Axl has his own Website now

On 4/19/2024 at 10:42 AM, themadcaplaughs said:

Despite the majority of CD2's costs for recording having been paid back, the label apparently did not want to spend another dime on other costs (like marketing) for "Axl's band" given the muted reception to Chinese Democracy. 

This seems strange to me. I've never heard of this with any other band that splits up. Roger Waters and David Gilmour never got rejected by their labels to release material unless they reunited.

On 4/19/2024 at 4:19 AM, Karice said:

To be fair, Axl was GRIEVING when he performed November Rain at Lisa Marie Presley's Funeral. Understandably he didn't sound his best. 💡

I thought he sounded fine. If anything, better than he usually does live because NR is pretty deep into a long setlist, as opposed to that being the only song he performed at the funeral.

• Like 1

For anyone worried about the book causing tension with Slash, I’m pretty certain the band would have been given an advanced copy or at least the portions pertaining to them. Axl wouldn’t just drop a bomb on them at the risk of causing the band to breakup again and cost millions of dollars. If there is one bad word about Slash or Duff, guaranteed they already know exactly what is said and have told Axl no worries

• Like 3

On 4/19/2024 at 5:42 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

My understanding, having been present on the message board of certain "insiders" (IYKYK) was that Chinese Democracy, against all odds, set the ledger to zero when it came to production costs. People throw around the $13 million dollar number a lot, but almost all of that was written off over the years through the various mergers and acquisitions of the record labels. Apparently, Universal only footed a small portion of the Chinese Democracy expenses before cutting off Axl in 2004. When Azoff, one of the most powerful managers in the business, negotiated the Best Buy deal, Best Buy covered the portion of the money Universal spent and ordered a million copies of the record. Despite all the money sunk into the project and the jokes made at its expense, Universal essentially went into immediate profit on the album AND got to state that the album debuted as a platinum record. The Azoff thing is tough. I have no doubt Azoff probably used less than truthful tactics with Axl, but at the end of it all, Azoff was probably the only person powerful enough in the business at the time to negotiate the deal he did. I honestly believe, without Azoff, Chinese Democracy would never have been released (at least in a conventional sense). 

Also worth nothing was that the costs of the Chinese Democracy sessions also (per the same "insider") covered the costs of the CD2 material. So beyond the fact that the record company made all their money back on Chinese Democracy, they also had the recording cots of the next album covered as well. The issue, apparently, came from the fact that the record label, in 2009/10 (when Axl wanted to release the next record), would not release anything unless Slash/Duff were back in the band in some capacity. Despite the majority of CD2's costs for recording having been paid back, the label apparently did not want to spend another dime on other costs (like marketing) for "Axl's band" given the muted reception to Chinese Democracy. 

So how did we get to where we are now (as @Blackstar laid out). As a former entertainment attorney, my guess would be one of two things:

1. Unlikely: Axl's contract had some kind of reversion right for masters. This would be very unlikely given that this is not something that really got added to contracts until fairly recently. 

2. More Likely: Given that things were in a "stalemate", the band probably paid a lump sum to acquire the masters back to the remainder of the songs with the record label having a right of first refusal on a distribution deal. In other words, the band would foot the costs for extra recording, mixing, mastering, videos, and the majority of the marketing. Under the distribution deal, the record label would pay to manufacture the physical product, coordinate getting the song on streaming and download platforms, and (possibly depending on the deal) paying some minor marketing costs. The record label would then take a cut of the money made from these sales/streams/downloads (usually 15% for a distribution deal vs the up to 80% a record label can take under a normal record contract). It's also possible, with a band the size of GN'R, they just paid the label a lump sum for these services and GN'R gets to keep all money from streaming/sales/downloads. 

This makes a lot of sense. Considering that there was zero promotion for the "new" songs from the label, I would guess marketing is not part of the distribution deal.

Regarding Azoff, even Fernando has admitted that he did "some really good shit". But he has also denied that CD2 was ever rejected by the label.

