Slash played Don’t Damn Me with Todd Kerns on vocals

On 2/29/2024 at 5:31 PM, 22frets said:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3334/slash-2/

Did you use a variety of guitars for different sounds?
Yes. A good example is the first song on the record, “Sucker Train Blues.” I used a six-string bass, a Telecaster, and a Strat, which is pretty much unheard of, for me. I don’t know where that came from, but it worked out great. 

Apparently the solo was played on a '65 Strat. Interesting. 

https://www.slashparadise.com/discography/albums-velvet-revolver-2004-contraband.php

Sucker Train Blues: "This song developed from one of my riffs, basically. When I presented it to the band, it was 10 times slower, but the sped the whole thing up. This is a very different kind of song for me because i recorded it with an old Fifties Telecaster and played the solo on a '65 Strat. I also put a baritone Music Man underneath the guitars."

I don't mean to derail the thread, but in the slashparadise link, Slash said that Do It For The Kids was a song that was developed from his own riff. always thought that Izzy came up with it as he used a variation of it in his own solo tune "Bomb".

I wonder who actually came up with the initial riff idea.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:55 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's strange he's playing it with a Les Paul if he does remember. He always changes to the type of guitar he recorded the songs with, like on YCBM for example, where he changes also.

Not true, he recorded What Do You Want To Be with a Strat, but played it live on a LP. Somebody else mentioned KOHD was done with a Flying V, but he never used that live. Locomotive was recorded on an Explorer, but again, never used one for it live.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

16 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't mean to derail the thread, but in the slashparadise link, Slash said that Do It For The Kids was a song that was developed from his own riff. always thought that Izzy came up with it as he used a variation of it in his own solo tune "Bomb".

I wonder who actually came up with the initial riff idea.

I always thought it’s a typical Slash riff tbh, but I prefer Izzy’s take on that song instrumentally. I like it more the traditional way, while on Contraband it’s very mordern sounding.

Edited by Free Bird

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I always thought it’s a typical Slash riff tbh, but I prefer Izzy’s take on that song instrumentally. I like it more the traditional way, while on Contraband it’s very mordern sounding.

it's like the sound of the whole record, Contraband was wrong for a guitar player like Slash and too constricting. Contraband feels cold if that makes sense. compare it to AFD and how warm in comparsion it sounds.

funny how commercially successful CB was and it seems like it's the most calculated record Slash was ever involved in outside of Gn'R. I still like it, but it doesn't have even a little bit of Izzy's loose style imo.

I do like the fact that everyone in VR was involved in creating it bringing in riffs and song ideas and Scott heavily involved in arranging a bunch of the tunes, editing it, making it sound quite different to what it was originally in its inception stages according to Dave Kushner.

very different to Snakepit which was centered around Slash's playing and both albums weren't muddy like Contraband was. also sounds very mainstream and like it tried hard to be as modern sounding as possible which ironically, to me, made some of the material on the album seem very much of its time, if not dated.

38 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Do It For The Kids is a pretty simple riff that thousands of people have written.

I think the modern feel of Contraband all comes down to the production.

I wonder how many people wrote the Smoke On The Water riff before Blackmore wrote it again. imo it's not just the production, it's the way Slash plays on the record. it doesn't sound like Snakepit or post VR albums like his solo album. sounds like he was holding back, like it's too concise for Slash. 

I don't think there was much room for his classic playing with Scott in the band which you could say came from a more modern background at least compared to Slash and Scott did reject the first batch of tunes they've sent to him that they have worked with Izzy iirc saying it sounded like "Bad Company". 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:07 AM, 22frets said:

I think it's similar to how some people who learn fancy new words can't help but use them in every sentence and make them overly complicated even though they could have used simpler words to convey the same message. 

Slash probably picked up all these fast and complex licks as his playing evolved and cannot stop himself from using them in every solo he plays, even when it doesn't fit the song's melody. I guess he doesn't find the same excitement in playing the slow licks anymore. 

I found this and I think it's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4LuzHEh7L5/?igsh=aDI5NHBwc3RpMWRl

Fill My World has some of the simplest licks from Slash's repertoire. But when playing it live, it seems like he finds it hard to restrain himself from overplaying and replaces the simple melody with poorly-timed fast licks that don't really fit the song. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the show in Amsterdam last tuesday and got treated with Don't Damn Me: nice rendition of a song I never dreamt of hearing live. 

I was also reminded why I never really cared for Slash's work with Myles, can't stand his voice and the lack of energy in this performance live made it even worse. Slash was great as always.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:34 PM, JMB-GNR said:

Went to the show in Amsterdam last tuesday and got treated with Don't Damn Me: nice rendition of a song I never dreamt of hearing live. 

I was also reminded why I never really cared for Slash's work with Myles, can't stand his voice and the lack of energy in this performance live made it even worse. Slash was great as always.

They played it in Copenhagen on Friday too. Todd's vocals were excellent, the final high pitched note was the icing on the cake

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I don't know about this one...not really a "Todd song",  sounds like mediocre karaoke to me.

Meh, I liked it, but each to their own 🤷‍♂️

I'd much rather it get played by a band with Slash in it than not, especially given that GN'R won't touch it these days

• Like 2

Todd doesn't sound bad on Perfect Crime, but it doesn't really fit his voice. That's a harsh song that needs some grit. It's cool that they played it, but Bad Apples was the best GNR song on this tour so far.

I kinda hope Slash brings back another UYI deep cut for his blues tour (Breakdown or You Ain't The First?) but I won't be disappointed if it's all covers. I've only heard a couple Tash Neal songs and he's a decent singer, but I'm really curious about what they'll play - other covers, Snakepit, etc...

I don't think Todd's voice doesn't suit it, he just needs to work on nailing down the vocal melodies. Amazing that Slash managed to even rush the tempo of a song this friggin fast...

27 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Todd doesn't sound bad on Perfect Crime, but it doesn't really fit his voice. That's a harsh song that needs some grit. It's cool that they played it, but Bad Apples was the best GNR song on this tour so far.

I kinda hope Slash brings back another UYI deep cut for his blues tour (Breakdown or You Ain't The First?) but I won't be disappointed if it's all covers. I've only heard a couple Tash Neal songs and he's a decent singer, but I'm really curious about what they'll play - other covers, Snakepit, etc...

I like that he's rediscovered UYI apparently.

Ain't Life Grand would fit the blues tour nicely, with the horns and all.

On 2/29/2024 at 5:55 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's strange he's playing it with a Les Paul if he does remember. He always changes to the type of guitar he recorded the songs with, like on YCBM for example, where he changes also.

I think the reason slash doesn't use Strats or teles live is because they have single-coil pickups. They would cause a lot of unwanted noise due to how loud his amps are cranked. I deduced this from his Gibson Collection video on YT, he talks about trying to make the gold top les Paul with P-90's (a type of single coil-pickup) work with "all the Marshalls."

On 4/22/2024 at 9:24 AM, Swedish said:

After seeing that I'm glad GN'R didn't try it out last summer. No way 2023/2024 Axl can handle that if Todd is struggling with it!

That song is a big ask for anyone, They could take it back a few bpm to make it slightly easier, this has a fuck ton of energy but I feel for Todd having to sing this one. And Axl... I highly doubt he could do it, but I guess it's possible.

• Like 1