Apparently Motley Crüe asked GNR to tour with them

On 3/28/2024 at 1:52 PM, Giblet said:

This kid plays more than Motley Crue do live...

Axl was such a beast vocally then. miss these days.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:46 PM, chester said:

I’m disturbed some would be OK with this…Guns n Roses and Motley Cru may be contemporaries and some members might be friends… But musically and everything the bands stand for and represent are radically different, at least to my taste and sensibilities. 

To the superfan of either band perhaps, and to those at the time in the late 80s when they were very different. But in general they will always be lumped together as the same style of music, from the same scene playing the saame instruments with the same fanbases. Motleys first 2/3 albums were much more punky than their hair metal type sound later on, they definitely have credibility as a top rock band. They're just absolute sellouts as people and dreadful cheats when it comes to playing live. But the show is probably more visually entertaining than gnr. I can see this tour happening in the future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vloors said:

Would be good to through a classic hiphop band in there. Say wutang for example. 

Wu tang, cypress hill, public enemy, ICE T or ICE Cube would all be great fits and add something to the line up and show. However i dont think it would add much to ticket sales. It'd still be a majority older white crowd who would like this. A young black hip hop fan isn't going to go and check out gnr for $200.

I understand the argument people saying that motley sell to the same crowd, but when you have seen gnr already, it gives you more bang for your buck. So i don;t think you really need a crossover audience, you just need to give more incentive to your existing audience to turn up. Any big band that are slightly lesser than GnR in the standings would be great. When i saw GnR at Hyde park in 2023, a big sell was the darkness and the pretenders being on the bill. Ive seen GnR 17 times since 06. and axl is getting worse each time, so if you aren't giving me a brand new album played in full, you have to give me 1/2 other really big live acts to make it a must see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Wu tang, cypress hill, public enemy, ICE T or ICE Cube would all be great fits and add something to the line up and show. However i dont think it would add much to ticket sales. It'd still be a majority older white crowd who would like this. A young black hip hop fan isn't going to go and check out gnr for $200.

I understand the argument people saying that motley sell to the same crowd, but when you have seen gnr already, it gives you more bang for your buck. So i don;t think you really need a crossover audience, you just need to give more incentive to your existing audience to turn up. Any big band that are slightly lesser than GnR in the standings would be great. When i saw GnR at Hyde park in 2023, a big sell was the darkness and the pretenders being on the bill. Ive seen GnR 17 times since 06. and axl is getting worse each time, so if you aren't giving me a brand new album played in full, you have to give me 1/2 other really big live acts to make it a must see. 

To me Motley is really a bad fit and the reason is the well known vocal issues Vince has plus no mick mars (the only talented one live lol)

I can only imagine the media and backlash of a overpriced stadium tour with 2 struggling singers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I wonder why Crue didn’t get Dj to replace Mick. John 5 is much better

John is Nikki's best friend if I remember correctly. 

Despite sounding like ass live, Vince is probably only one who actually likes Mötley's music Lol. After Mötley is not touring, Vince goes on tour himself playing Mötley. Mick likes blues stuff, Tommy likes techno crap and Nikki nowadays probably likes that Sixx:A.M stuff. And since those things didn't work out so good, they had to force Mick to do the reunion until they could force him out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vloors said:

To me Motley is really a bad fit and the reason is the well known vocal issues Vince has plus no mick mars (the only talented one live lol)

I can only imagine the media and backlash of a overpriced stadium tour with 2 struggling singers.

I agree that vince sounds horrific and is a walking meme and that the dismissal of mick mars was a disgrace. But I don't think it makes them a bad fit for a tour. In the modern world people don't seem to care if people suck, as long as they can tell their friends they were there.

When the general public watched GnR at Glasto, everyone said they were a disaster, axl was unlistenable and they embarrassed the festival. And on here we were saying 'wow not bad actually, good show GnR' - Motley are the same. Objectively, like GnR, they now suck live. But most GnR fans are motley fans and vice versa, so they're just going to sing along and have a good time anyway. they'll sell it as the bad boys of 80s hollywood out on a tour no one said could happen blah blah and the public will lap it up. Even though the shows will be as safe as a taylor swift gig. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 6:39 PM, allwaystired said:

I could see this happening a few years down the line. GNR can sell enough tickets on their own to not have to do it, but give it time.....