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This makes a lot of sense. Considering that there was zero promotion for the "new" songs from the label, I would guess marketing is not part of the distribution deal.

Regarding Azoff, even Fernando has admitted that he did "some really good shit". But he has also denied that CD2 was ever rejected by the label.

This whole conversation is pretty interesting. Where does this leave the rest of the tracks of CDII (or III) if they don't drop any more of these as singles? can they release them in an album with marketing on the discography's behalf?

5 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

This whole conversation is pretty interesting. Where does this leave the rest of the tracks of CDII (or III) if they don't drop any more of these as singles? can they release them in an album with marketing on the discography's behalf?

If marketing is not part of the distribution deal (and even if it is, as @themadcaplaughs explained, it would only be about the label covering some minor marketing costs), it doesn't make a difference whether it's singles or an album as far as promotion from the label is concerned.

9 hours ago, ryanf23 said:

For anyone worried about the book causing tension with Slash, I’m pretty certain the band would have been given an advanced copy or at least the portions pertaining to them. Axl wouldn’t just drop a bomb on them at the risk of causing the band to breakup again and cost millions of dollars. If there is one bad word about Slash or Duff, guaranteed they already know exactly what is said and have told Axl no worries

I'm not so sure. Axl released My World without telling Izzy that he would be releasing My World and Izzy was SHOCKED that Axl released My World without telling him anything about it! 🤭🤣

Hmm. About the Axl should do a TV Interview rather than a book, I was focused on the NOW instead of the future. Posters pointed out something like,"Books are forever. TV interviews might become dated in the future, hell, a lot of people don't even watch TV even in 2024, so TV is already becoming dated even in 2024. If anything MAYBE a PODCAST would be a great idea. " 💡

Edited by Karice

15 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

This seems strange to me. I've never heard of this with any other band that splits up. Roger Waters and David Gilmour never got rejected by their labels to release material unless they reunited.

I thought he sounded fine. If anything, better than he usually does live because NR is pretty deep into a long setlist, as opposed to that being the only song he performed at the funeral.

Music business was a LOT different in 1987 (when the Roger Waters/Pink Floyd split was finalized and the band released A Momentary Lapse of Reason) and when a potential follow up to Chinese Democracy would have been released (presumably, if the rumors were true, sometime between 2009-2011). The record companies were playing with a lot more money in 1987and could accept the risk of a Roger Waters-less Pink Floyd album underperforming (although it ended up being very successful). 

Also, differences in the band and publicity. Although Roger Waters had taken increasing control over the direction and sound of Pink Floyd through the 1970s until the release of The Final Cut in 1983, it's fair to say the majority of the general public was not really aware of the politics within Pink Floyd. After the departure of Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd was always seen as a somewhat "faceless" band by the general audiences. It was not until the band's contentious legal proceedings in 1987 that the issue of who constituted Pink Floyd really entered the public conversation. On the other hand, following the end of the Use Your Illusion tour, I think it's fair to say that Axl and Slash (and to a much lesser extent Duff) were the public "faces" of the band to many. Additionally, Guns N' Roses' internal dramas and personalities had been media fodder since pretty much day one; people always had a vested interest in who was in GN'R. I'd also guess it has to do with the fact that Guns N' Roses has always had larger than life personalities in the band whereas the members of Pink Floyd (again, excepting Syd) always had an "everyman" quality to them. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Never knew that Fernando directly addressed the Chinese Democracy follow-up rumors. I remember Axl obliquely referenced in a tweet when that supposed PowerPoint about the Chinese Democracy re-release/DJ Ashba version of "Better" was going to leak. What exactly did Fernando say? It's entirely possible Fernando is telling the truth. We know a lot of the rumors from that era of the band were b.s. by certain individuals trying to seek attention, but at the same time, the whole rumor about Axl wanting a new album to drop in 2010/11 always seemed very plausible to me. Also, Fernando is Axl's cheerleader, so even if the label did reject an album, the chances of Fernando openly admitting it seem slim. 

