Slash played Don’t Damn Me with Todd Kerns on vocals

5 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Don't damn me, but that was pretty bad. Slash's tone is muddy as hell, you can barely hear him in the mix, and his solo is just "How many notes can I cram in this space?"

I like song but I agree with you on the solo yeah, he sort of goes for the first few notes of it and then just shreds for the rest

12 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

That's how the studio version is. The song is talk-sang.

Some parts yes but a lot of it Axl is singing notes that harmonize with the instrumentals.  The chorus is "sung" on the album as are a lot of the lines like the "it's only for a while..." verses and the similar alternate lyrics verses as well as the slow parts.  Todd talk sung the whole thing.

My point isn't to criticize Todd.  I'm glad Slash is performing DDM and Todd is providing decent vocal accompaniment.   My main point is that Axl would be criticized by many if GNR did the song and he performed it the exact same way.  Axl gets criticized for skipping words in the YCBM bridge and it is impossible to sing DDM at the album tempo without dropping some words for breath so he'd be criticized for that.  I'm sure he'd also be criticized for "Mickey" on the "I know you don't wanna hear me cryin'..." part because he'd probably do that in the "clean" voice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Some parts yes but a lot of it Axl is singing notes that harmonize with the instrumentals.  The chorus is "sung" on the album as are a lot of the lines like the "it's only for a while..." verses and the similar alternate lyrics verses as well as the slow parts.  Todd talk sung the whole thing.

My point isn't to criticize Todd.  I'm glad Slash is performing DDM and Todd is providing decent vocal accompaniment.   My main point is that Axl would be criticized by many if GNR did the song and he performed it the exact same way.  Axl gets criticized for skipping words in the YCBM bridge and it is impossible to sing DDM at the album tempo without dropping some words for breath so he'd be criticized for that.  I'm sure he'd also be criticized for "Mickey" on the "I know you don't wanna hear me cryin'..." part because he'd probably do that in the "clean" voice.

"It's only for a while" is also talk singing. Todd is singing it the same way it is on the album, the only difference is his vocal timbre.

The bridge "dont wanna hear me cryin" is done in his mid register, he wouldn't use falsetto for that.

And of all the things Axl gets criticized for, skipping words in the YCBM bridge is not a common complaint. He's done that since the UYI tour.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vloors said:

Gilby joins slash for night train

Oh damn, crossing my fingers so hard that they'll play it on the European leg too! 

Off topic: is that Todd Kerns' real hair? If so it's an almighty mane for a man his age

• Like 1

Oh wow, Todd singing Nightrain! I see on setlist.fm he did it once before in 2022, I must've missed that. Be curious to see what he'd sound like on YCBM, looks like they haven't played that since Slash rejoined GNR.

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Oh wow, Todd singing Nightrain! I see on setlist.fm he did it once before in 2022, I must've missed that. Be curious to see what he'd sound like on YCBM, looks like they haven't played that since Slash rejoined GNR.

He did a good job with the vocals, it requires a broad vocal range!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 11:37 PM, JasmineSwe said:

Oh damn, crossing my fingers so hard that they'll play it on the European leg too! 

Off topic: is that Todd Kerns' real hair? If so it's an almighty mane for a man his age

Hopefully. Looking at that crowd atmosphere its going to be great.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:36 AM, jacdaniel said:

I’m pretty sure Todd auditioned for VR frontman back in the day?

Yes.

19 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

No I don't think so.

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Me neither. Didn't Fitzy introduced him to Slash?

He did audition (or at least asked to try out) before they got Scott:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4932-2003-01-03-chart-attack-can-todd-kerns-fill-axl-roses-leather-pants

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes.

He did audition (or at least asked to try out) before the got Scott:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4932-2003-01-03-chart-attack-can-todd-kerns-fill-axl-roses-leather-pants

Oh so he was one of the many who were invited to submit an audition tape. I don't think he actually jammed with them though right? Wonder why it didn't go anywhere but I'm glad we got him in SMKC because he's a great bass player too.

• Like 1