Slash played Don’t Damn Me with Todd Kerns on vocals

On 1/31/2024 at 9:01 AM, Voodoochild said:

Not sure if it was posted before, but in Colombia they played the song and Slash improvised the solo again. Safe to assume that it wasn't a mistake, he just wanted to play it different. 

While it is great to hear this played live because I love the instrumentals, listening to the full version, I'm not sure I'd say Todd really "sings" most of the song.  Let's just say Axl would be criticized a lot if GNR did the song and Axl performed it like that.

That said, I'd love for GNR to incorporate it into the set with Duff on vocals and maybe Melissa doubling up on the high parts.  It's a great song and sucks that they've never performed it live.  It is 100% impossible for one vocalist to sing it like it is on the record.  Nobody has enough breath to sing through the length required with no breaks to breathe.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

While it is great to hear this played live because I love the instrumentals, listening to the full version, I'm not sure I'd say Todd really "sings" most of the song.  Let's just say Axl would be criticized a lot if GNR did the song and Axl performed it like that.

That said, I'd love for GNR to incorporate it into the set with Duff on vocals and maybe Melissa doubling up on the high parts.  It's a great song and sucks that they've never performed it live.  It is 100% impossible for one vocalist to sing it like it is on the record.  Nobody has enough breath to sing through the length required with no breaks to breathe.  

What? If Axl could do it as good as Todd everybody would be more than happy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What? If Axl could do it as good as Todd everybody would be more than happy.

I disagree. Most of Todd's delivery was basically talk singing like Axl does at the end of Coma and people always make negative comments about that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I like a few of the songs from Myles Kennedy's Ides Of March album.

I don't think I could stand his singing for more than an hour though, if that. 

His solo shows are waaaay more diverse vocally than SMKC shows. I feel like he feels forced to do that high pitched 80s/90s rock singer thing almost all the time with Slash, but his solo shows feature a lot more of his range. He did a baritone version of the blues song Going Down when I saw him live and it was strong as hell.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

His solo shows are waaaay more diverse vocally than SMKC shows. I feel like he feels forced to do that high pitched 80s/90s rock singer thing almost all the time with Slash, but his solo shows feature a lot more of his range. He did a baritone version of the blues song Going Down when I saw him live and it was strong as hell.

Good to know! Thanks. He did play in Michigan on the other side of the state from me a few years back, but I opted not to go because it was in or near Flint. :P 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:28 PM, Gnrcane said:

I disagree. Most of Todd's delivery was basically talk singing like Axl does at the end of Coma and people always make negative comments about that.

DDM is talk-singing on the album, too. I've sang the song while playing guitar at the same time. It's not impossible at all.

7 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

DDM is talk-singing on the album, too. I've sang the song while playing guitar at the same time. It's not impossible at all.

not really to my ears. a lot of singing parts with a lot of power and a few high pitched screams as well plus the last chorus until the song ends are not "talk singing" imo.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:28 PM, Gnrcane said:

Except it sounds nothing like Todd's speaking voice

15 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

People can talk in different registers. I think the point is that it doesn't have sustained notes like typical singing.

Yes, that was my point along with that if Axl performed DDM exactly the same way, this forum would be filled with critical posts.

Todd also skips some words in order to have the breath to get the lyrics out just like Axl does in the live performances of the YCBM bridge and people negatively comment about that almost every show.

Edited by Gnrcane

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

Yes, that was my point along with that if Axl performed DDM exactly the same way, this forum would be filled with critical posts.

Todd also skips some words in order to have the breath to get the lyrics out just like Axl does in the live performances of the YCBM bridge and people negatively comment about that almost every show.

The difference is that Axl sounds like shit when he gets criticized. Todd did a better job than people thought he would on a song like DDM. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

That's how the studio version is. The song is talk-sang.

8 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

For anyone who wasn't a fan of his vocals here is a version with none.

https://mega.nz/file/YSFw2YLB#2TYGOKbly1de7kY-yjIaHrYKQIHuV969w40QB4uB8sc

Don't damn me, but that was pretty bad. Slash's tone is muddy as hell, you can barely hear him in the mix, and his solo is just "How many notes can I cram in this space?"

• Like 1