To be fair, it very well also could have been a situation where the label just did not want to release a record so soon after Chinese Democracy. Chinese Democracy dropped the end of 2008, and the band did not even start touring it until over a year later at the tail end of 2009. Even during 2010, the band's touring schedule was somewhat sporadic and we did not get a true North American tour until the end of 2011. Point being, if Axl really did approach the label in 2010 about a new record, it would not have been unfair for them to say they felt the band was still promoting Chinese Democracy and the sales of Chinese Democracy probably didn't justify rushing a second album into market quickly like with Radiohead and Kid A/Amnesiac or Metallica with Load/ReLoad. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Never knew that Fernando directly addressed the Chinese Democracy follow-up rumors. I remember Axl obliquely referenced in a tweet when that supposed PowerPoint about the Chinese Democracy re-release/DJ Ashba version of "Better" was going to leak. What exactly did Fernando say? It's entirely possible Fernando is telling the truth. We know a lot of the rumors from that era of the band were b.s. by certain individuals trying to seek attention, but at the same time, the whole rumor about Axl wanting a new album to drop in 2010/11 always seemed very plausible to me. Also, Fernando is Axl's cheerleader, so even if the label did reject an album, the chances of Fernando openly admitting it seem slim. 

To be fair, it very well also could have been a situation where the label just did not want to release a record so soon after Chinese Democracy. Chinese Democracy dropped the end of 2008, and the band did not even start touring it until over a year later at the tail end of 2009. Even during 2010, the band's touring schedule was somewhat sporadic and we did not get a true North American tour until the end of 2011. Point being, if Axl really did approach the label in 2010 about a new record, it would not have been unfair for them to say they felt the band was still promoting Chinese Democracy and the sales of Chinese Democracy probably didn't justify rushing a second album into market quickly like with Radiohead and Kid A/Amnesiac or Metallica with Load/ReLoad. 

He said it during the voice chat on the War Room discord in May 2020 (the audio can be found on youtube - around 1:50:00 minute mark):

Fan: Someone in chat asked this question that I think is pretty interesting. There was a rumor that Chinese Democracy 2 was supposed to be released in 2010 and it got turned down by the label. What's the deal with that?

Fernando: That's fake. The label never turned down anything that Axl says “I want to put this out”.

Fan: There was no Chinese Democracy 2 that was supposed to come out in 2010?

Fernando: No, the label never turned down anything. Not saying…  The one thing I can tell you for sure is that label would never turn anything down that Axl creates. That kind of answers… I mean, it answers the question, right? Without me telling you something that I can't tell you.

Fan: You basically confirm that rumor is false.

Fernando: Yeah, rumor is way false. There's no way. It’s like, you know - and that was before even [?] came about. That was when Jimmy Iovine was still there.

[...]

Fan: So what you just said about the label not turning down anything, so the reason we haven't get any music for 12 years is just because Axl wasn't interested on releasing anything?

Fernando: I can't comment on what Axl was willing or not willing to do. You know what I mean? It's up to him to do so. I'm just telling you that whatever you just said to me, it never happened. Because I know that that never happened.

Also earlier on Reddit (there being the usual Fernando), although that was about CD and the label in general:

2019_079.jpg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 1:59 PM, Chester 524 said:

I agree.  but I'd love to hear his side of the Cobain thing and what was going  through his mind when he found out Kurt died. which is also around the same time Duffs pancreas exploded....

I think Kurt had already refused to open for them at Axls request and had said a few negative things in the press about GnR so he took Courtneys jab at  him pretty hard. 

The purpose of the website is obvious, he's putting information together about what’s going on in Guns N’ Roses’ lives and how it's just as exciting and just as dangerous and just as heavy and just as real as people thought the hype scene to be.  One look at the website makes that clear.

