Apparently Motley Crüe asked GNR to tour with them

I know ticket sales have fallen a bit for gnr, but they are still more than capable of headlining without the help of another act to bump the sales. Motley wouldn't move the needle. They basically share the same fans for 1, 2 motley have an even worse live reputation than gnr.

An example of a good pairing for stadiums would be GNR/Nickelback, complimentary but different style and has a slightly different fanbase and they don't play stadiums so it would be worthwhile for them. Billed as the the two most hated bands in rock. I don't even like Nickelback all that much but I'd be interested in that pairing 

I'd like to see it just so that during GNR's set, before his solo, Axl could introduce Slash as 'our original guitar player' or something snarky like that. :lol:

I wouldn't bother seeing Motley for free these days... but it would be pretty cool if GNR took a page out of their book and did their own kind of 'Crue Fest' tour (similar to Slash's blues festival tour I guess). 3-4 younger opening bands, cut the set down to 2.5 hours of all-killer-no-filler, record and release one of the shows...

24 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd like to see it just so that during GNR's set, before his solo, Axl could introduce Slash as 'our original guitar player' or something snarky like that. :lol:

Come on now, Axl Rose is not allowed to poke fun at bands that got rid of original members.

But yeah this would stink. And as others said, I think the Motley audience basically a more narrow chunk of the GNR audience. The glam people love Appetite for Destruction, but Motley is a joke to a lot of hard rock folk. Although they grabbed Bob Rock to record 3 new songs recently, so kudos for actually doing that.

Edited by bmus1

41 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wouldn't bother seeing Motley for free these days... but it would be pretty cool if GNR took a page out of their book and did their own kind of 'Crue Fest' tour (similar to Slash's blues festival tour I guess). 3-4 younger opening bands, cut the set down to 2.5 hours of all-killer-no-filler, record and release one of the shows...

Slash technically isn’t the original GnR guitarist though ;)

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slash technically isn’t the original GnR guitarist though ;)

If it irritates Nikki and makes them look like cunts for firing Mick, I'm ok with bending the truth a bit.

But we can always hope for a Paul Huge guest spot, too. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I know ticket sales have fallen a bit for gnr, but they are still more than capable of headlining without the help of another act to bump the sales. Motley wouldn't move the needle. They basically share the same fans for 1, 2 motley have an even worse live reputation than gnr.

An example of a good pairing for stadiums would be GNR/Nickelback, complimentary but different style and has a slightly different fanbase and they don't play stadiums so it would be worthwhile for them. Billed as the the two most hated bands in rock. I don't even like Nickelback all that much but I'd be interested in that pairing 

I honestly think Carrie Underwood would be more likely as a 'co headliner' at this point. I can't see Nickelback being a good fit at all, or any of those pop-rock kind of bands. Maybe RHCP, since they're another 'old school LA band' and they barely play more than 90 minutes at their own shows anyway lol. I think RHCP would probably be the closest to a real 'co headline' show, because if we move onto bands like the Foo Fighters or Metallica, GNR would definitely be the opening band...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I honestly think Carrie Underwood would be more likely as a 'co headliner' at this point. I can't see Nickelback being a good fit at all, or any of those pop-rock kind of bands. Maybe RHCP, since they're another 'old school LA band' and they barely play more than 90 minutes at their own shows anyway lol. I think RHCP would probably be the closest to a real 'co headline' show, because if we move onto bands like the Foo Fighters or Metallica, GNR would definitely be the opening band...

I wasn't really thinking co-headline, more of a big band that could bring in a slightly different crowd. Have you checked out Nickelback live? I've just seen clips but I can imagine a GNR crowd enjoying them - pyro, big choruses, big hits everybody knows. I'm not going to bat for Nickelback they were just one band that sprung to mind. Carrie underwood would be a leftfield choice, even with her supporting them before and helping out with vocals on that show... but in America that might work, Europe I don't think she's crossed over. Whatever they do there's only so many times they can take out Dirty honey, Gary Clarke Jr and Tyler Bryant. The scrapped covid tour with Smashing pumkins was a good match.

But yeah bands like Metallica/Foo figthers co-headlining with GNR makes no sense other if the bands just wanted to tour together despite each losing some money... which isn't impossible, but I think we can rule out Metallica ever touring with GNR again though😄

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I could see this happening a few years down the line. GNR can sell enough tickets on their own to not have to do it, but give it time.....

Motley will have retired and got back together again, that'll be a hot tour

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I wasn't really thinking co-headline, more of a big band that could bring in a slightly different crowd. Have you checked out Nickelback live? I've just seen clips but I can imagine a GNR crowd enjoying them - pyro, big choruses, big hits everybody knows. I'm not going to bat for Nickelback they were just one band that sprung to mind. Carrie underwood would be a leftfield choice, even with her supporting them before and helping out with vocals on that show... but in America that might work, Europe I don't think she's crossed over. Whatever they do there's only so many times they can take out Dirty honey, Gary Clarke Jr and Tyler Bryant. The scrapped covid tour with Smashing pumkins was a good match.

But yeah bands like Metallica/Foo figthers co-headlining with GNR makes no sense other if the bands just wanted to tour together despite each losing some money... which isn't impossible, but I think we can rule out Metallica ever touring with GNR again though😄

I haven't seen them, but I know people who have. If you like their music, their show is enjoyable. But 'pyro, big choruses and big hits' also applies to bands like Motley lol. Someone like Carrie is supposed to be a left-field choice, she's successful on her own and would bring a different audience, but there's also a connection.

I'd like to see them get 'weird' with the opening bands - Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Yelawolf, Foxy Shazam, Jelly Roll, Stop Light Observations, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, there's tons of cool artists they could bring on tour. I've seen 6 shows since 2016 and Alice In Chains opened 4 of them... I like AIC but give me some variety lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I haven't seen them, but I know people who have. If you like their music, their show is enjoyable. But 'pyro, big choruses and big hits' also applies to bands like Motley lol. Someone like Carrie is supposed to be a left-field choice, she's successful on her own and would bring a different audience, but there's also a connection.

I'd like to see them get 'weird' with the opening bands - Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Yelawolf, Foxy Shazam, Jelly Roll, Stop Light Observations, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, there's tons of cool artists they could bring on tour. I've seen 6 shows since 2016 and Alice In Chains opened 4 of them... I like AIC but give me some variety lol.

I saw Foxy Shazam open for Slash in 2012

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Their quasi-reunion is a little underwhelming, but at least they've released a few albums and are still a solid live band. 2012 was the first time I saw them, and they were incredible.

Agreed. It hasn't been the same since Church of Rock N Roll imo. Gonzo and then disbanding was a big mistake imo, as they had some amazing momentum in 2012. I saw them 3 times that year and they were a force to be reckoned with. Got to hang out with some of them at the gigs, too. They were really cool dudes at those shows

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Mötley Crüe isn't a stadium band, never has been, never will be. It needed Def Leppard to justify the move to stadiums, and from what I've seen, they're only booking things like county fairs now they've gone it alone

Motley Crue is headlining some of the DWP festivals like Louder Than Life, Aftershock and Rockville and people are not happy about it lol. I am going to LTL and I have not seen one person in the community say they want to see the Crue there. I know I'll be leaving early. I might stay a few songs to see the train wreck tho lol