I'd hate for this to happen because it would mean a reduced "greatest hits" show, granted GNR is probably not capable of continuing their 2 hour 45 minute shows in the future given their age, but a co-headline bill would assure their shows would be 2 hours tops and anything rare or "b-side" would surely get dropped

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, k12 said:

I'd hate for this to happen because it would mean a reduced "greatest hits" show, granted GNR is probably not capable of continuing their 2 hour 45 minute shows in the future given their age, but a co-headline bill would assure their shows would be 2 hours tops and anything rare or "b-side" would surely get dropped

Yep. It is probably inevitable though that they're going to drop the set length at some point anyway I imagine.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:32 PM, Rindmelon said:

I will say this for Vince i like how he changes the words live :D

This video always has me in stitches :lol: He sounded exactly like that when I saw them at a festival last summer. I wouldn't go and see them at a stand alone show even if the tickets were free

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GoBucky said:

Even with his vocal issues, Axl smokes Vince Neil, and it's not even close. 

He's better than Vince, sure.

Just because he doesn't rely on the audience to sing half the words to every song.

He still sounds awful, though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Axl was such a beast vocally then. miss these days.

To the superfan of either band perhaps, and to those at the time in the late 80s when they were very different. But in general they will always be lumped together as the same style of music, from the same scene playing the saame instruments with the same fanbases. Motleys first 2/3 albums were much more punky than their hair metal type sound later on, they definitely have credibility as a top rock band. They're just absolute sellouts as people and dreadful cheats when it comes to playing live. But the show is probably more visually entertaining than gnr. I can see this tour happening in the future. 

I don’t agree. Motley Crue is the stereotypical Hair Metal band and whoever puts GNR in this category has simply no idea.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I don’t agree. Motley Crue is the stereotypical Hair Metal band and whoever puts GNR in this category has simply no idea.

GNR definitely started out as that and had the hair metal style in the first 3 years (85-87) especially Axl with his teased hair, which even made it as late as the WTTJ video shoot. Songs such as Anything Goes and Back Off Bitch are pure hair metal, not really different to songs other bands wrote at the time.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

GNR definitely started out as that and had the hair metal style in the first 3 years (85-87) especially Axl with his teased hair, which even made it as late as the WTTJ video shoot. Songs such as Anything Goes and Back Off Bitch are pure hair metal, not really different to songs other bands wrote at the time.

These songs might have some elements of hair metal but all in all it’s hard rock in my opinion. 

55 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

These songs might have some elements of hair metal but all in all it’s hard rock in my opinion. 

80s hard rock and hair metal are often used as synonyms anyway, the entire term hair metal was not even a genre back then, none of those bands or their songs were refered to as hair metal, it was always hard rock. It's a loose made up bullshit term by journalists to give a disparaging name for the entire scene of rock from the 80s played by pretty boys after grunge exploded, and not really a genre in itself. These bands all played hard rock, or a slight variation of it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

80s hard rock and hair metal are often used as synonyms anyway, the entire term hair metal was not even a genre back then, none of those bands or their songs were refered to as hair metal, it was always hard rock. It's a loose made up bullshit term from journalists to give a disparaging name for the entire scene of rock from the 80s played by pretty boys after grunge exploded, and not really a genre in itself. These bands all played hard rock, or a slight variation of it.

But it’s not only the name. To me there’s a difference in styles between GNR and Mötley.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But it’s not only the name. To me there’s a difference in styles between GNR and Mötley.

On the early albums I would definitely agree, but by the time Dr. Feelgood was released they were pretty much putting out the exact same music. I don't think there's much of a difference between "Anything Goes" and "She Goes Down", it's the same songs you would nowadays categorize as "hair metal", however vague that term is.

GNR had a hair metal phase even though I would say it's pretty short. Most of their music has darker lyrics than most of those bands put out, even if musically there's not much of a difference. But their look and their subject matter made them different to bands like Motley, which would be enough to understandably want to put them in a different category than hair metal.

(still they toured together in 1987)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I hope both bands are just opening acts for the main PPV event....Rose VS Neil. Loser has to retire and sign it legally, promising never to kill our ears again....oh.

motley-crue-signed-a-contract-to-never-tour-again-after-v0-6tocjd1r72ec1.jpeg

What a joke that whole thing was.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

On the early albums I would definitely agree, but by the time Dr. Feelgood was released they were pretty much putting out the exact same music. I don't think there's much of a difference between "Anything Goes" and "She Goes Down", it's the same songs you would nowadays categorize as "hair metal", however vague that term is.

GNR had a hair metal phase even though I would say it's pretty short. Most of their music has darker lyrics than most of those bands put out, even if musically there's not much of a difference. But their look and their subject matter made them different to bands like Motley, which would be enough to understandably want to put them in a different category than hair metal.

(still they toured together in 1987)

But GNR is way more than Anything Goes. 
They arised from that scene but they grown out quickly. There were still some elements in their songs on Appetite but that was already a bit slower, bluesier, less metal and not as polished as the rest of the hairmetal scene.

• Like 3