• Haha 3

most part of the time rock n'roll books are pretty boring, it's usually the same stories fans already knows,
the fear of facing a trial, especially in a society like the USA, prevents one from recounting events in detail
that implicate other individuals, and this often leads to lukewarm or watered-down books that are relatively
uninteresting. I hope Axl managed to avoid these pitfalls and will offer us an honest and relatively
comprehensive book at a fair price, because we're all stingy.

6 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Music business was a LOT different in 1987 (when the Roger Waters/Pink Floyd split was finalized and the band released A Momentary Lapse of Reason) and when a potential follow up to Chinese Democracy would have been released (presumably, if the rumors were true, sometime between 2009-2011). The record companies were playing with a lot more money in 1987and could accept the risk of a Roger Waters-less Pink Floyd album underperforming (although it ended up being very successful). 

Also, differences in the band and publicity. Although Roger Waters had taken increasing control over the direction and sound of Pink Floyd through the 1970s until the release of The Final Cut in 1983, it's fair to say the majority of the general public was not really aware of the politics within Pink Floyd. After the departure of Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd was always seen as a somewhat "faceless" band by the general audiences. It was not until the band's contentious legal proceedings in 1987 that the issue of who constituted Pink Floyd really entered the public conversation. On the other hand, following the end of the Use Your Illusion tour, I think it's fair to say that Axl and Slash (and to a much lesser extent Duff) were the public "faces" of the band to many. Additionally, Guns N' Roses' internal dramas and personalities had been media fodder since pretty much day one; people always had a vested interest in who was in GN'R. I'd also guess it has to do with the fact that Guns N' Roses has always had larger than life personalities in the band whereas the members of Pink Floyd (again, excepting Syd) always had an "everyman" quality to them. 

Okay, how about Oasis? You could apply it to literally any band in any era, I picked Floyd out of a hat. System of a Down? I think it's a heck of a stretch to call Floyd a "faceless band".

Regardless I find it hard to believe that the music industry is hurting for money as the explanation.

And it's easy as a fan to think that everyone knows Axl and Slash, but 9/10 people who aren't guitarists or rock fans have no clue who Slash is. That's why NuGuns was able to skate on the old legacy for so long. Most of my friends only know Slash because I'm a fan and I talk about GNR.

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Okay, how about Oasis? You could apply it to literally any band in any era, I picked Floyd out of a hat. System of a Down? I think it's a heck of a stretch to call Floyd a "faceless band".

Regardless I find it hard to believe that the music industry is hurting for money as the explanation.

And it's easy as a fan to think that everyone knows Axl and Slash, but 9/10 people who aren't guitarists or rock fans have no clue who Slash is. That's why NuGuns was able to skate on the old legacy for so long. Most of my friends only know Slash because I'm a fan and I talk about GNR.

Ok. It seems like you're taking my talking in broad strokes and trying to make it sound like seem like I spoke in definites. If you're going to say something like "most non-GNR fans don't know who Slash and Axl Rose are", it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to say that "most non-Pink Floyd fans don't know who David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, and Rick Wright are". Also, why are you bringing up Oasis? I do not claim to know much about them (I think they are one of the most wildly overhyped bands of all time), but to my knowldge, they were never in a situation where they were releasing music or touring without one of their two most famous members. 

Regarding "nu-GNR", it kind of only furthers my own point that people see Slash as one of the faces of Guns N' Roses. Look at the history of "nuGNR" in thier home country; they struggled to cosnsitently sell arenas. Their two big arena tours in North America (2002/2011) largley struggled to get anywhere close to fillung arenas. I'm not going to say there weren't certain markets where they did well (MSG in 2002 being a notable example of an arena show that went well), but when they played full tours, they struggled to even sell 1/3 of the tickets at some venues. They really forwent even playing a true "full" North American tour in 2006. By the final year of "nuGNR" (2014), the band was for all purposes really a band that could fill large theaters and the occasional festival in the United States. Yes, there were always going to be ticket sales from: (i) hard core fans and (ii) general audience who would see GN'R under any configuration just to hear Axl sing the songs, but in terms of ticket sales, they weren't close to the classic lineup in the 1990s. The second Slash and Duff stepped back in, the band immediately went back to playing stadiums and the band's press coverage for their shows was immediately expanded. 

