing - the last 10-15 seconds of the track. It sounds like some of the stuff that Robin plays in Street of Dreams.

Yes, there's definitely a couple of bars in there that similar to his SOD solo.

• Like 3

Is it me or is it strange to criticise the reunion lineup for output when they have given us 5 songs in 7.5 years, when the previous CD lineup gave us ZERO songs in the 7.5 years before that. I get that the NuGuns diehards are in a smirky mode now that Slash/Duff are playing material from that era, and maybe rightly so, but much like NR and Estranged were clearly "Axl" songs, is anyone to deny Slash's contributions to those songs, and what made them so timeless? 

On thing I think is certain. Slash does his best work when Axl is there to help him aspire and push himself to the level of the base material. If Slash is on Monsters, which I believe he is, that is the proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

There’s definitely "oh but it’s all burned down" at times, Idk why you changed it like this. 

I'm trying to find the consensus regarding the lyrics of both songs. I'll definitely keep updating until we're 100% sure of everything. I did hear "all burnt down" at times but now I hear "over now" all the time and so do many people. Could be wrong. We're also unsure about "the monsters can't get me" parts. I did listen to the a-capella version somebody made, it's still very hard to figure out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

How is it difficult to understand that somebody might not agree with the overall direction the band took vs enjoying some tracks of this era. I can only speak for me and despite that I like TG/Monsters, they still sound sonehow weird. But these are not the only songs I enjoy. Better, Sorry, TWAT ... all excellent songs... I always admited that. But I still wish they'll do something more traditional sounding. No reason to think you can't stay true to your roots and still create epic tracks

Zero problems with disagreements and different opinions.

The issue begins when people bully those who like NuGnr band or members of that era.

Cheers buddy.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 3

If the chorus to 'The General' had Axl's 2010 or AC/DC 2016 chainsaw rasp, I'd have far less to complain about. Anyone else feel the same? I don't think the clean voice fits the heaviness of the song, and in the outro it gets a little Herbert The Pervert-y at times. Hate to say that because Axl is my favourite singer of all time, but it's largely the rasp which makes him unique. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

You guys have no idea what you talking about. Listening to this guitar and say that's not Slash is like listening to the vocals of Paradise City and claim that's not Axl. 

Either you have no idea or you're just trolling.

The files are quite compressed so I'm not going to talk about guitar tone though it's clearly different from Slash's usual sound, but the bends mate... they are definitely NOT of his making. I personally feel Robin's hands all over the place.

The bass tone is also a big sellout that these are NuGNR era leaks, and I could swear it's Josh Freese on the drums. Ferrer's toms are always tuned lower than that (wich is why I never liked his work).

I guess we'll have to wait for the official release and see.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nizaraul7 said:

The files are quite compressed so I'm not going to talk about guitar tone though it's clearly different from Slash's usual sound, but the bends mate... they are definitely NOT of his making. I personally feel Robin's hands all over the place.

The bass tone is also a big sellout that these are NuGNR era leaks, and I could swear it's Josh Freese on the drums. Ferrer's toms are always tuned lower than that (wich is why I never liked his work).

Josh?

It's Brain, he started the track. 

6 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

A reunion tour that lasted longer than the lifespan of the original band. KISS No. 2 lol

There has been three separate tours since Slash and Duff rejoined the band though, none of which lasted longer than the classic lineup.

The current lineup has lasted longer, sure, but there hasn't been a single continuous tour since 2016:

Not In This Lifetime... Tour (2016-19)

We're F'N' Back! Tour (2021-22)

2023 Tour (2023)

Not to mention the aborted 2020 tour which wasn't NITL.

Your biggest wars
Written by M Murphy
Inspired by W. A. R. 

All your efforts they ignore..
Don't surprise me anymore..
The process it took to heal..
Isn't for anyone else to feel..
With all the haters keeping score..
While you were fighting your biggest wars..
From their lack of empathy..
To their need to tear down everything..

Not that it should matter much to you..
I understand everything you're going through..
From the battles you fight alone..
To the scars you shouldn't own..
All the critics who don't have a clue..
Couldn't hold a candle to you..
Your sheer will to overcome..
The memories of when you were young...

All your intentions misunderstood..
Mixed with the amount of time it took..
The trail that you have made
most wouldn't be strong enough to take..
With all the slander you have endured..
For all their lack of suffering..
Ignorance & apathy...

I appreciate your perseverance..
For it inspired me more than I could say...
Although I sometimes envy those who couldn't understand..
For their sake I guess it's better off that way..
You helped me through
the darkest moments of my youth..
As well as later years..
While tripping over truths..
From spinning wheels to changing gears..
I owe so much to you..
Simple fact that I'm standing here..
If they only had a clue... 

All your efforts they ignore..
Don't surprise me anymore..
The process it took to heal..
Isn't for anyone else to feel..
With all the haters keeping score..
From their lack of empathy..
To their need to tear down everything..

"i was there for you... It's all I could do" 
10-30-23

41 minutes ago, Nizaraul7 said:

Slash is all over these new leaks. But my first reaction to the bass of The General was that it sounded like Tommy's tone. I know it seems absurd that a new release wouldn't feature Duff, but that is what I was hearing. 

I think the answer is that these are final versions (or close to final versions) that feature a mixture of current and past gunners.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Some issues that are really bugging me:

1) Do we think The General/Monsters will both be on the 7" vinyl?

2) Will the song be added to streaming?

Both tracks / one 9 min track ( whichever it is ) won't fit on a 7" 

28 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Some issues that are really bugging me:

1) Do we think The General/Monsters will both be on the 7" vinyl?

2) Will the song be added to streaming?

I sure hope so. It'd be really frustrating to only get Monsters many months from now, knowing it's more popular among the fans who have heard it than The General

Have lived with the tunes all weekend and really like them both. Monsters def the most accessible of the two. Do wish Axl had done Monsters-bridge style vocal on the General chorus, think that would really elevate it.

There are also some cool vocal overdubs in, I think, the left channel on Monsters - be cool to hear those in better quality.

Overall think they're the best the band has released since the reunion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yes they will, jesus christ. This has been posted about 18274 times in this thread already.

No it won't & it won't happen.  Get back in your box 

Just now, DSTK said:

No it won't & it won't happen either