THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

I love Hard Skool, too. Everyone was fawning over the fucking Checkmate leak and then people got attached to the locker version, maybe?

I feel like the final version is way more cohesive and just better than the locker version (aside from the drums). The intro and bridge on the demo don’t really fit imo

I actually loved the intro on the original version. I loved how it built into that main riff. I get why they changed it to that Duff baseline though 

• Like 1

Just now, Arnuld said:

I actually loved the intro on the original version. I loved how it built into that main riff. I get why they changed it to that Duff baseline though 

Parts of the buildup were cool. I enjoy the demo for what it is, but I’m happy with the final version

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

I love Hard Skool, too. Everyone was fawning over the fucking Checkmate leak and then people got attached to the locker version, maybe?

I feel like the final version is way more cohesive and just better than the locker version (aside from the drums). The intro and bridge on the demo don’t really fit imo

The final version of Hard Skool is fine. Not the worst thing they could've released but far from the best. The drums, vocal effects and overly loud mastering really bring it down compared to the demo. And that stupid bell :lol:

Monsters is the first leftover song that Slash and Duff really fit into, maybe because it's a weird Axl song that pushes them out of their comfort zone, maybe because we never got attached to a demo version, or maybe a bit of both...

7 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Ultimately, even if GNR come out and say it’s one song, I’d like them to be separated on streaming platforms for ease of listening to one or the other.

The perfect compromise would be to have both separated versions and also one epic version that's a combination of both songs. I don't really care about the debate whether or not these are two songs or one. All I know is that I personally much prefer to listen to them back to back. I always listen to music on shuffle when I use streaming services and it would be annoying if the shuffle would play these songs separately.

So it would be cool to have it as one song and as separate songs also. Kinda like What I'd Say, Pt. 1&2 by Ray Charles. Both part 1 and part 2 are on Spotify separately, but you can also listen to them as one song. There's no reason why GNR couldn't do the same with The General and Monsters.

1 hour ago, AtlasIllusions said:

Can someone tell me, was hard school always not "appreciated" by the fandom? I always see so many people on the forum ranking it so low or saying all the "reunion" songs suck. I personally love Hard School and always have since the original leak. I do prefer the original opening rather than the school bell, but still I love the version that was released. 

It’s the spelling of Skool, the song is automatically bad for that and the accompanying school bell

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kitstuai said:

Okay I see. I've heard some people saying they heard the instrumental of Soul Monster and it has nothing to do with our "Monsters" song. 
So, this isn't true I guess (what they said)

Well Soul Monster is an instrumental and I don’t see the comparison between the two. The only thing is that Axl said recorded some mean vocals on Xmas eve, which I’m assuming we have associated to Monsters. Unless I’m  missing something…

22 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think the officially released version of hard skool is way better too.  The old intro was awful lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

I think the officially released version of hard skool is way better too.  The old intro was awful lol

Rather the demo original, guitars build up on the intro is great an the drumming all through that version  is the best. 

Only thing about the official version is the bass line and you can actually here it, it's not buried.. like most of the CD album songs were :(

Plus no school bell sound.....

22 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

It’s the spelling of Skool, the song is automatically bad for that and the accompanying school bell

I read somewhere (maybe here?) it was originally going to be released as ‘Hard F’N Skool’ which would have been even worse. At least Axl’s ‘hey heyyys’ from eye on you got put to good use in the final version I suppose.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, it’s 100% the same singer. :lol:

This 100%. 
about the repeating lick, I’m struggling a bit to play it accurately. But after that there is an interesting run that’s very similar to what he’s been playing live. 

Maybe if it’s played live. 

Haha no way! Is it that American guy from that LA based band with that song called sweet child of mine? His name is AxEl Rose?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The final version of Hard Skool is fine. Not the worst thing they could've released but far from the best. The drums, vocal effects and overly loud mastering really bring it down compared to the demo. And that stupid bell :lol:

Monsters is the first leftover song that Slash and Duff really fit into, maybe because it's a weird Axl song that pushes them out of their comfort zone, maybe because we never got attached to a demo version, or maybe a bit of both...

I just wish they would have stuck with the full dynamic mixes like on CD. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Rather the demo original, guitars build up on the intro is great an the drumming all through that version  is the best. 

Only thing about the official version is the bass line and you can actually here it, it's not buried.. like most of the CD album songs were :(

Plus no school bell sound.....

That school bell is just pure cheese

• GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Well Soul Monster is an instrumental and I don’t see the comparison between the two. The only thing is that Axl said recorded some mean vocals on Xmas eve, which I’m assuming we have associated to Monsters. Unless I’m  missing something…

Yes, you're missing something. The instrumental you're referring to is not Soul Monster.

Maybe it would be a good idea if @D.. started a separate thread with the information from Marco Beltrami and his confirmation that Monsters is Soul Monster, because it will be lost in this thread and every couple of pages someone will ask the same questions about Me and My Elvis saying that Monsters doesn't sound like it etc.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, axlweave said:

Just saw on FB Guns N’ Roses The

Monster with cover art probably fake though 

probably-y855r4.jpg

5 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

Whilst I enjoy all of these ‘new’ songs to some degree (with the exception of ‘Absurd’), I think they all suffer slightly from having either short or repeated verses. I wish Axl had worked on them lyrically a little more.

I guess the "perfectionist" considered those perfect right off the bat.

42 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I don’t get how people think they’re one song in their current state. They are definitely two songs that complement each other because of the subject matter, orchestra arrangement, and when they leaked. Works for me

Also take into account the guy who actually worked on the songs says that they're two songs.

It's still not good enough.

14 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Well Soul Monster is an instrumental

Holy shit...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, you're missing something. The instrumental you're referring to is not Soul Monster.

Maybe it would be a good idea if @D.. started a separate thread with the information from Marco Beltrami and his confirmation that Monsters is Soul Monster, because it will be lost in this thread and every couple of pages someone will ask the same questions about Me and My Elvis saying that Monsters doesn't sound like it etc.

Please feel free to start a Soul Monster thread with the informations provided by Marco Beltrami, it will make for interesting debates for sure.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

The school bell and the spelling bother me, too,  but not to the point to ruin the song for me.

I don't get why it's such a big deal. It's not like there hasn't been cheesy stuff on GN'R songs before. "Cool ranch dressing", for example - I haven't seen many people being so put off by that.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Haven't read any posts over last few days. Wow, so it's been confirmed that Soul Monster is in fact Monsters, this is massive. 

I've learnt a major lesson, not to hype up anything from Bach. The General is  a B>side at best, not melodic and has the same cut and paste feel as IRS. Monster is a solid album track, that chorus is good. 

• Like 1

I wish there was a little bit more lyrics to The General, might of been a good song for Axl to try out guttural growls on as I've always been curious to hear how Axl would have sounded doing a sort of Corey Taylor style scream, i bet he'd have killed it.