Smashing Pumpkins, in my opinion, represents the closest analogy to "nuGNR" in terms of how things played out. You had a classic band lineup whose image was a huge part of the band's popularity in addition to its music. When the band came back in 2007 with only two member of the band's most well-known lineup, the band managed to get some early buzz based off the name recognition, but were playing smaller and smaller venues with less fully-attended shows. The trend only continued when Billy Corgan continued the band with him as the sole member of the classic lineup. The second the Jimmy Chamberlin and James Iha returned to the band in 2018, there was substantially more interest in the band then there had been in the previous decade. 

Regarding the music buisness aspect, it's a known fact that music had been in a downward trajectory beginning around the year 2000 due to music piracy. If we go by the rumor that Axl wanted to release a follow-up to Chinese Democracy in 2010/11, that would have really corresponded to the time in the music business when revenue was at an all time low. Admittedly, the music business being at an all time low is much more income than we could ever imagine, but there was still a general feeling that the music industry was decimated and would not take unnecessary risks: particualrly one like releasing another album by "nu-GNR" when the previous one was met with lukwarm sales. It really was not until 2014 that most people see streaming as moving the music buisness regaining much of its income. 

If you do not think the rumor of "CD2" is true, that's totally fine. But that does mean you have to ignore what objectively true facts regarding the status of Guns N' Roses as certain times. I've found that most people who shoot down this rumor do not do so based on objective facts or statements (like Fernando's comments @Blackstar provided), but simply because they do not like admitting that, based purely on ticket sales and album sales, "nuGNR" was, at best, an experiment with mixed results if not a failure (which, of course is not to downplay it's artistic merit; I love all eras of the band). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He said it during the voice chat on the War Room discord in May 2020 (the audio can be found on youtube - around 1:50:00 minute mark):

Fan: Someone in chat asked this question that I think is pretty interesting. There was a rumor that Chinese Democracy 2 was supposed to be released in 2010 and it got turned down by the label. What's the deal with that?

Fernando: That's fake. The label never turned down anything that Axl says “I want to put this out”.

Fernando: No, the label never turned down anything. Not saying…  The one thing I can tell you for sure is that label would never turn anything down that Axl creates. That kind of answers… I mean, it answers the question, right? Without me telling you something that I can't tell you.

Fernando: Yeah, rumor is way false. There's no way. It’s like, you know - and that was before even [?] came about. That was when Jimmy Iovine was still there.

[...]

Fan: So what you just said about the label not turning down anything, so the reason we haven't get any music for 12 years is just because Axl wasn't interested on releasing anything?

Fernando: I can't comment on what Axl was willing or not willing to do. You know what I mean? It's up to him to do so. I'm just telling you that whatever you just said to me, it never happened. Because I know that that never happened.

Also earlier on Reddit (there being the usual Fernando), although that was about CD and the label in general:

2019_079.jpg

Thanks! I had never seen this. Again, maybe Fernando is being 100% sincere and honest with these comments. Given what we know about Fernando, however, I tend to take everything he says with a large grain of sale. Within all these comments, you can see him choosing his words carefully and making huge qualifications on his statements ("the one thing I can say for sure", "I can't comment on what Axl is willing or not willing to do," etc.). We know from others (Skrewel being a notable example) that Fernando just lies to make himself sound more knowledgable on certain things than the may actually be. Reading this, and giving all positive benefits of doub to Fernando, I read this to say that maybe the label did not definitively say "no" to a new record at that time, but that the situation was more complex than "Axl will givem them an album and they'll release it immediately". Like all things, the truth was probably in the middle. Maybe the label was willing to talk about a new album, but would not entertain certain expectations Axl had in how it would be marketed. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Axl might have something up his sleeve, something REALLY good(Getting EVERY single Guns N'Roses Member on stage for at least one show,Axl,  Steven, Izzy, Slash, Duff, Bumblefoot, Robin, Buckethead, Tommy, Melissa, Dizzy, Matt, DJ Ashba, Teddy, Frank, Chris, Tracii, Rob, Paul, Gilby, Josh, Brain and Richard, only person missing is Ole due to his death around 1991) 💡

