Slash played Don’t Damn Me with Todd Kerns on vocals

4 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Contemplating a London ticket just to hear Dont’t Damn Me, but added Bad Apples certainly wouldn’t spoil the bunch either!

You won’t hear either of them in London. You’re getting Perfect Crime instead :P

• ABSUЯD 1

Bad Apples holy shit they really played it. Been waiting for GNR to play this forever but this is the next best thing better than never hearing it in any capacity live. I wonder if Slash remembers he recorded Bad Apples with a strat, that was the first thing I noticed when watching that performance, he probably does not remember much of 1991 lol.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Bad Apples holy shit they really played it. Been waiting for GNR to play this forever but this is the next best thing better than never hearing it in any capacity live. I wonder if Slash remembers he recorded Bad Apples with a strat, that was the first thing I noticed when watching that performance, he probably does not remember much of 1991 lol.

Doubt he forgot about this. He must had to listen to the song again to even remember how to play it, and he would notice the different tone there, especially on the intro.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Doubt he forgot about this. He must had to listen to the song again to even remember how to play it, and he would notice the different tone there, especially on the intro.

It should be named Bad Solos…WTH has happened to Slash’s playing, my god

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

It's strange he's playing it with a Les Paul if he does remember. He always changes to the type of guitar he recorded the songs with, like on YCBM for example, where he changes also.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

9 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

It should be named Bad Solos…WTH has happened to Slash’s playing, my god

I think it's similar to how some people who learn fancy new words can't help but use them in every sentence and make them overly complicated even though they could have used simpler words to convey the same message. 

Slash probably picked up all these fast and complex licks as his playing evolved and cannot stop himself from using them in every solo he plays, even when it doesn't fit the song's melody. I guess he doesn't find the same excitement in playing the slow licks anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's strange he's playing it with a Les Paul if he does remember. He always changes to the type of guitar he recorded the songs with, like on YCBM for example, where he changes also.

He probably didn't plan that far ahead to bring his Strat with him on tour. Might have been too late by the time he remembered that he used it in the song. 

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

2 hours ago, 22frets said:

He probably didn't plan that far ahead to bring his Strat with him on tour. Might have been too late by the time he remembered that he used it in the song. 

Or he doesn't care. When SMKC was doing YCBM on the WOF tour he used Les Paul for that also.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I may have asked this before, but are we certain that he didn't record YCBM at least partially with a regular Les Paul? The studio version doesn't seem to have tremolo bar attacks (besides the feedback in the intro) as far as I can hear. The leads seem to sound like regular LP to me, and those harmonics in the bridge could be just him pushing the neck against his body.

18 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I may have asked this before, but are we certain that he didn't record YCBM at least partially with a regular Les Paul? The studio version doesn't seem to have tremolo bar attacks (besides the feedback in the intro) as far as I can hear. The leads seem to sound like regular LP to me, and those harmonics in the bridge could be just him pushing the neck against his body.

afaik, it's not confirmed what guitar Slash used in the studio for the track. maybe someone else knows, but judging by the way it sounds, I agree it could be just a LP.

I think it was maybe always assumed that Slash used the B.C. Rich Mockingbird just based on live performances and the music video. 

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

afaik, it's not confirmed what guitar Slash used in the studio for the track. maybe someone else knows, but judging by the way it sounds, I agree it could be just a LP.

I think it was maybe always assumed that Slash used the B.C. Rich Mockingbird just based on live performances and the music video. 

Yeah, I know. At the same time, the BC sounds very different to my ears, at least in a live environment.

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, I know. At the same time, the BC sounds very different to my ears, at least in a live environment.

right, it sounds like the Mockingbird on Sucker Train Blues for example, but it sounds like a type of Gibson in YCBM, not even sure if it's a LP, if Slash did use a Gibson (the album versions)

he used a vintage Flying V for the KOHD solos on UYI so who knows. used a bunch of guitars for those albums. that said, if I had to bet on it, I'd say it was a LP for YCBM.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rovim said:

right, it sounds like the Mockingbird on Sucker Train Blues for example, but it sounds like a type of Gibson in YCBM, not even sure if it's a LP, if Slash did use a Gibson (the album versions)

he used a vintage Flying V for the KOHD solos on UYI so who knows. used a bunch of guitars for those albums. that said, if I had to bet on it, I'd say it was a LP for YCBM.

Based on interviews, Slash used a Strat for the lead and Tele for rhythm on Sucker Train Blues. However, I doubt the solo was played on a Strat because it sounds like a Floyd Rose. 

13 minutes ago, 22frets said:

Based on interviews, Slash used a Strat for the lead and Tele for rhythm on Sucker Train Blues. However, I doubt the solo was played on a Strat because it sounds like a Floyd Rose. 

I meant the Sucker Train Blues solo, not just cause of the Floyd Rose, it sounds like when Slash is playing it live imo. do you, by any chance, got any links for those interviews? I think I've missed it.

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I meant the Sucker Train Blues solo, not just cause of the Floyd Rose, it sounds like when Slash is playing it live imo. do you, by any chance, got any links for those interviews? I think I've missed it.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3334/slash-2/

Did you use a variety of guitars for different sounds?
Yes. A good example is the first song on the record, “Sucker Train Blues.” I used a six-string bass, a Telecaster, and a Strat, which is pretty much unheard of, for me. I don’t know where that came from, but it worked out great. 

Apparently the solo was played on a '65 Strat. Interesting. 

https://www.slashparadise.com/discography/albums-velvet-revolver-2004-contraband.php

Sucker Train Blues: "This song developed from one of my riffs, basically. When I presented it to the band, it was 10 times slower, but the sped the whole thing up. This is a very different kind of song for me because i recorded it with an old Fifties Telecaster and played the solo on a '65 Strat. I also put a baritone Music Man underneath the guitars."

Edited by 22frets
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 22frets said:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3334/slash-2/

Did you use a variety of guitars for different sounds?
Yes. A good example is the first song on the record, “Sucker Train Blues.” I used a six-string bass, a Telecaster, and a Strat, which is pretty much unheard of, for me. I don’t know where that came from, but it worked out great. 

Apparently the solo was played on a '65 Strat. Interesting. 

https://www.slashparadise.com/discography/albums-velvet-revolver-2004-contraband.php

Sucker Train Blues: "This song developed from one of my riffs, basically. When I presented it to the band, it was 10 times slower, but the sped the whole thing up. This is a very different kind of song for me because i recorded it with an old Fifties Telecaster and played the solo on a '65 Strat. I also put a baritone Music Man underneath the guitars."

appreciated, very cool tidbit and link (the second one). I stand corrected. would have never thought it was a '65 Strat. 

On 2/28/2024 at 7:18 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Damn.. Wasn't expecting Bad Apples.. That was great..  I couldn't help picturing Axl trying to sing this and how awful it would sound. 

I’m fairly sure he could do a good job in the right circumstances….not 1991 level obviously but a rare outing would be fine.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Haha 1

That Bad Apples rendition was actually fairly solid, I have never been like the biggest fan of the song as I always considered it more on the filler side of UYI, but it does have an energy live that I dig

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

That Bad Apples rendition was actually fairly solid, I have never been like the biggest fan of the song as I always considered it more on the filler side of UYI, but it does have an energy live that I dig

Same with the 1991 Rio version it's fantastic, actually like that better than the studio version

• Like 1