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Wait....what? People don't know Slash? He is as crossover a guitarist as there's perhaps every been....dude just infiltrated the Oscars the other week and next he's vlogging with Skateboarders or slipping into Demi's DM's....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

[...]

2019_079.jpg

Ha, whenever I come across anything this clown produces, it still manages to piss me off a little bit. He is a manager after all, isn’t he. 
Like always. "No, I can’t tell you anything. What you guys are saying here is obviously absolutely ridiculous. No, the label couldn’t say 'no' to Axl, how would they dare! No, you’re wrong about everything. Can’t tell you anything, everything is to be kept super secret, even though it’s decades old. I do know anything and everything, how cool am I. But no, can’t talk about it, except that you losers are wrong, and Axl is a god. I know everything. Can’t tell you about any plans either, except that they're there and I naturally do know them all. Some people make so much shit up, and some are never satisfied, think they know stuff or can demand things. No, only I do, only I can. 
Gotta go, new album in 6 months, yes, no, maybe."

Why do the chat then? What a fucking narcissistic prick. 

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Ha, whenever I come across anything this clown produces, it still manages to piss me off a little bit. He is a manager after all, isn’t he. 
Like always. "No, I can’t tell you anything. What you guys are saying here is obviously absolutely ridiculous. No, the label couldn’t say 'no' to Axl, how would they dare! No, you’re wrong about everything. Can’t tell you anything, everything is to be kept super secret, even though it’s decades old. I do know anything and everything, how cool am I. But no, can’t talk about it, except that you losers are wrong, and Axl is a god. I know everything. Can’t tell you about any plans either, except that they're there and I naturally do know them all. Some people make so much shit up, and some are never satisfied, think they know stuff or can demand things. No, only I do, only I can. 
Gotta go, new album in 6 months, yes, no, maybe."

Why do the chat then? What a fucking narcissistic prick. 

MAYBE Fernando was trying to avoid possibly pissing off Axl. If Axl was my Client, I'd be afraid to say something like, "Yes, Chinese Democracy 2  was supposed to be released in 2010 but Axl wasn't ready to release it in 2010 and I'm not sure Axl will EVER release it." I'd worry about the MASSIVE heat and flack I'd get from Axl for admitting that Axl was the reason Chinese Democracy 2 was never released. 😵‍💫 So I feel Fernando is playing it safe. 💡🤔

19 minutes ago, Karice said:

MAYBE Fernando was trying to avoid possibly pissing off Axl. If Axl was my Client, I'd be afraid to say something like, "Yes, Chinese Democracy 2  was supposed to be released in 2010 but Axl wasn't ready to release it in 2010 and I'm not sure Axl will EVER release it." I'd worry about the MASSIVE heat and flack I'd get from Axl for admitting that Axl was the reason Chinese Democracy 2 was never released. 😵‍💫 So I feel Fernando is playing it safe. 💡🤔

Of course, there’s no doubts this aspect is in play, but that doesn’t mean this idiocy is the only way it can be handled. (And if it was, there’d be no point in communicating at all in the first place.)

25 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Of course, there’s no doubts this aspect is in play, but that doesn’t mean this idiocy is the only way it can be handled. (And if it was, there’d be no point in communicating at all in the first place.)

Maybe Fernie could have just said,"I have no comment?" 🤔💡

Look, this is a pretty pointless argument. In the 20+ years of having to deal with Team Brazil the one thing we've all learned is that they will always do the dumbest, most senseless, most idiotic, most unprofessional thing possible. That's just a fact of life for us as fans that we sadly have to live with. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1